Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climbing Knocknarea in Strandhill

Options
  • 15-07-2013 1:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys.

So a few friends and I decided to climb Knocknarea on Saturday, God knows we were long enough looking up at it from the ground!! fantastic crowd, mostly tourists but the odd local too. made the summit in about 30 mins, took about 25 coming down again.

However as you would expect the pathway up and down is as natural as you can get, (apart from the abandoned HB ice cream fridge), it was the state of the car park that I was annoyed with. I thought that either Sligo Coco or Strandhill tidy towns would have at least cleaned up the car park before the summer started, there was no visible information point to at least cover the basics as to the history of the mountain, the fencing around the car park had seen better days and I'd safely say had never seen a coat of paint, there was a port-a-loo on site which had no soap or tissue and smelt more like a Russian fish monger on a sunny day.

And of course let me not forget the black plastic bags of rubbish at the side of the toilet, honestly there is no need for this car park to be in this condition, this is one of Sligo's greatest natural tourist attractions and it's is a heap! :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Glad you enjoyed the walk and the view. Sorry to hear that 20 years since they built the carpark, they still have no bins or real toilet. The woman who lives beside it used to clean up but it got too much for her. Only reason there is a Portaloo is because she hounded the council for years as she was sick of people knocking on her door asking to use her toilet.
    Recently the council proposed removing the bins from the seafront at Strandhill, because too many people were using them. They tried to claim they were being forced into it because people were dumping household rubbish in them. They weren't. From Friday morning to Monday over a sunny weekend, they get full. End of.
    They also proposed removing the main carpark in Strandhill as nobody uses it. That was a few years back but I see they recently tried to re-zone it again.
    These are the same people who knocked the public toilets in Strandhill. All I can say is this is welcome to Sligo, the mostly beautiful and most ineptly ran county in Ireland :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

I don't even remember public toilets in Strandhill!!!

It's ridiculous what the CoCo pump money into (city loop signage?!) forgetting to put it where it would be best suited to increase tourism footfall in this county!! Sligo has absolutely everything going for it, there's no reason why we shouldn't get as many crowds here as Galway if it was advertised/marketed/ran efficiently.

Irritating at best!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

il gatto wrote: »
    Glad you enjoyed the walk and the view. Sorry to hear that 20 years since they built the carpark, they still have no bins or real toilet. The woman who lives beside it used to clean up but it got too much for her. Only reason there is a Portaloo is because she hounded the council for years as she was sick of people knocking on her door asking to use her toilet.
    Recently the council proposed removing the bins from the seafront at Strandhill, because too many people were using them. They tried to claim they were being forced into it because people were dumping household rubbish in them. They weren't. From Friday morning to Monday over a sunny weekend, they get full. End of.
    They also proposed removing the main carpark in Strandhill as nobody uses it. That was a few years back but I see they recently tried to re-zone it again.
    These are the same people who knocked the public toilets in Strandhill. All I can say is this is welcome to Sligo, the mostly beautiful and most ineptly ran county in Ireland :(

The mountain car park is there a lot longer than 20 years!

To be fair about the public toilet demolition though, that happenned around the end of the eighties. There were no tourists..and as an overflow carpark for the beach parking area it was always empty...had been for many years...the toilets were similarly unused...except for us kids playing, climbing on the roof etc. As such during that recession they stopped maintaining it and it fell into dangerous disrepair. Locals wanted rid of it make the area safer for their kids.

Agree the council are the usual gang of old boy beer drinking wasters still representing us from a bygone era.

That said many councils are like that and the Dail is basically graduation to the Dail bar for these lads. That's not going to change anytime soon as its too difficult for anyone other than this "type" to get into politics in meaningful numbers.

I think it might be in places like Strandhill's interest to have a community group manage tourist assets. If they achieved this they would still have to get some funding from council but might be in a stronger position to do so, if local votes were at stake. There are several graves on top of that mountain. And a massive quarried hole where presumably the rocks were excavated to build the Cairn. For a small outlay proper signage could be installed, including a small interpretative looped walk on the summit. The current summer crowds and any increased crowds due to improved facilities could support a small tourism/coffee cabin.

There seems to be a trend for people taking matters into their own hands already in Strandhill...a local group has been been organising cleanups and petitioning for proper signage. in Sligo too.... with the excellent tourism campaign which is hitting home big time in Dublin.

