Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Acer Liquid E2 Duo - Quad Core Dual Sim Phone ~ €200

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Barr wrote: »
    I always wonder about those unknown Chinese brands . Whether they have the spec as advertised and how reliable they are?
    There not unknown in Japan,China,India etc.they are very popular,well supported brands.

A few years ago Huawei were not heard of here but look at them now.Similarly Acer are not exactly known for there phones in Ireland

You can google plenty of reviews,they are not copycat phones at all.There original,genuine branded phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Plenty of happy customer in this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82601627

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Atrides

kendragon wrote: »
    Thanks for this. Had just ordered one from amazon.fr but would rather know for sure that it was coming sooner rather than later. Cancelled the amazon one and ordered from expansys. Worth the extra 14quid for piece of mind.

did you received confirmation email from them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

Atrides wrote: »
    did you received confirmation email from them?

From Expansys? Yeah, and a tracking code. Its being processed at the moment according to the site.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

From Expansys? Yeah, and a tracking code. Its being processed at the moment according to the site.

processing too, ordered 3, and they tred flogging the weird liquid glass crap to me over phone- no dice

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Good bargain but that is seriously one of the ugliest phones I have ever saw :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

shipped

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭oceancat

i'm thinking about buying this phone but i know sweet fa about smart phones, it looks like i will be working most weekends for the foreseeable so looking for a phone so that i will be able to stream football matches on,

Would this phone be quick enough for doing this or would i be better off getting a second hand iphone from ebay for around the same money?

Don't really want to be spending anymore than 200 odd for a phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

oceancat wrote: »
    i'm thinking about buying this phone but i know sweet fa about smart phones, it looks like i will be working most weekends for the foreseeable so looking for a phone so that i will be able to stream football matches on,

Would this phone be quick enough for doing this or would i be better off getting a second hand iphone from ebay for around the same money?

Don't really want to be spending anymore than 200 odd for a phone.

you'll be grand with this. it's better than iphone 4s imho:
    http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=4212&idPhone2=5418

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Ordered from Amazon a few days ago. They are getting stock in on 10th August according to the email they sent me this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

just ordered one, looks like a decent phone at a good price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Looking forward to hearing some reviews when the phones are received :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

The acer doesnt have gorilla glass? is this anything to be bothered about ?

is it micro sim or ordinary sim that goes into this phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Round Cable

gustafo wrote: »
    is it micro sim or ordinary sim that goes into this phone?

Ordinary SIM.

• Advertisement

Barr wrote: »
    Looking forward to hearing some reviews when the phones are received :)

few online, all seem good from what i looked up. seems a patch for the lack of ability to use the sd as app memory has just been issued by acer too, which was my biggest gripe, unless i went down the rooting route, given theres a decent 2 yr warranty with the phone. stick a 32gb card in and its pretty awesome by all accounts, screen res not amazing but processor is top notch and vanillaish jellybean out the box is nice. Lack of case options is a bit cack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheAmateur

Lack of case options is a bit cack

I bought a case for the Liquid E1, seeing as they're the same shape, but now I notice Expansys are listing one for the E2 (might be the exact same case!). My case is ok except for the fact that it covers the microUSB port so to charge the phone it has to be removed :(.

I'm actually having a problem with my Liquid E2 at the moment, I think I might have to get it replaced. Last Sunday I found the screen wouldn't wake up when I pressed the power button, in fact the phone had shut itself off. I removed the battery, put it back in (checked the charge level, it was 60% so the problem wasn't a flat battery!) and the phone booted up fine.

Unfortunately it has done this several times since. Just this morning I seem to have caught it while it was on the verge of doing it again. The screen had taken a few seconds to turn on, then the phone was sluggish, couldn't connect to WiFi, a lot of lag etc. I checked running processes but couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. Turned the phone off (myself this time) but then it wouldn't reboot. So I took the battery out and put it back in, and voilà, working again.

Could it be a faulty battery? I think based on the symptoms, my safest option is to get it replaced asap. How are Expansys with things like this?

TheAmateur wrote: »
    I bought a case for the Liquid E1, seeing as they're the same shape, but now I notice Expansys are listing one for the E2 (might be the exact same case!). My case is ok except for the fact that it covers the microUSB port so to charge the phone it has to be removed :(.

i may bit the bullet on that one, few more deisn options on the pdair on other sites, was looking for a gel case tbh.

stupidest service in expansys.

two times I was asked for the proof of address and received call from them and my order still not shipped.

never again

arrived and working wonderfully. let's see if it lasts oxegen

• Advertisement

My one is not shipped yet(((((( -bunch of idiots

arrived and working wonderfully. let's see if it lasts oxegen

If you don't mind me asking, when did you order yours? Mine is still saying processing on Expansys.ie's tracking page and the phone itself is counting down 15 days. I'm assuming thats when they are getting stock in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Shipped from Amazon.fr earlier today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I see qvc UK today have a 5inch dual SIM archos on offer for similar price as this Acer UK £179 with three payments :
    http://www.qvcuk.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?partNumber=504157&storeId=10252&langId=-2&catalogId=10152&UDC=TSV&MSG=TSV_OTO_INSTOCK&ddkey=http:TSVItemDisplay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

didn't know archos made phones, screen size looks good
    not sure I'd go with them though, hardwares usually good, never found there support of products great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

you should start its own thread. gets kinda meh reviews

can't fault it so far. except language was in Chinese on first boot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

can't fault it so far. except language was in Chinese on first boot

how u getting on with it and what was ur last phone? ie what are you comparing it to?

