Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Open Championship 2013 - *** no gambling/streams ***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Great to see a golfer and caddy maintain a friendship for as long as Phil and Bones have....1992.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,360 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Always loved Phil and truly delighted to see him get the win! He played amazing over the last 6 holes! :D

Well deserved and a great champion!

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

Anyone know what steve said to tiger after the round ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,360 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Anyone know what steve said to tiger after the round ?

"I'm going to beat Nicklaus record of major wins before you do.... neener neener neener!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Delighted for Mcikelson, a real gent and worthy winner....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

Great stuff from Poulter too, was screaming for him to keep the birdie run going.

Phil is on another level recently, to do that in the home stretch on that course, in those condition, was as good as it gets.

Anyone think Westwood is very contrary in interviews in general, just seems as if ewe're supposed to like him, when he's actually a bit of a mardy git.

When Hazel had him in the glass dome for an interview yesterday was like pulling teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Great stuff from Poulter too, was screaming for him to keep the birdie run going.

Phil is on another level recently, to do that in the home stretch on that course, in those condition, was as good as it gets.

Anyone think Westwood is very contrary in interviews in general, just seems as if ewe're supposed to like him, when he's actually a bit of a mardy git.

When Hazel had him in the glass dome for an interview yesterday was like pulling teeth.

He looks like Darren Clarke I think.
    IMO he will be lucky to win one major like Darren did in his twilight years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

The irony of dishing someone for struggling to win his 15th! major.
    I get how one might not like the man but seriously...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,898 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I dont think leading on final day suited Westwood.

He will have his best chance with a hot last round and in the clubhouse.

Boskowski wrote: »
    The irony of dishing someone for struggling to win his 15th! major.
    I get how one might not like the man but seriously...

That is a fair point. But, there is a genuine debate about , if Tiger will ever be the same, if he will get the record, his legacy as a player and a person.

He is the player of our generation and golf fans have strong views on both sides. Like the Roy Keane debate in a way.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭Jack Kyle

I've always thought that Westwood is utterly dislikable.

Delighted for Phil.

The "nice guy act" is rumoured to be just that though...an act.

Fair play to him though...he spotted a gap in the market (i.e. the anti-Woods charmer) and has marketed himself thus.

And he's exciting to watch.

I would love to see the old Tiger who in my view had more of a go at it.

I think Lee knows the media need the "never won the major" character . Some of the people that are asking him question about golf havent a clue. He has that sort of Ironic sense of humour , I think he is trying to be funny, but gets lost a bit in translation sometimes.

The camera in your face just after a major loss is a pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

That is a fair point. But, there is a genuine debate about , if Tiger will ever be the same, if he will get the record, his legacy as a player and a person.

He is the player of our generation and golf fans have strong views on both sides. Like the Roy Keane debate in a way.

I get that there may be a debate about him as a person. He treated his wife very, very poorly and he does seem to be a bit cold.

There is no question at all about his legacy, though. It's ludicrous to even entertain the idea. He is the greatest golfer that the majority of us have ever seen playing live.

I can't even believe that you'd write that. Did you lose a bet on him over the weekend? Did he ride your girlfriend/wife/mother? What more does he need to do to cement his legacy?

He is probably the greatest sportsman of the last twenty years, and you could argue that he is only rivalled by the likes of Muhammed Ali and Michael Jordan for the title of greatest of all-time.

"But, there is a genuine debate about... his legacy as a player"

Give me a break. Utter nonsense.

Please tell me I've read your post incorrectly.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Jack Kyle wrote: »
    I've always thought that Westwood is utterly dislikable.

Delighted for Phil.

Dunno if that's true, he brought his wifes onconologist to caddy for him at the Masters on the Wednesday tournament as a thank you.

He's given up a lot as well for his family due to his wifes illness.

Woods' legacy is already cemented.

He's arguably the greatest player in the history of the game.

Whether he ends up being the greatest statistically it remains to be seen.

To be honest, I believe that he'll win a few more. He's only 37 and look at guys like Mickelson who are in their forties. Even if he doesn't blow the field away a couple of times I'd be surprised if he doesn't reverse into one or two.

As I said earlier, odd that both Nicklaus and Woods had won 14 Majors after 63 Majors as pros.

Stheno wrote: »
    Dunno if that's true, he brought his wifes onconologist to caddy for him at the Masters on the Wednesday tournament as a thank you.

Yeah but was that a genuine act of niceness or a contrived PR stunt?

My understanding is that the reality is far from rosy but that because he's good to the journalists, they don't spill the beans on him.

Still my favourite player but I have heard some nasty stuff about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Fair play to him though...he spotted a gap in the market (i.e. the anti-Woods charmer) and has marketed himself thus.

Complete bollox. If you have evidence to the contrary please present it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭G1032

Still my favourite player but I have heard some nasty stuff about him.

Like what?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Stheno wrote: »

There does seem to be that rumour hanging over him and I've heard it from a few sources. I think fundamentally it doesn't matter he's doing he job and doing it bloody well.

Aidric wrote: »
    Complete bollox. If you have evidence to the contrary please present it.

Why is it "complete bollox"?

He's my favourite player so I've no agenda against him.

But I've been told by pros and by people who work in the industry that there's more to Phil than the "America's Sweetheart" persona that he projects.

• Advertisement

Put it this way...Tiger didn't play the game with the media so they were only delighted to destroy him.

Phil on the other hand plays the game better than almost anyone else so the media are happy to turn a blind eye to his multiple vices.

razorblunt wrote: »
    There does seem to be that rumour hanging over him and I've heard it from a few sources. I think fundamentally it doesn't matter he's doing he job and doing it bloody well.

Nobody seems to be providing any links to add any weight to these rumours..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭cack_handed

Unsubstantiated rumours, snide insinuations....the internet at its finest

Joe Posnanski dealt with this subject fairly well in an espn column before the US open, apart from a few misguided remarks about his tax affairs no one ever throws up a reasonable argument as to why Mickelson may not be all he's cracked up to be. Just rumours and snide insinuations..all a lot of hot air when it boils down to it

Why is it "complete bollox"?

He's my favourite player so I've no agenda against him.

But I've been told by pros and by people who work in the industry that there's more to Phil than the "America's Sweetheart" persona that he projects.

Well one of my best mates works for Callaway and has met Mickelson on several occasions and reckons he's as nice a bloke as you're ever likely to meet. All this rubbish about Phil bring a nasty guy is absolute horsesh!t

He's my favourite player so I've zero interest in slagging him off.

But I have heard on numerous occasions from numerous informed sources that he has more than one vice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I wish someone had a friend that could confirm this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Put it this way...Tiger didn't play the game with the media so they were only delighted to destroy him.

Phil on the other hand plays the game better than almost anyone else so the media are happy to turn a blind eye to his multiple vices.

What an extraordinary statement. The media has been doing Tigers bidding for the guts of twenty years. His ratings pull has made him priceless - the TV market grows by about 40% when he plays and contends. This has allowed him get away with almost anything - the PGA has rolled over numerous times also. The media didn't destroy him. He reaped his own harvest.
    Phil is a corporate animal and plays the part but he is a nice guy and a phenomenal talent. He was always more popular in corporate circles than Tiger and apart from the hats on backwards hollering set, more populate among US fans too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

But I have heard on numerous occasions from numerous informed sources that he has more than one vice.

Up there with the biggest piles of poo I've read on this site

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

ForeRight wrote: »
    Up there with the biggest piles of poo I've read on this site

Agree 100%, and thats quite an achievement...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

can you elaborate on your informed sources scoop as to what these particular vices are?

if its hookers, booze or gambling or all three he's instantly shooting up in my estimation

Advertisement