Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Open Championship 2013 - *** no gambling/streams ***

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭Jack Kyle

ForeRight wrote: »
    If you think the media wouldn't absolutely thrive on having any sort of story on squeaky clean Phil you are deluded. They would have a massive story and it would go viral. Truth is they have nothing.

The media should do a story about your 12 handicapper mate who is a better driver of the ball that the best golfer ever in the history of the game in many people's eyes.

That would be big news indeed!

No it wouldn't actually.

There are better drivers of the ball than Tiger Woods and Seve Ballesteros in most clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Jack Kyle wrote: »
    No it wouldn't actually.

There are better drivers of the ball than Tiger Woods and Seve Ballesteros in most clubs.

Okie dokie so

Goodnight. Keep living the dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Yeah but was that a genuine act of niceness or a contrived PR stunt?

My understanding is that the reality is far from rosy but that because he's good to the journalists, they don't spill the beans on him.

Still my favourite player but I have heard some nasty stuff about him.

Would really love to know if the mickelson nice guy image is fake or not, but something always makes me suspicious about him.

Regardless, nice guy or not, on the whole it shouldn't matter. Has proved again what a hugely talented golfer he is. You feel he has to win a us open for his own sanity though. 6 runner up finishes is something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

I'm glad the crazies only come out for majors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Have you seen how bad Woods is with the driver?

Did you ever follow Seve and see how bad he was with the driver?

There are plenty of club players who are better with the driver than either Woods or Seve.

By "better with the driver" I mean guys that can hit it straight and reasonably long 10, 11 or 12 times a round.

Woods and Seve (two of the greatest players ever) are missing their targets by 50, 60 and 70 yards.

I actually can't believe I'm entertaining this.

Well the thing is. Is that perceived driving weakness as in perceived by you or is it real?

http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.129.html

Through July 14 (John Deere Classic)
    Accuracy is only meddling (78th) fair enough. But distance average is pretty decent (43rd, averaging 295 yards) and total driving (combined) is 19th. From a field of 190 that is.

Tigers 'terrible driving' is actually just a myth as it happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Have you seen how bad Woods is with the driver?

Did you ever follow Seve and see how bad he was with the driver?

There are plenty of club players who are better with the driver than either Woods or Seve.

By "better with the driver" I mean guys that can hit it straight and reasonably long 10, 11 or 12 times a round.

Woods and Seve (two of the greatest players ever) are missing their targets by 50, 60 and 70 yards.

I actually can't believe I'm entertaining this.

Ranked 43rd in driving distance and 78th in driving accuracy and you think there are some 12 handicappers that can drive the ball better than him?

Edit just seen the above post.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I can hit the ball 280 yards and hit any fairway on the course at any time.
    edit not the one I want.

Made up for Phil . Knew he would win a few more majors . Now equal Seve, hope he goes past Faldo (6). He deserves to.

But, you do have to buy into Phil. That American ideal, self confidence, media manners.

The hugging and kissing was a bit squeamish after the 20 th time.
    But still happy for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

Just after watching the highlights there, Scott really blew up again. Surprised as he has won since last year but 4 bogeys on the trot is pretty poor.
    Whta did Stevie say to TW on the 18th? Tiger's body language went straight on the defensive until Williams actually said anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭LinksLad

Can the mods do something like sending all of the comments made here, back to the ones who originally posted them?

Only do it 10 years down the line, when maturity may or may not have kicked in?

Love to see the look on your face then J. K. ....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Anyhow, back on topic, just in the door stateside and missed all the days action, astounded Phil won, had completely discounted him, thought Scott might do it because poor ole Westy was sure to crumble and Tiger just ain't Tiger of old. Well done Phil, nice trip returning with two victories!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Boskowski wrote: »
    Well the thing is. Is that perceived driving weakness as in perceived by you or is it real?