Another point about knocknarea: The cairn is, i think, the biggest in Ireland. Excavation is being largely left to future archaologists with better technology. No problem there. However, visitors through not being informed are climbing to the top of the cairn, creating a path which is being eroded into a gully...which will cause the cairn to capsize inside. The council dont even care enough to even maintain a sign that would protect the tourism asset. I think pressure could be put on them from national and wider organisations on this issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Very interesting thread with great responses. Any chance the contributors would consider emailing the discussion to the local papers? I'm pretty sure they'd print it, maybe front page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I agree Kettleson, maybe Ocean fm also.
    Going off topic for a moment, there's a very good letter in the Champion today regarding the closure of an old road that leads onto BenBulben. Apparently some assho*le has taken it on himself to close it!
    These two mountains are two of our most beautiful and natural assets and should be exploited for tourism purposes as such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

Its amazing, the Knocknarea walk has to be one of the best reasons to come to Sligo and during the summer that car park is packed with cars, it is very popular with locals as well as tourists .. but how come it has been neglected, look at the new car park over at the base of Benbulbin .. the Barnaribbon one..while its a lovely walk its not a patch on walking up Knocknarea but it is really well developed and looked after.

and whats the story with that Fridge

Scarlet42 wrote: »
    Its amazing, the Knocknarea walk has to be one of the best reasons to come to Sligo and during the summer that car park is packed with cars, it is very popular with locals as well as tourists .. but how come it has been neglected, look at the new car park over at the base of Benbulbin .. the Barnaribbon one..while its a lovely walk its not a patch on walking up Knocknarea but it is really well developed and looked after.

and whats the story with that Fridge
    That park is purely for the mountain walk, you don' climb the mountain from there. I think Coillte may also have had a big input in it's developement.
    We really need to start promoting tourism properly now that there's little other natural industries.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I'm sure we've all heard the recent promo push for attracting vistors to Sligo. It certainly has been all over the radio.

The "Sligo - who knew?" campaign.

Ya, who knew the council would leave our landmark attraction looking like a tip. Yet sadly, it comes as no surprise, Bloody muppets!

In fairness CM, it's the people who do the littering who are to blame, not the people who clean up or are expected to clean up.

red sean wrote: »
    In fairness CM, it's the people who do the littering who are to blame, not the people who clean up or are expected to clean up.

^^^ this

I mean the state Rosses Point gets left in after a good sunny spell. CoCo could punch a big hole in their debts by having the litter warden take a stroll on a hot day round the beaches. It's not hard putting wrappers/rubbish back in the bag you brought them in until you come to a bin, yet many seem disabled to do this. Don't get me started on canine faeces!!

What road was closed onto Benbulben? I hope it's not the turn off near Glencar waterfall?

• Advertisement

No FoxyVixen not in Glencar. It's at Barnaribbon and is the main and safest way to climb the mountain. It's not a road as such, but an old green stony lane that leads you onto the mountain proper. Not sure of the details, so I have to be careful!
    It appears some farmer claims it's his and not a right of way, although it's been used by farmers, hillwalkers etc. for centuries.

If you follow the signs from Drumcliffe for BenBulben Farmhouse B&B you'll find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Eh? I didn't say anything about people having the right to throw their shít everywhere. And I have already given my views in this forum in the past about such ignorant idiots.

But since we have a national advertising campaign right now, which is promoting the merits of visiting our wonderful county. Perhaps the council might have a brain cell amongst them, to just check up on our beauty sites and make sure they are tickety boo so to speak.

Indeed we seem to be living in an era now, of ever increasing ignorance, lack of consideration and a general lack of manners. So we need the CoCo more than ever, to ensure our areas of natural beauty are regularly looked after.

The issues the OP highlighted - abandoned rubbish bags, no information point. I mean these are all the basics you'd expect from any CoCo to look after. It's not as if you might miss Knocknarea as you enter Sligo. So how they can overlook it is an embarrassing joke.

I was'nt disputing the need for information signs etc., it was this line from your post that I referred to:
    Ya, who knew the council would leave our landmark attraction looking like a tip. Yet sadly, it comes as no surprise, Bloody muppets!

