Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climbing Knocknarea in Strandhill

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

@Sari. Good heads up there. We should be using the same reporting processes in a lot of areas (if they exist).

Shame there wasn't the same accountability process for the many many facets of service provision in Ireland over the last decades. But them's in power didn't want that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

T runner wrote: »
    I think well have to agree to disagree here. All ill say is that the toilets in Strandhill were underused and dangerous situated in an unused overfill carpark. That probably wouldnt be the case for Rossess or Mullaghmore which im guessing were used, otherwise why remain open.

The tarmaced mountain carpark was used by the television and support crews to cover the inaugural uphill warriors run in ''85. Its been there long before that. A lot longer than 20 year

P.S Family home has been in the village since 1973.
    If you believe that the public service has deceived you, you should report this to the relevant authorities or the Gardai. As a public servant who has applied for and succeeded in getting a job there, i know that the application procedure is transparent. Your evidence does seem to be hearsay.......

That's me moving on.

No it's not. It's you wanting the last word.
    The toilets were not used as they were filthy and had no toilet paper/soap/towels.
    I did not say there was no carpark at the mountain. I said it was extended. I remember them buying the extra ground, cutting it out and fencing it.
    I'm glad the public sector hiring policy worked for you (I had a feeling it did, seeing how you took umbrage), but I can assure you I have no reason to make up stories on an anonymous message board. What I described happened to me, so is not hearsay...... I would be well able to make a complaint, but seeing as I briefly worked with the man who got the job, and my better half worked with him for several years, it would've been very difficult.
    You think you know better? Fine. You think i'm a liar? I'm not inclined to care at this point. Don't presume to know the basis of every vacancy filled in the public sector if you are unaware or the cosy arrangements some have availed of.

And living here since 1973 is irrelevant. We're talking about things more recent. But good for you....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

il gatto wrote: »
    No it's not. It's you wanting the last word.
    The toilets were not used as they were filthy and had no toilet paper/soap/towels.
    I did not say there was no carpark at the mountain. I said it was extended. I remember them buying the extra ground, cutting it out and fencing it.
    I'm glad the public sector hiring policy worked for you (I had a feeling it did, seeing how you took umbrage), but I can assure you I have no reason to make up stories on an anonymous message board. What I described happened to me, so is not hearsay...... I would be well able to make a complaint, but seeing as I briefly worked with the man who got the job, and my better half worked with him for several years, it would've been very difficult.
    You think you know better? Fine. You think i'm a liar? I'm not inclined to care at this point. Don't presume to know the basis of every vacancy filled in the public sector if you are unaware or the cosy arrangements some have availed of.

So were in agreement the carpark wasnt built 20 years ago as you claimed. It was just retarmaced (and maybe extended). End of hopefully.

The toilets werent used because the carpark was deserted apart from possibly one weekend a year. Can you refute that? (are you really from Strandhill? why dont you remember this. Did you not play in that carpark?)
    The community was behind their closure. There is evidence of extreme incompetence by the council. No evidence in the case of those loos though.
    As i pointed out earlier, it weakens your argument to be sensationalist and to make accusations you cant really substantiate

What is the source of your insider knowledge re the post in the public service you feel cheated out of? No need for a name. Just describe why you think this person is credible? I'm not calling you a liar. Its just that your calling Sligo definitavely the very worst managed county in Ireland (is there a national register of incompetent CoCo's?) and accusing the public service of fraud re your job application smacks of more than a little exageration.

We all are allowed to argue our points here. You cant try and force your point of view through by substituting real argument for the the "are you calling me a liar?" non argument.
    And living here since 1973 is irrelevant. We're talking about things more recent. But good for you....

You did bring the conversation to that area yourself by claiming you lived there for 35 years!!!.....(good for you!)

Howver, in the context of remembering the 1985 warriors run where the media and support used the tarmac-ed mountain carpark...(its closer to 40 years there than 20) it is relevant. Do you remember that?

T runner wrote: »
    So were in agreement the carpark wasnt built 20 years ago as you claimed. It was just retarmaced (and maybe extended). End of hopefully.

The toilets werent used because the carpark was deserted apart from possibly one weekend a year. Can you refute that? (are you really from Strandhill? why dont you remember this. Did you not play in that carpark?)
    The community was behind their closure. There is evidence of extreme incompetence by the council. No evidence in the case of those loos though.
    As i pointed out earlier, it weakens your argument to be sensationalist and to make accusations you cant really substantiate

What is the source of your insider knowledge re the post in the public service you feel cheated out of? No need for a name. Just describe why you think this person is credible? I'm not calling you a liar. Its just that your calling Sligo definitavely the very worst managed county in Ireland (is there a national register of incompetent CoCo's?) and accusing the public service of fraud re your job application smacks of more than a little exageration.

We all are allowed to argue our points here. You cant try and force your point of view through by substituting real argument for the the "are you calling me a liar?" non argument.

You did bring the conversation to that area yourself by claiming you lived there for 35 years!!!.....(good for you!)

Howver, in the context of remembering the 1985 warriors run where the media and support used the tarmac-ed mountain carpark...(its closer to 40 years there than 20) it is relevant. Do you remember that?

I said there was a parking area. And that it was extended. That is all.
    The whole community was not behind knocking the toilets. I wasn't and several other people at the time questioned why they weren't just renovated and made serviceable.

