Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Open Championship 2013 - *** no gambling/streams ***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Jack Kyle wrote: »
    I've always thought that Westwood is utterly dislikable.

Delighted for Phil.

The "nice guy act" is rumoured to be just that though...an act.

Fair play to him though...he spotted a gap in the market (i.e. the anti-Woods charmer) and has marketed himself thus.

And he's exciting to watch.

I would love to see the old Tiger who in my view had more of a go at it.

Here we go again with the Phil bashing from unnamed sources etc..I take him at face value,over his lengthy career his professionalism is without equal.His on course behaviour is immaculate,there's no cheating,spitting,expletives,smashing clubs etc.His sportmanship has been remarked on previously,v Rose in the Ryder Cup.He always plays with a smile on his face,win or lose.Pretty tough with 6 US runners ups,heartbreaking I'd say.
    I think he deserves an Oscar if he can put on this so called Nice Guy Act 24 7 for his entire career and he has been around pre Tiger.The guy is great with fans ,spends hours on autograph signing,how many others do?Devotes lots of time to charity work,his wife had breast cancer and he supported her through her ordeal and appears to be extremely devoted to his family.Why do people always think the worst if somebody appears genuinely decent?
    His long term friendship with his caddy Bones over so many years speaks volumes for the man in my book.
    He has I believe successfully sued re some scurrilous rumours that were on the internet.
    Can't quite get my head around the fact that he's your favourite player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭G1032

He's my favourite player so I've zero interest in slagging him off.

But I have heard on numerous occasions from numerous informed sources that he has more than one vice.

But you are the one slagging him off. You're the one who just posted a few minutes ago that his nice guy image was just an act.

This is a pointless debate in any case. There is no evidence of him being a nasty guy.

You have mates that reckon he's a nasty piece of work. I have a friend who, like I said, has met him on several occasions and he's as sound a man as you'd hope to meet.

So if you've 'zero interest in slagging him off', then stop slagging him off............!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

"America's Sweetheart".

Ah here, lols. I don't think he's ever entered Miss USA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

razorblunt wrote: »
    I wish someone had a friend that could confirm this.

i've uncovered an even more reliable source than a mate:

yahoo answers
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090409052116AAjDdbE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭sxt

Unbelievable from Phil , to bounce back from the disapointment of the us open and win the the scottish open and british open

any links to the press conference floating about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

That is a fair point. But, there is a genuine debate about , if Tiger will ever be the same, if he will get the record, his legacy as a player and a person.

He is the player of our generation and golf fans have strong views on both sides. Like the Roy Keane debate in a way.

Tiger is flawed like every other human being.

I agree that he comes across as not the nicest person on the golf course compared to others. But given the unprecedented limelight, crazy foray, uninterrupted media frenzy from a very early age on he seems surprisingly normal. He's Michael Jordan, Muhammad Ali, O.J. Simpson, Michael Jackson all rolled into one in some way and mentally he could very easily be in Michael Jackson, Elvis Presley etc territory considering all that. I'd cut him some slack because of that.
    Most of all I don't admire him for being this great lovable character but for being the greatest golfer of my lifetime.

It's probable that he will never return to that 10 year spell of utter domination, but he's only human and to quote Tiger from Hank Haneys book 'Nothing's ever good enough with me' anyway.
    Also he is still the world number one and has already won 4 times this year and they were no Mickey Mouse tournaments either. His starts to win ratio is still outstanding by golfing standards.

I cant help but being a Tiger fan.

Having said that, fair dues to Mickelson who would be in Tigers place in terms of stature only for, well, Tiger. Great finish today and it shows his fantastic character as a player. He's not trying to guard himself to a win, he goes for it. Great win and well deserved.

Maybe Tiger could learn from that and ditch a little bit of that guarded approach to the game. Playing chess on a golf course will have you in contention on Sunday alright but someone's going to get hot and it won't stop that man.
    Its obviously not working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

Can someone just once back up these insinuations with some proof?
    The guy has just played two weeks of the best golf you'll ever see(even a 4 putt to make it interesting). Far more the human being (never mind the golfer) a few more tour pros will ever be imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

ForeRight wrote: »
    Up there with the biggest piles of poo I've read on this site

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Agree 100%, and thats quite an achievement...

i dunno this is a contender
    It's incredible really - I know 12 handicappers that are better drivers than Woods.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭Jack Kyle

It's common knowledge that Phil isn't liked (see the link posted by another poster just there).

It's also common knowledge (for example) that Phil's a very heavy gambler and was losing $10m a year in Las Vegas when that's what he was making in a year.

It's also freely discussed in golf circles that, despite the family man image, he hunts anything that moves.

None of these things stop him being my favourite player though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,293 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Before I loved golf, I loved Phil.
    (In a straight way ;) )

He has vices???
    I sure hope he has some vices!
    We all do, but to trot out that crap on a night like tonight is ludicrous.

• Advertisement

i dunno this is a contender

Are you just looking for confrontation?

Do you even play golf?

I'm a reasonable player (5 handicap) and I've friends playing off 12 that hit it 280 and hardly ever miss a fairway.

Tiger would pay a lot to hit it 280 yards up 12/14 fairways.

sxt wrote: »
    Unbelievable from Phil , to bounce back from the disapointment of the us open and win the the scottish open and british open

any links to the press conference floating about?

Following link on chrome(Youtube)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCTI84ZyuS0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,366 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Ah lads!

Please stop feeding the troll! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

yahoo answers

NO more rumors lads.

unless you have some first hand hard facts, I don't want to see it here.
    same rules apply for members in boards.ie as they do for celebrities and commentators alike.
    personal abuse will not be tolerated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

Is that 280 cms or inches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Do you even play golf?

I'm a reasonable player (5 handicap) and I've friends playing off 12 that hit it 280 and hardly ever miss a fairway.

You should post more often.

You make me smile :)

Fair play to Phil...he was incredible today.

3/4 - Only the US Open to go!

Do you even play golf?

im not looking for confrontation, but i am saying that you seem to be delusional from that much

you also seem to know very little about the game from what I have read throughout the day :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

yahoo answers

i suppose i better clarify that this was a joke, posting yahoo answers as a 'source'.

Not a rumour (see link below).

What about the time Phil slagged off Irish women?

http://www.irishcentral.com/story/sport/sean_oshea/when-phil-mickelson-insulted-irish-women-90582864.html?mob-ua=Y

Unlike some other contributors to this thread, I was at the '91 Walker Cup. Were you lads there (the ones who don't think that there are 12 handicapers that hit their drivers better than Tiger does)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,366 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

i love when people pull up that story about Phil slagging off the irish women. A comment taken out of context and from 20+ years ago when he was just a kid
    "I knew I was in for it the moment I said it," Mickelson said later. "It was a bad joke, and I feel just terrible about it.

As Sports Illustrated noted, "The Irish love a rascal. And somebody should have told Phil Mickelson that last Friday night in Dublin. He was prowling the public rooms of the Berkeley Court Hotel after last week's Walker Cup competition, offering red-faced apologies for his youthful indiscretions."

I think we can give Phil a mulligan. He has certainly gone on to bigger and better things since."

So one newspaper story from 22 years ago is your reliable source in the golfing industry ?

I think we can close the book on this one now :)

Phil was dead right about Irish women though so I wouldn't hold that against him at all

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

Peter Alyss really wrecked my head, I used to like him but he talks so much rubbish it's scary.
    You could tell Ken Brown thought so as well in the commentary !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

You may be playing of 5 but you're delusional if you think you can compare your 12 handicap friends who can find a fairway in their local club to what tour players do. Where your friends find the fairway 280 out Tiger would probably shoot in the 50ies more often than not. Not just Tiger btw any top tour player would.

Seriously, I'm a hacker myself so feel free to tell me I dont know what I'm talking about but really I feel embarrassed I'm even entertaining this.

i love when people pull up that story about Phil slagging off the irish women. A comment taken out of context and from 20+ years ago when he was just a kid

So one newspaper story from 22 years ago is your reliable source in the golfing industry ?

I think we can close the book on this one now :)

No it is not.

This discussion is over.

I'm obviously not talking to adults.

It's widely known that the PGA Tour has been rife with extra marital messing.

Difference is, Woods is obnoxious so he was taken down. The likes of Palmer and Mickelson are a PR man's dream so the media don't go after them.

Widen your reading from Boards.ie and the Irish Independent and read books by John Feinstein and books like "Bud, Sweat and Tees" (the Rich Beem book).

Anyways, as I said Congrats to Phil - I was delighted to see him win.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

Not a rumour (see link below).

What about the time Phil slagged off Irish women?

http://www.irishcentral.com/story/sport/sean_oshea/when-phil-mickelson-insulted-irish-women-90582864.html?mob-ua=Y

Unlike some other contributors to this thread, I was at the '91 Walker Cup. Were you lads there (the ones who don't think that there are 12 handicapers that hit their drivers better than Tiger does)?

It was actually an innocuous comment, but the fact that it was reported in print made it look worse.

He was asked about hitting into the crowd and said he didn't do it on purpose, that Irish women were not *that* attractive. Instead it came across as him saying that they were fairly ugly

Boskowski wrote: »
    You may be playing of 5 but you're delusional if you think you can compare your 12 handicap friends who can find a fairway in their local club to what tour players do. Where your friends find the fairway 280 out Tiger would probably shoot in the 50ies more often than not. Not just Tiger btw any top tour player would.

Seriously, I'm a hacker myself so feel free to tell me I dont know what I'm talking about but really I feel embarrassed I'm even entertaining this.

Have you seen how bad Woods is with the driver?

Did you ever follow Seve and see how bad he was with the driver?

There are plenty of club players who are better with the driver than either Woods or Seve.

By "better with the driver" I mean guys that can hit it straight and reasonably long 10, 11 or 12 times a round.

Woods and Seve (two of the greatest players ever) are missing their targets by 50, 60 and 70 yards.

I actually can't believe I'm entertaining this.

No it is not.

This discussion is over.

I'm obviously not talking to adults.

It's widely known that the PGA Tour has been rife with extra marital messing.

Difference is, Woods is obnoxious so he was taken down. The likes of Palmer and Mickelson are a PR man's dream so the media don't go after them.

Widen your reading from Boards.ie and the Irish Independent and read books by John Feinstein and books like "Bud, Sweat and Tees" (the Rich Beem book).

Anyways, as I said Congrats to Phil - I was delighted to see him win.

If you think the media wouldn't absolutely thrive on having any sort of story on squeaky clean Phil you are deluded. They would have a massive story and it would go viral. Truth is they have nothing.

The media should do a story about your 12 handicapper mate who is a better driver of the ball that the best golfer ever in the history of the game in many people's eyes.

That would be big news indeed!

I actually can't believe I'm entertaining this.

I actually can't believe how entertaining you are

• Advertisement

Can't wait for the US PGA guys!

Advertisement