@CM

A thought provoking comment you make "it's not as if you miss Knocknarea as you enter Sligo".

Knocknarea is not very obvious when approaching from Donegal/the north (?).

When approaching from the north, you would have to drive through and across the town and onwards to get a decent view of Knocknarea. Benbulben and The Ox Mountains dominating the immediate landscape as you approach Sligo.

When approaching from Dublin direction, you would have to be taking in a quick 180 degree panoramic view to observe Knocknarea, the more enduring and dramatic view of Benbulben catching the visitors eye.

Whereas when approaching from Mayo, the view of Knocknarea is sublime and unmissable.

My point perhaps is that Knocknarea is not really considered/valued enough by Sligo Co-Co Tourism.

Benbulben holding the questionable ace card due to its prominence when approaching from Dublin and the north (?).

T runner wrote: »
    The mountain car park is there a lot longer than 20 years!

To be fair about the public toilet demolition though, that happenned around the end of the eighties. There were no tourists..and as an overflow carpark for the beach parking area it was always empty...had been for many years...the toilets were similarly unused...except for us kids playing, climbing on the roof etc. As such during that recession they stopped maintaining it and it fell into dangerous disrepair. Locals wanted rid of it make the area safer for their kids.

Agree the council are the usual gang of old boy beer drinking wasters still representing us from a bygone era.

That said many councils are like that and the Dail is basically graduation to the Dail bar for these lads. That's not going to change anytime soon as its too difficult for anyone other than this "type" to get into politics in meaningful numbers.

I think it might be in places like Strandhill's interest to have a community group manage tourist assets. If they achieved this they would still have to get some funding from council but might be in a stronger position to do so, if local votes were at stake. There are several graves on top of that mountain. And a massive quarried hole where presumably the rocks were excavated to build the Cairn. For a small outlay proper signage could be installed, including a small interpretative looped walk on the summit. The current summer crowds and any increased crowds due to improved facilities could support a small tourism/coffee cabin.

There seems to be a trend for people taking matters into their own hands already in Strandhill...a local group has been been organising cleanups and petitioning for proper signage. in Sligo too.... with the excellent tourism campaign which is hitting home big time in Dublin.

Another point about knocknarea: The cairn is, i think, the biggest in Ireland. Excavation is being largely left to future archaologists with better technology. No problem there. However, visitors through not being informed are climbing to the top of the cairn, creating a path which is being eroded into a gully...which will cause the cairn to capsize inside. The council dont even care enough to even maintain a sign that would protect the tourism asset. I think pressure could be put on them from national and wider organisations on this issue.

There was a small area to park there before. It's only 20 odd years since that carpark was built.
    The toilets in Strandhill were there until about 12 years ago, albeit closed the last few years before being knocked. You can see them on the Ordnance Survey ortho map in 2000. The carpark was often full back then as the beach wasn't off limits for swimmers.
    Strandhill has had a development association going on 20 years now. They often lobby the council on matters relating to doing their job properly. There is also the Warrior's Run committee. And the Go Strandhill inititive. Fairplay to all of them but when the powers that be drag their feet, what they can achieve is being hampered.
    The council do employ people to do those obvious jobs like picking up litter and emptying bins. Unfortunately the people they employ don't do a very good job and there seems to be zero supervision. I see a council lorry cruising around the last few years with the same new shovels on the back with the paint not even scratched on them yet.
    Every time I travel north, the well kept towns with bins and public toilets is very refreshing to see.

I think if the Co Co had litter wardens on patrol who had the power to issue on the spot fines, similar to the traffic wardens, then maybe we would'nt have this thread. The revenue generated would pay the wages , general costs involved and maybe have a badly needed cash surplus leftover.
    Bye-laws may need to be changed to do this, I don't know, but I'd reckon if you hit them in the pocket it will make them re-think their litter disposal attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

.......Another point about knocknarea: The cairn is, i think, the biggest in Ireland. Excavation is being largely left to future archaologists with better technology. No problem there. However, visitors through not being informed are climbing to the top of the cairn, creating a path which is being eroded into a gully...which will cause the cairn to capsize inside. The council dont even care enough to even maintain a sign that would protect the tourism asset. I think pressure could be put on them from national and wider organisations on this issue.