brightkane wrote: »
    how u getting on with it and what was ur last phone? ie what are you comparing it to?

compared to a duel core experia U, its been faultless so far, no reboots, smooth apps, fb used to struggle on the xperia butflying now, no lag, no need to clear memory, battery is lasting very long, but time will tell on it. Not a single issue so far...except finding a case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

compared to a duel core experia U, its been faultless so far, no reboots, smooth apps, fb used to struggle on the xperia butflying now, no lag, no need to clear memory, battery is lasting very long, but time will tell on it. Not a single issue so far...except finding a case

mmm so tempted by this phone , ticks so many boxes

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Pizzle

Took the plunge and bought one from amazon.fr!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭coroner29

FYI

Acer unveils Liquid Z3 - midrange droid with dual-SIM option

Seems like a lighter version of E2 for half the price. Not sure if it is worth though.

Received today from expansys - brilliant phone.

AnTuTu benchmark rating - 13696 - approximately same as the nexus 7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

coroner29 wrote: »
    FYI

Seems like a lighter version of E2 for half the price. Not sure if it is worth though.

with smaller screen

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

FYI

Similar speced phones can be gotten from china for about €60

However if the price drops, like it often seems to do quickly on Acer phones, to lets say €75, it would be worth it for people looking for the cheapest phone possible or for a backup/travel phone.

I am torn between this and the nexus 4
    Hmmmm

brightkane wrote: »
    I am torn between this and the nexus 4
    Hmmmm

is there a dual sim nexus 4?

is there a dual sim nexus 4?

not buying for dual sim capabilities, but nexus 4 doesn't have expandable memory so brings me back here again!

• Advertisement

mine arrived today got to say i'm delighted with this phone, tis my 1st smartphone so don't know myself.

Atrides wrote: »

That's handy and cheap to must order 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭coroner29

Can somebody who has the phone comment on GPS?

Some reviews on Amazon mention that it is slow and imprecise (especially at low speeds like running). I need to be able to navigate with that in a town so it's pretty important to me. Thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Can somebody who has the phone comment on GPS?

Some reviews on Amazon mention that it is slow and imprecise (especially at low speeds like running). I need to be able to navigate with that in a town so it's pretty important to me. Thanks.

Its quit usable even on the older model (I tested it in the Phoenix Park- because I wanted open spaces- and got incredibly accurate readings). Problem using it around town- any buildings at all- will reduce the number of visible satellites- often to zero (albeit temporarily). This is not unique to this phone though.

If refresh is running slow- use the revised ROM- and keep number of Apps running to a minimum (keep in mind closing them off leaves them running in the background- unlike on iOS). Its a good idea to turn off the phone altogether- and restart it- before a trip- if you're planning on using GPS (just to clearout the junk thats running in the background).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Pizzle

Phone arrived this morning and couldn't be happier with it.
    Very snappy compared to the HTC One V I had previously. Ordered from Amazon.fr.

Pizzle wrote: »
    Phone arrived this morning and couldn't be happier with it.
    Very snappy compared to the HTC One V I had previously. Ordered from Amazon.fr.

How are you finding the battery life? thought it would be better to be honest...great phone except for that

Phone arrived yesterday from Amazon.fr. Wife is delighted as its a lovely phone and she doesn't have to carry two anymore. Nice and responsive. Not too impressed with the stripped down Android OS though. Missing some key features and google apps. Can't get it do some basic functions such as assign a ringtone to a number etc. It's probably in there somewhere, but the OS isn't as intuitive as any of the other android phones I've used which just seems silly nowadays. Still happy with the purchase.

Cheers OP.

Phone arrived yesterday from Amazon.fr. Wife is delighted as its a lovely phone and she doesn't have to carry two anymore. Nice and responsive. Not too impressed with the stripped down Android OS though. Missing some key features and google apps. Can't get it do some basic functions such as assign a ringtone to a number etc. It's probably in there somewhere, but the OS isn't as intuitive as any of the other android phones I've used which just seems silly nowadays. Still happy with the purchase.

Cheers OP.

striped down android?? its almost vanilla android? and all google apps are there? what exactly is missing for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭fedorafennec

...such as assign a ringtone to a number etc. ...

Contacts app -> contact-in-question -> menu button -> "Set Ringtone".

Basic android has caught up with a lot of the vendor specific features and I've found devices with less are also likely to perform a bit better.

Typing this on an E2. Performing quite well so far. Often feels faster than my 1st gen nexus 7. Camera focus can be dodgy at times. Battery is OK, using two sims ran it down a bit faster, though it feels like it's lasting a bit longer not that I've done a few charges. Not sure if the sim management stuff is not part of stock android or an Acer addition but it seems quite decent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement