Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Attendance at Kings Inns Diploma Course

• 15-07-2013 10:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭

I was hoping some past students of the Kings Inns Diploma Course could advise on the following;

(a) Is attendance compulsory at the Kings Inns Diploma Course, I am aware they take a note of who attends the Tutorials but my understanding is unlike the Degree course no marks are directly lost for non- attendance.

(b) I will probably be in a position work wise to attend the entire first year classes but unable to attend anything in second year at all bar the weekends. (I would be able to attend the modular degree as well). Is this madness would I have any hope of passing second year by self learning from manuals and text books?

Thanks in advance for your time,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭lawfilly

I was hoping some past students of the Kings Inns Diploma Course could advise on the following;

(a) Is attendance compulsory at the Kings Inns Diploma Course, I am aware they take a note of who attends the Tutorials but my understanding is unlike the Degree course no marks are directly lost for non- attendance.

(b) I will probably be in a position work wise to attend the entire first year classes but unable to attend anything in second year at all bar the weekends. (I would be able to attend the modular degree as well). Is this madness would I have any hope of passing second year by self learning from manuals and text books?

Thanks in advance for your time,

Attendance isnt compulsory for lectures but let me warn you 2nd year is tougher than first! Subjects such as EU really need your attendance in lectures and tutorials!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

If you're unable to attend anything but weekends in the 2nd year you're asking for trouble I think. It would mean you would miss 2/3 of the tutorials - and if iirc they take attendance at tutorials very seriously, whatever about the lectures (no signing in at lectures).

Apart from any administrative/procedural implications, the tutorials are enormously helpful, and as Lawfilly says there's a considerable workload in year 2. It would be difficult to succeed on manuals alone - not that I'm saying it definitely can't be done!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭GeorgeOrwell

Lectures are held Monday-Wednesday. Tutorials are held on Thursdays and every other Saturday.

If you were not able to attend any lectures or half of the tutorials you'd be at a serious disadvantage. In my experience, most of the subjects will not make sense if you have not been at the lecture.

Most people who do the Diploma are working full-time and most of them will miss the occasional lecture because of work. I'm not sure you could realistically pass the second year by only attending one-half of the tutorials and no lectures at all.

Advertisement