Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JK Rowling writes "acclaimed" crime novel under pseudonym of first time author.

• 15-07-2013 12:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure whether here or Literature is more appropriate. I'll leave that up to the evil mods. She is Harry's mammy. :)
    JK Rowling has spoken of the "liberating experience" of adopting a nom de plume after it was revealed that the Harry Potter creator was behind a critically acclaimed crime novel published under the name Robert Galbraith

The Cuckoo's Calling, billed as the debut novel of Galbraith, a pseudonym for a man with a background in the army and the civilian security industry, won praise from crime writers and critics who hailed the author as a new force in the genre.

Writing in the Guardian last week, Val McDermid, the acknowledged queen of the pyschological thriller, described the book as embracing "the best of traditional mystery fiction, private-eye pace and the kind of writing that reminds me why I love this genre".

However, it appears that for some it was a bit too accomplished for a debut novel, which led the Sunday Times to investigate and reveal the writer's true identity as Britain's best-selling author of all time.

Rowling expressed regret that she had been found out. "I had hoped to keep this secret a little longer because being Robert Galbraith has been such a liberating experience," she said. "It has been wonderful to publish without hype or expectation, and pure pleasure to get feedback under a different name."

The book, about a war veteran turned private investigator called Cormoran Strike, and described by the publisher as based on Galbraith's "own experiences and those of his military colleagues", has sold 1,500 copies in hardback since it was released in April.

Source.

Advertisement