IIRC it was the Office of Public Works who hired people about 2/3 years ago to remain on the mountain and stop people climbing the cairn. No more than asking people not to swim at Strandhill Beach, all they got was abuse and as they had no real power all they ended up doing after about 3 weeks on the job for teh Summer Months was to sit around sunning themselves (in fairness to them they did a bit of litter cleaning).

Considering the Cairn and the Pyramids of Egypt were built around the same time, try climbing a pyramid at Giza and you'll be hit with a huge fine and jail time. But the Cairn at Knocknarea is a free for all as some parents allow their kids throw and roll the stones off the top (I was told mind my own business when I objected) and people are happy write their names in the grass with the rocks from the grave. Unbelievable.

OPW are in charge of the cairn as it's a national monument, but the beaches are the responsibility of the Co Co.

There was a small area to park there before. It's only 20 odd years since that carpark was built.

I have to disagree. There has been a tarmac'ed carpark here as far back as i can remember. Thats the 70's. It may have been resurfaced/extended 20 years ago, but its been there and tarmaced since long before.

The toilets in Strandhill were there until about 12 years ago, albeit closed the last few years before being knocked. You can see them on the Ordnance Survey ortho map in 2000. The carpark was often full back then as the beach wasn't off limits for swimmers.

Strandhill had a reputation for being dangerous to swim and hadnt had crowds big enough to spill into that carpark since the 70's. The toilets had been disused anyway for many years and were likely in a dangerous condition. The council replaced them at that time with public toilets in the maritime centre. The demolition of those toilets had public support i think.
    All i'm saying is that criticisng the council on this issue may be unfair.

The council do employ people to do those obvious jobs like picking up litter and emptying bins. Unfortunately the people they employ don't do a very good job and there seems to be zero supervision. I see a council lorry cruising around the last few years with the same new shovels on the back with the paint not even scratched on them yet.

With respect, the problems in the public service in ireland are with management and not with front line workers. i.e too many incompetent Chiefs, "managing" too many Indians. The (management) solution seems to be to reduce the number of Indians which means less savings and deteriorating services. There are plenty of supervisors and higher level management but many (not all) are busy managing "strategic" issues on their computers.

Every time I travel north, the well kept towns with bins and public toilets is very refreshing to see.

They are managed better, for sure. Dont forget also that they get a de-facto bailout of 20 billion per annum (which they dont have to pay back) from South East England. That makes a difference. (*The UK can just about afford a smaller completely dependent member like NI. Having all Ireland as a dependent member (100 billion per annum) would sink their public finances).

I just think we need to be realistic and fair in criticism. Easier to resolve issues when they are identified accurately, i guess. That said i agree with your most of your assesments particularly of the council itself. Some may have their heart in the right place, but the "type" that gets elected tends to be a middle aged, wife at home (clueless about childcare), conservative, fond of the pints, guy straight from the 70's. Political reform is clearly needed to remove barriers that stop more modern and talented people getting in. I don't think the "type" we see in councils and dail is representative of us any longer.
    Ok enough rambling from me!

T runner, thats a good and fair post!
    However, on this:
    Political reform is clearly needed to remove barriers that stop more modern and talented people getting in. I don't think the "type" we see in councils and dail is representative of us any longer.
    The only two reasons that stop more more modern and talented people being elected to Co Co's or Dail is :
    1 They don't go forward for election or
    2 They don't get enough votes.
    We do live in a democracy, so we can't very well exterminate the older generations who raised us. :D

Anyway enough off topic...

• Advertisement

I have to disagree. There has been a tarmac'ed carpark here as far back as i can remember. Thats the 70's. It may have been resurfaced/extended 20 years ago, but its been there and tarmaced since long before.

Strandhill had a reputation for being dangerous to swim and hadnt had crowds big enough to spill into that carpark since the 70's. The toilets had been disused anyway for many years and were likely in a dangerous condition. The council replaced them at that time with public toilets in the maritime centre. The demolition of those toilets had public support i think.
    All i'm saying is that criticisng the council on this issue may be unfair.

With respect, the problems in the public service in ireland are with management and not with front line workers. i.e too many incompetent Chiefs, "managing" too many Indians. The (management) solution seems to be to reduce the number of Indians which means less savings and deteriorating services. There are plenty of supervisors and higher level management but many (not all) are busy managing "strategic" issues on their computers.

They are managed better, for sure. Dont forget also that they get a de-facto bailout of 20 billion per annum (which they dont have to pay back) from South East England. That makes a difference. (*The UK can just about afford a smaller completely dependent member like NI. Having all Ireland as a dependent member (100 billion per annum) would sink their public finances).

I just think we need to be realistic and fair in criticism. Easier to resolve issues when they are identified accurately, i guess. That said i agree with your most of your assesments particularly of the council itself. Some may have their heart in the right place, but the "type" that gets elected tends to be a middle aged, wife at home (clueless about childcare), conservative, fond of the pints, guy straight from the 70's. Political reform is clearly needed to remove barriers that stop more modern and talented people getting in. I don't think the "type" we see in councils and dail is representative of us any longer.
    Ok enough rambling from me!

Disagree with what exactly? I said there was a parking area and that the particular carpark which is there now, is 20ish years old. What is your point?
    I know Strandhill is dangerous. I've lived there most of my life. But it had lifeguards and bathing was permitted. The carpark was regularly busy. Especially as the seafront ended just over halfway down it's current length.
    The toilets were knocked as they had been left to rot for a few years and were never maintained even when they were open. A few parents who thought they posed a threat to their kids supported their demolition. Most people just wondered why they didn't fix them up and open them.
    The maritime center toilets are hidden away in the seaweed baths. Most tourist and many locals have no idea they exist.

I'm all for criticising the county council's management, but it doesn't absolve the workers from doing the job they are paid to do. I see them in action and wonder what pull they had to get the job as they're never advertised in the papers so that people who may have some pride in their work can have a shot at applying.

T runner, thats a good and fair post!
    However, on this:
    The only two reasons that stop more more modern and talented people being elected to Co Co's or Dail is :
    1 They don't go forward for election or
    2 They don't get enough votes.
    We do live in a democracy, so we can't very well exterminate the older generations who raised us. :D

Anyway enough off topic...

They dont go forward for election because they cant. There are barriers that stop certain types of people getting into politics and keep certain types in politics. These barriers stopped the majority of the older generations getting into politics just as it does us.

For instance, it is currently not doable to be a family man or woman and get into politics. Everything mitigates against this. This one barrier excludes almost a majority of Irish adults immediately.
    Other countries allow for this with family friendly flexitime, meeting hours, dail times etc etc.
    We dont. Why would you need family friendly hours? Sure isnt your wife not at home minding the kids? oh youre a woman?...are you shure this politics lark is for you?

The vast majority of our representatives are old style conservative middle aged men from a few select professions with the wife at home. The vast majority of Irish people are not like this.

If the vast majority of politicians are of this type how can we claim to have a representative democracy? Immediately we can say, women are not represented, children are inadequately represented because they dont rear their own children (we know the horrible consequences of this one), many professions arent represented, many classes, minorities etc.

If they free up politics for more talented people, thats good. I dont see them doing it without forcing representation on them. We have had a massive crises in recent years and they havent changed...no new political party has been able to emerge.

Theres a reason why we have continually poor politicians locally and nationally compared to other professions here. (look at the innovative standards in IT).

If only middle aged conservative men with wife at home were allowed into IT (or any other sector) wouldnt we have the same predictably poor results?

Way off topic now!

Disagree with what exactly? I said there was a parking area and that the particular carpark which is there now, is 20ish years old. What is your point?

The particular tarmac-edcarpark which is there now is there since at least the 70's with small alterations. I know because ive been climbing that mountain since then.

I know Strandhill is dangerous. I've lived there most of my life. But it had lifeguards and bathing was permitted. The carpark was regularly busy.

The carpark was not regularly busy until the real boom years. The warriors run around then had merely 150 runners. Thats pre-boom. That spilled into the carpark allright but that was an exception. It was de-facto empty all year around. Bathing was permitetd but only a handful swam as itw as dangerous.

The 15 years previously the carpark was deserted nobody used the loo except us kids palying. I guess you dont remember because you are too young?

The toilets were knocked as they had been left to rot for a few years and were never maintained even when they were open. A few parents who thought they posed a threat to their kids supported their demolition. Most people just wondered why they didn't fix them up and open them.

As pointed out, the 80's were a worse recession than present. Councils were skint expecially after house rates were abolished in the late 70's. Is it really that surprising councils stopped wasting resources on disused public toilets?

All the parents of the boys and girls i played with were delighted to see the back of them

The maritime center toilets are hidden away in the seaweed baths. Most tourist and many locals have no idea they exist.

Thats a signage issue only. If you have an issue with the signage of public toilets then fair enough. If youre attacking the council for demolishing a dangerous building then i disagree.
    I'm all for criticising the county council's management, but it doesn't absolve the workers from doing the job they are paid to do.

They are paid to be directed by management. E.G If management doesnt organise and direct the erection of signage then that is an issue of poor management. If workers are left unsuperivised then work standards fall. Otherwise why have supervisors management? It is the key management element that is missing.
    I see them in action and wonder what pull they had to get the job as they're never advertised in the papers so that people who may have some pride in their work can have a shot at applying.

All public service jobs are advertised through national media. Please stop tainting public service front line workers unfairly. Look at the enxt line up, if you must, who work on "strategy" on their PCs instead of going out, supervising and getting their hands dirty with their teams.

BTW there was plenty of public service jobs gong during the boom. If you are civic minded and have pride in your work then why didnt you go for one then?

The particular tarmac-edcarpark which is there now is there since at least the 70's with small alterations. I know because ive been climbing that mountain since then.

The carpark was not regularly busy until the real boom years. The warriors run around then had merely 150 runners. Thats pre-boom. That spilled into the carpark allright but that was an exception. It was de-facto empty all year around. Bathing was permitetd but only a handful swam as itw as dangerous.

The 15 years previously the carpark was deserted nobody used the loo except us kids palying. I guess you dont remember because you are too young?

As pointed out, the 80's were a worse recession than present. Councils were skint expecially after house rates were abolished in the late 70's. Is it really that surprising councils stopped wasting resources on disused public toilets?

All the parents of the boys and girls i played with were delighted to see the back of them

Thats a signage issue only. If you have an issue with the signage of public toilets then fair enough. If youre attacking the council for demolishing a dangerous building then i disagree.

They are paid to be directed by management. E.G If management doesnt organise and direct the erection of signage then that is an issue of poor management. If workers are left unsuperivised then work standards fall. Otherwise why have supervisors management? It is the key management element that is missing.

All public service jobs are advertised through national media. Please stop tainting public service front line workers unfairly. Look at the enxt line up, if you must, who work on "strategy" on their PCs instead of going out, supervising and getting their hands dirty with their teams.

BTW there was plenty of public service jobs gong during the boom. If you are civic minded and have pride in your work then why didnt you go for one then?

I'm in my mid thirties and grew up and live in Strandhill. You assume far too much.
    The carpark was extended in the late eighties/early nineties. I know this. I remember seeing it happen.
    The carpark was usually empty, as are the carparks at most seaside resorts. You still need the capacity for when the sun is shining. Same as Rosses Point, Salthill, Tramore, Kilkee etc.
    The toilets were left in disrepair. I'm not disputing that. I'm questioning why they weren't repaired or adequately replaced. I have not "attacked" the council for knocking a dangerous building. Sticking them in what is effectively a business premises is inadequate and no amount of signage will resolve that.
    The recession of the eighties? How did impact the public toilets at Rosses Point and Mullaghmore? A complete strawman.

Public sector jobs were not all advertised. Many were "filled internally" with people who were not internal. How do I know this? Because as you sneeringly suggested, I did try to gain a public sector job, was given the "internal" line, only to find out it was nothing of the sort a few weeks later. As my late father in law said, "talk to a county councillor". It's what he did. Worked too.
    I've worked for some inept management in my time, but if I'm paid to do a job, I do it. No excuse for skiving. It's not civic minded. It's honesty.
    No doubt you will dissect this point by point also. It seems to be your thing. Along with making assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Can't help ye lads with dates, I'm thinking 1992 when the toilets were knocked. I know the main car park was resurfaced in 2007 and they put in the dividers and lights. On the one hand it removed over 40 parking spaces but on the other clearly deliniated the parking spaces as it was a free for all before that.