Accuracy is only meddling (78th) fair enough. But distance average is pretty decent (43rd, averaging 295 yards) and total driving (combined) is 19th. From a field of 190 that is.

So basically kyles 12 handicap mate would be in the top 20 on the PGA tour in driving

Eat your school, stay in drugs and don't do vegetables Kyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Ilik Urgee wrote: »
    Just after watching the highlights there, Scott really blew up again. Surprised as he has won since last year but 4 bogeys on the trot is pretty poor.
    Whta did Stevie say to TW on the 18th? Tiger's body language went straight on the defensive until Williams actually said anything.

Must have been something decent though and TW immediately cooled and was seen to say thanks and plenty of head nods. One less circus on the course so it can only be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

class by phil, took every shot on as always.
    unusually for westwood his long game was poor and short game pretty solid.
    stenson was unlucky i thought - around the turn he hit 3 or 4 putts that looked in all the way to burn the edges. he could be a decent lookout for the uspga

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Not a rumour (see link below).

What about the time Phil slagged off Irish women?

http://www.irishcentral.com/story/sport/sean_oshea/when-phil-mickelson-insulted-irish-women-90582864.html?mob-ua=Y

Unlike some other contributors to this thread, I was at the '91 Walker Cup. Were you lads there (the ones who don't think that there are 12 handicapers that hit their drivers better than Tiger does)?

I was there too, and no they don't!

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    I'm glad the crazies only come out for majors.

Post of the thread this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Do those numbers cover only the times he uses a driver, or do they just measure tee shots on par 4's and 5's, irrespective of the club used?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,354 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

First Up wrote: »
    Do those numbers cover only the times he uses a driver, or do they just measure tee shots on par 4's and 5's, irrespective of the club used?

Doing well to be averaging 295 with clubs other than his driver if that's the case

Doing well to be averaging 295 with clubs other than his driver if that's the case[/QUOTE

I may be out of date on it but the measure of distance used to be based on just a couple of selected holes. Accuracy however was based on number of fairways hit across all holes.
    Therefore his distance (292 actually) could be measured differently to accuracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I honestly don't know but given the average distance it should be driver maybe with an odd 3 wood thrown in?

I honestly don't know but given the average distance it should be driver maybe with an odd 3 wood thrown in?

Not if it's only measuring a couple of holes per round.

• Advertisement

Forbes estimate Phil will take home only 30% of his $2,167,500 winnings over the two weeks. Obviously still a nice payday but damn, that is a lot of tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Does he have to pay tax in a couple of countries or something? Like the country he wins in and the country he resides in? If so, no wonder the US guys stick to the US Tour almost exclusively.

Yep, just read the article. He'll be taxed 45% in the UK, 3.8% to US government for being self-employed (for potential medical expenses), 13.3% to Florida and 10% of winnings to Bones. Jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,368 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

They measure 2 holes per round, running in opposite directions and take the average of that.

13.3% to Florida

13.3% goes to his home state California. My understanding is that if he moved to tax-free Florida, he would not have to pay this. Explains why so many pros reside in Florida.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭abff

13.3% goes to his home state California. My understanding is that if he moved to tax-free Florida, he would not have to pay this. Explains why so many pros reside in Florida.

Phil ran into a lot of criticism earlier this year when he complained about the increase in state taxes in California and suggested that he might have to move out of the state because they were getting so high. Then he backed down when the comments caused a massive sh*tstorm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Sorry, meant California. The British really know how to get their pound of flesh. They even tax them on their promotional earnings during the time in the country. Must put a lot of athletes off competing there.

fullstop wrote: »
    They measure 2 holes per round, running in opposite directions and take the average of that.

And they just measure distance, no matter where it lands. So the "accuracy" (fairways hit) includes the holes where he hits something other than driver. Therefore it is misleading and inaccurate to asses his performance with the driver by using a combination of those two statistics. I've not seen a detailed analysis but casual observation tells me that he is pretty wild with that club.

Advertisement