Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest/Best butcher in Kilkenny.

Options
  • 15-07-2013 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Looking around for cheap butchers in Kilkenny city or a bit further afield.
    I know that superquinn is probably the best seller of Steaks in the city but they are quite expensive and are best used when they offer 33% steak sales. On the otherhand Dores butcher is quite cheap but their quality might not be as good.

Any other butchers around the city that people can reccommend for their steaks and chicken compared to price and quality?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

I use the one near supervalue, not sure of the name but wont find better in terms of quality and value for money....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Gerry O'Brien I think. Would recommend here also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

I find dores grand,

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

I buy most of my meat in Aldi. Excellent quality every time. The Specially selected steaks (about €10 for two) are well worth the money.
    Might try the new place, Grogan and Brown. Walked past it the other day - looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 caoimhghin72

Kenna's on Friary Street.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

1984baby wrote: »
    I buy most of my meat in Aldi. Excellent quality every time. The Specially selected steaks (about €10 for two) are well worth the money.
    Might try the new place, Grogan and Brown. Walked past it the other day - looks good.

Tried the new one and wasn't happy with the price for what I bought. It was good meat, but I won't be back given the prices.

I would second what you said about Aldi, the specially selected Rib Eyes are probably the nicest steak I've bought locally. Gerry O'Brien's is consistently good quality and also very good on price.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭twinkletoes

Kennas Friary st. my favourite by a long shot but Gerry O Briens very good too(they also have a butchers in market yard beside Dunnes)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Gerry O'Briens.

I recommend the stuffed turkey breast.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I use Pat Mullins on Friary St.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

Mullins on Friary street, meat is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Have you tried the new place in the smithlands (near Lidl), everything I have gotten so far has been excellent!
    Very reasonable prices too, I think they just won best steak in Kilkenny aswell

Will be trying a steak from the new place Grogan and Brown this weekend and I am sure it will be excellent. They are far cheaper than Aldi for Ribeye steak per kg. Their pork and cracked black pepper sausages are georgous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Beaker_KK

O'Brien's striploin steaks are to die for - great sausages as well.

Have tried the new Grogan & Brown's, also lovely - haven't done full comparison but I'd say similar prices to O'Brien's.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

+1 on Kenna on Friary st - good quality and I tihnk one of the only butchers slaughtering his own animals(might be wrong) if you can put up with paddy's ****e talk he's defo one of the best IMO anyway - 3 generation of my family going there so maybe its just habit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Glenalla wrote: »
    Will be trying a steak from the new place Grogan and Brown this weekend and I am sure it will be excellent. They are far cheaper than Aldi for Ribeye steak per kg. Their pork and cracked black pepper sausages are georgous.

where is this place?

Bowlardo wrote: »
    where is this place?
    On the way into Lidl on the Waterford Road roundabout beside Marios takeaway.
    Had a steak from there on Friday and was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

Phoenix wrote: »
    What about the butcher on Jacob street?anyone ever use them?

Eh no!

Grogan and brown is excellent. The €20 deal they is a couple of weeks ago sorted me for 5/6 dinners and we like our meat! I'm so fussy about mince and I wouldn't go anywhere else again.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 green jay

I find O'Brien's both Loughboy and Market Yard very good and very reasonable prices and you know you are getting local produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭mydogjack

Eh no!

Grogan and brown is excellent. The €20 deal they is a couple of weeks ago sorted me for 5/6 dinners and we like our meat! I'm so fussy about mince and I wouldn't go anywhere else again.

Hi,

What did you get for €20? Reckon I'll head over there this weekend for a look.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

mydogjack wrote: »
    Hi,

What did you get for €20? Reckon I'll head over there this weekend for a look.

Thanks.

Whole chicken, 5 pork chops, pound mince, pound beef stewing pieces, 5 chicken fillets. Think that was all.
    It's a midweek deal they have every few weeks, but I only go there now.
    Their service is just excellent too

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

Whole chicken, 5 pork chops, pound mince, pound beef stewing pieces, 5 chicken fillets. Think that was all.

was a a BBQ last weekend..the steaks and sausages came from there...best Ive had in ages..will be going here for a change..

Rantan wrote: »
    was a a BBQ last weekend..the steaks and sausages came from there...best Ive had in ages..will be going here for a change..

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭mydogjack

"Think that was all"...Bloody nice amount for a score. Will defo visit this week. Hopefully some deal like that again. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

Best Burger - O'Briens Loughboy
    Best Steak - Superquin RibEye/Aldi Rib Eye
    Best Lamb - Aldi Wicklow Lamb Rump Steak

Advertisement