I don't need a source regarding public sector hiring. It happened to me, directly. Short of naming names, dates and departments (which I won't do) how exactly would you like me to prove anything? I rang to ask for an application and was told the job had been filled. I said that the end date for applications was Friday week. I was told it had "been filled internally". I was fine with that, until I found out the guy who had it was never in the public service, hadn't applied for the job and was not on a panel. His wife however, was a public servant. He was up front that his wife got him the job as everyone knew he wasn't an internal appointment anyway.
    My own cousin got a job through similar means. Any process involving people, jobs and money is never transparent. Very naive to think otherwise.

Regarding my age, you made the assumption and commented I was too young to remember what we were discussing. That is the only reason I mentioned it. You then proceded to play Strandhill Top Trumps.

Talking of non arguments "are you really from Strandhill"? Because I didn't agree the toilets should be knocked in the early noughties? And citing the eighties recession as to why they might be knocked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Ah give over lads. Ye're childishness is killing a good thread :mad:

red sean wrote: »
    Ah give over lads. Ye're childishness is killing a good thread :mad:

We've both have had our say and can't agree (on anything, it seems :) ) I'm outta here.

We've both have had our say and can't agree (on anything, it seems :) ) I'm outta here.

Ah don't be disappearing on this one il gatto. :D You made a lot of good points and brought some interesting info to the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

sari wrote: »
    The EPA has an app called 'see it say it' with it you take a picture of the dumping, it logs the GPS co ordinates, you give a description or comment and submit it. It goes to the EPA and they forward it to the relevant dept. or council. You should get a reply from the council within 30 days on what action has been taken. You can also use it for reporting air, water including dribking water and noise pollution.
    Because the issue has also been sent to the EPA they supposedly will then follow up with councils who do not take any action on the reports.
    Great app although I think I have sligo litter wardens head wrecked :)
    That's a great idea and one I would use regularly but it doesn't appear to be available on android though unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

thebuzz wrote: »
    That's a great idea and one I would use regularly but it doesn't appear to be available on android though unfortunately.

Hmm I'll mention this to someone who may be able to mention it to the relevant people. It's pretty new so hopefully android is on the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

Has anyone heard the Discover Ireland ads for Sligo,that are currently running on the radio. They are encouraging visitors to bring a 'lucky stone' and leave it on Maeves mound.
    Its bad enough that visitors are eroding the great cairn, by scrambling up and down, as well as taking stones away with them for 'luck' - now people are being asked to deposit 'foriegn' material to a very important archaeological site - is this not a fom of vandalism that is being encouraged?

That is quite alarmingly irresponsible. Are the appropriate authorities aware of this?

(I gather the stones that make up the cairn were quarried from sites on the summit and sides Knocknarea itself?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

wayoutwest wrote: »
    Has anyone heard the Discover Ireland ads for Sligo,that are currently running on the radio. They are encouraging visitors to bring a 'lucky stone' and leave it on Maeves mound.
    Its bad enough that visitors are eroding the great cairn, by scrambling up and down, as well as taking stones away with them for 'luck' - now people are being asked to deposit 'foriegn' material to a very important archaeological site - is this not a fom of vandalism that is being encouraged?

That has been tradition for donkeys years that you carry a stone up the mountain with you and make a wish when you throw it on the cairn. Now it's meant to be a stone not a boulder so keep it small. Me auld granny, when she was above soil kickin', told me of this tradition so it wasn't invented by radio heads today or yesterday.

Having said that in all the years I've been doing it, my wish for two Swedish blond models (Helga and Olga) to turn up at my front door in their bikinis has not yet come true so I'm begining to suspect it could be a load of shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Plazaman wrote: »
    That has been tradition for donkeys years that you carry a stone up the mountain with you and make a wish when you throw it on the cairn. Now it's meant to be a stone not a boulder so keep it small. Me auld granny, when she was above soil kickin', told me of this tradition so it wasn't invented by radio heads today or yesterday.

Having said that in all the years I've been doing it, my wish for two Swedish blond models (Helga and Olga) to turn up at my front door in their bikinis has not yet come true so I'm begining to suspect it could be a load of shíte.

I too have heard of that tradition, although I do agree with wayoutwests comment re people climbing it and removing stones, prehaps people bringing stones might reverse that damage.

Was up there today, such a beautiful day, and makes you appreciate the wonders we have on our door step.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

The national Monuments Act 2004 states that 'it shall not be lawfull to disfigure, demolish, deface, ALTER, or in any manner injure or INTERFERE' [with a National Monument]
    It seems that Discover Ireland is encouraging visitors to break the law by asking folk to leave their lucky stones at the cairn - such an act it is both altering and interfering with the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

wayoutwest wrote: »
    The national Monuments Act 2004 states that 'it shall not be lawfull to disfigure, demolish, deface, ALTER, or in any manner injure or INTERFERE' [with a National Monument]
    It seems that Discover Ireland is encouraging visitors to break the law by asking folk to leave their lucky stones at the cairn - such an act it is both altering and interfering with the site.

I seen that sign infront of it today. But wouldn't leaving a stone, as per tradition be within keeping of a national monument?

TBH, I would much rather people left a stone, rather than take one or climb the thing.

Just a side issue on the removal or leaving of stones, I cant see to many doing this. Its tricky enough at times to get ones own body weight up and down the hill, without adding the weight of a stone to it.

One thing I would add though is, the second section of the path, from after the two turns (at the fridge frezzer), to the gate has become very over grown, wonder is this to be cut back, and is it the responsibility of the council or landowners.

Does not bother me to much, but hikers, or visitors with young kids may be put off. Bear in mind as well, traffic is going to build up on it, with the Warriors Run coming up. Might it be something the organising committee might be involoved in, as well as the path, but also in protecting the monument.

Advertisement