Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting a Fridge For Fermentaion?

Options
  • 15-07-2013 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

I'm looking to move my homewbrewing out to a shed and I've an old fridge out there. I was looking at a few temperature controllers on ebay that you can rig up to your fridge to keep it at a set temperature.

I was wondering if anyone has done this, what gear you've used and how it worked out for you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

Have a look on ebay for a stc-1000 temperature controller, this is the one I bought http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Temperature-Controller-Thermostat-Aquarium-STC1000-Incubator-Cold-Chain-Temp-/200812763711?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160. You can put a heat belt around the fermenter, when it gets too cold the heat belt comes one, too hot fridge comes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

do you mind posting up detailed instructions on how you hooked it up to the fridge? I'm about to undertake a Keezer Build

willabur wrote: »
    do you mind posting up detailed instructions on how you hooked it up to the fridge? I'm about to undertake a Keezer Build

I just plug my fridge into the "cool" socket on my temp control box and it works fine. Some people say they need to bypass the fridge thermostat but mine works fine just using the fridge plug. The temperature controller just basically switches the live for heating and cooling circuits on or off as needed to keep desired temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

Thanks for the info Mayto, that's exactly what I was looking for.

I had it in my head that I'd be taking the fridge apart trying to wire it up to the thermostat.

I already have a brew belt so the stc-1000 sounds like a plan

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Mashtun

+1 for STC-1000.

• Advertisement

STC-1000 on the way from hong kong, hopefully it doesn't take forever to get here

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

I use an old chest freezer in my garage for fermentation, temp is controlled by a thermostat and old style light bulb, when the air temp reaches 24 degrees C the light goes out when it goes below the light comes back on.

Initially when I was using the freezer I was using tea lights to Keep the temp up but it was not the best tbh. This time of year the freezer is more or less constant at 23 C so not much to worry about but in the winter months it needs a little help.

Mayto, follow up question on the stc 1000 - could you post a pic of the wiring inside? Can't seem to get mine right - cheers

I attached a picture of the inside of my stc-1000 temp controller but do not copy wiring from picture, instead have a look at jims link http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=52976. Wiring must be confirmed ok with a multimeter for live, neutral and ground and someone competent with electrical work before plugging in. Not something to rush as using 230V here, wiring must be done correctly.

Thanks again Mayto,

I have mine wired up the exact same way but it just won't send power back out to the fridge or heater regardless of temperature change.

I've checked that there's power going in to the heating and cooling sockets on the STC with a phase tester but there's definitely nothing coming out to the plug sockets when the temperature changes.

I had an electrician give it the once over last night and he said everythings correct.

Are their any other settings I need to check on the STC or should it just work after I set my temperature?

• Advertisement

Just looking over instructions there. Did you press the power button for 3 seconds to turn controller "on" in case it is "off". What is your set temp and probe temp? It can take a few minutes for cooling circuit to come on as there is a default compressor delay to save fridge from going on and off quickly when near desired temp. Can you post or pm a pic of wiring just to be sure.

In work at the min, I'll try and get you a pic tonight.

Last night I had the STC temp set at 22 and the probe was reading 26. The STC indicated that it was on cool but nothing happend with regards to the fridge coming on.

It could be a case of me not waiting long enough for it to kick in

Hopefully the compressor delay was reason it was not coming on. Let us know how you get on with it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Made mine yesterday, have had the components for ages but didn't have the "special ingredient" to seal it all together. :pac:

r3p9.jpg

uepl.jpg

Mayto, it was the compressor delay - I dropped it down to one minute and sure enough 1 min later the fridge came on.

Thanks for all your help

Glad it worked out for you. Temp controllers are great along with a fridge especially when it gets warm here. You can make a true lager at some stage if you have the patience :D

Advertisement