Many a pish I had in the old jacks before it closed down and was knocked. The challenge of walking from the road across the stones (and glass) in your bare feet was part of it and you wouldn't want to be bursting as it was 1 meter a minute.

CouncilCarPark.jpg

Back to the mountain though, I think an email campaign to the CoCo to clean the car park and the OPW to put up proper do not climb the cairn signs would be in order. Brick wall, banging head job probably but still, better than nothing.

info@sligococo.ie
    info@opw.ie

Its a shame that the car parks aren't used more. Its crazy seeing folk park on the pavement right outside the pub and restaurant when there is a massive car park 20 seconds away. Too many times I've witnessed people pushing prams and people in wheelchairs having to go out on the road to get down the road.

I couldn't eat my cod and chips when I knew my 4x4 was causing an obstruction outside. Some people just don't give a xxxx.

And the double yellows are ignored entirely. Can't understand why the Gardai and Parking Wardens don't start slapping tickets on windscreens.

Again, that's people showing ignorance and even more so, utter laziness to walk that extra few metres from the car park to the restaurant :rolleyes:

I'm in my mid thirties and grew up and live in Strandhill. You assume far too much.
    The carpark was extended in the late eighties/early nineties. I know this. I remember seeing it happen.
    The carpark was usually empty, as are the carparks at most seaside resorts. You still need the capacity for when the sun is shining. Same as Rosses Point, Salthill, Tramore, Kilkee etc.
    The toilets were left in disrepair. I'm not disputing that. I'm questioning why they weren't repaired or adequately replaced. I have not "attacked" the council for knocking a dangerous building. Sticking them in what is effectively a business premises is inadequate and no amount of signage will resolve that.
    The recession of the eighties? How did impact the public toilets at Rosses Point and Mullaghmore? A complete strawman.

Public sector jobs were not all advertised. Many were "filled internally" with people who were not internal. How do I know this? Because as you sneeringly suggested, I did try to gain a public sector job, was given the "internal" line, only to find out it was nothing of the sort a few weeks later. As my late father in law said, "talk to a county councillor". It's what he did. Worked too.
    I've worked for some inept management in my time, but if I'm paid to do a job, I do it. No excuse for skiving. It's not civic minded. It's honesty.
    No doubt you will dissect this point by point also. It seems to be your thing. Along with making assumptions.

I think well have to agree to disagree here. All ill say is that the toilets in Strandhill were underused and dangerous situated in an unused overfill carpark. That probably wouldnt be the case for Rossess or Mullaghmore which im guessing were used, otherwise why remain open.

The tarmaced mountain carpark was used by the television and support crews to cover the inaugural uphill warriors run in ''85. Its been there long before that. A lot longer than 20 year

P.S Family home has been in the village since 1973.
    If you believe that the public service has deceived you, you should report this to the relevant authorities or the Gardai. As a public servant who has applied for and succeeded in getting a job there, i know that the application procedure is transparent. Your evidence does seem to be hearsay.......

That's me moving on.

Plazaman wrote: »
    Can't help ye lads with dates, I'm thinking 1992 when the toilets were knocked. I know the main car park was resurfaced in 2007 and they put in the dividers and lights. On the one hand it removed over 40 parking spaces but on the other clearly deliniated the parking spaces as it was a free for all before that.

Many a pish I had in the old jacks before it closed down and was knocked. The challenge of walking from the road across the stones (and glass) in your bare feet was part of it and you wouldn't want to be bursting as it was 1 meter a minute.

CouncilCarPark.jpg

Back to the mountain though, I think an email campaign to the CoCo to clean the car park and the OPW to put up proper do not climb the cairn signs would be in order. Brick wall, banging head job probably but still, better than nothing.

info@sligococo.ie
    info@opw.ie

Yep, thanks, will send a mail in there so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

The EPA has an app called 'see it say it' with it you take a picture of the dumping, it logs the GPS co ordinates, you give a description or comment and submit it. It goes to the EPA and they forward it to the relevant dept. or council. You should get a reply from the council within 30 days on what action has been taken. You can also use it for reporting air, water including dribking water and noise pollution.
    Because the issue has also been sent to the EPA they supposedly will then follow up with councils who do not take any action on the reports.
    Great app although I think I have sligo litter wardens head wrecked :)

Advertisement