Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notification Emails Updated

Options
  • 15-07-2013 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Today we are going to make some changes to the look of notification emails, they will now be enclosed in a HTML wrapper as well as shortened URL's making the information in the emails a lot easier to read. This is essentially the same as the account activation email which is sent after you register.

Below is an example of what they will look like:

262601.png

These should be going live just after lunchtime today, as usual feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Nicola
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Will there be any option for plaintext mails?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Nicola

Spear wrote: »
    Will there be any option for plaintext mails?

I don't think so, I'll double check though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Too much padding. Too much white-space. Why I can't use the old look mail?

I'm never using email again.

/ waves fist

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Dades wrote: »
    Too much padding. Too much white-space. Why I can't use the old look mail?

I'm never using email again.

/ waves fist

Or slightly more realisically, HTML mails are bloated and carry risks such as the use of webbugs, something that we've seen before being used by spammers on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Was this delayed? Still receiving the old style. Waiting to see whether it will have the same bug in Gmail as the last update: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81878282
    Or slightly more realisically, HTML mails are bloated and carry risks such as the use of webbugs, something that we've seen before being used by spammers on here.
    Simple enough to prevent, just transmit plaintext in the quoted post section.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

Yup we did have to delay rolling it out, I'm just going to catch up with the lads and will have an update then :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Oh, dear god, no.

Please include a plain text option :)

Won't someone please think of the children old people!!!111!

Hi guys,

After a slight delay we will be updating the notification emails around lunchtime today. As always, feedback is much appreciated.

As always, feedback is much appreciated.
    Famous last words. ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

The reported post email notification does not take you to the reported post discussion page.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Boards.ie: Alvis

The reported post email notification does not take you to the reported post discussion page.

Hi there, thanks for letting us know. We'll look into this now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Ah-ha, my plan to follow this thread and get the earliest possible notification on the new system worked!

*ahem* New emails for followed threads look fine.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Nice one! It's about time we got up to speed and started using HTML emails. Seriously anyone that still wants plain texts should put down internet explorer and leave the internet :p

Only feedback I have is there should be a few dashes or a line underneath the quoted text separating the "You won't get any more...."

Good work though!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Very small text to read on iPhone, thought I might need to break out my glasses!

No real complaints here, possibly a bug though.

I've noticed that if there's a quotation mark in the thread title, it shows up as " in the subject line and header.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Karsini wrote: »
    No real complaints here, possibly a bug though.

I've noticed that if there's a quotation mark in the thread title, it shows up as " in the subject line and header.
    Same for & - &

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I like it. Please resend all previous emails in this format.

Kthxbai! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I can see that the general consensus is positive but at my end the print is a lot smaller than any other email, and with my sight getting more compromised in my maturity this is not a good move for me.
    The issue is simply the text size.

This on a mac using mail

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭alyssum

are there web bugs or some thing of that sort in them?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Smash The House

Please give an option for plain text email. 80% of my emails are read on mobile devices as do many others. The new notification email is a pain to read

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Please give an option for plain text email. 80% of my emails are read on mobile devices as do many others. The new notification email is a pain to read

This isn't possible I'm afraid. What are the specific issues with the HTML mails?

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Smash The House

This isn't possible I'm afraid. What are the specific issues with the HTML mails?

Danny

On my tablet they read fine as it automatically adjusts to the screen, quite nice actually.

It's my phone that's a pain though as I have to zoom in and scroll left and right to read. I have a Windows Phone though so that may be the problem.

Has anyone reported a similar problem on android? I think someone did for ios above

Danny

Aside from the issues already mentioned, they now also make phishing for boards.ie account details much easier.

Aside from the issues already mentioned, they now also make phishing for boards.ie account details much easier.

The character escaping issues are being resolved.

The risk of phishing Boards accounts won't hold back progress. There are many, many sites, bigger and smaller, processing payments and personal details beyond that which Boards.ie does who use HTML mails.

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What are the specific issues with the HTML mails?

Danny

I'm pretty seriously p*** about this.

Why: Welll I'm a moderator.

At work, I need to read my emails thru my email provider's web service, which means reported-post notifications look like the following.

Can you figure out what I shoudl do???

NB I reported one of my own posts to get a realistic-looking example for ya ... but when I post it here, all the extra line breaks are stripped out. In my email browser, all the text is spread out over several pages.

Reported Post from boards.ie / Work & Jobs /* Client-specific styles */ #outlook a { padding: 0; } /* Force Outlook to provide a "view in browser" button. */ body { width: 100% !important; } .ReadMsgBody { width: 100%; } .ExternalClass {width: 100%; } /* Force Hotmail to display emails at full width */ body { -webkit-text-size-adjust: none; -ms-text-size-adjust: none; } /* PreventWebkit and Windows Mobile platforms from changing default font sizes. */ /* Fix header styling in hotmail */ h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 { color: black !important; line-height: 100% !important; } h1 a, h2 a, h3 a, h4 a, h5 a, h6 a { color: blue !important; } h1 a:active, h2 a:active, h3 a:active, h4 a:active, h5 a:active, h6 a:active {color: red !important; } h1 a:visited, h2 a:visited, h3 a:visited, h4 a:visited, h5 a:visited, h6 a:visited{ color: purple !important; } /* Reset Styles */ body { margin: 0; padding: 0; } img { height: auto; line-height: 100%; outline: none; text-decoration: none; } a img { border: none; }; /* Fix 1px padding on table cells in Outlook 07/10 */ table td { border-collapse: collapse; } /* Render yahoo short cuts as invisible */ .yshortcuts, .yshortcuts a, .yshortcuts a:link,.yshortcuts a:visited, .yshortcutsa:hover, .yshortcuts a span { color: black; text-decoration: none !important; border-bottom: none !important;background: none !important; } Mrs OBumble has reported this post.This is part of this thread (Job Bridge - From Employers point of view).This is the reason that the user gave:No problem with the post: am ust reporting it so I have a real example to use togive some feedback about how crap the new notification emails are when I see them atwork!A discussion thread has been created here.This message has been sent to all moderators of this forum, or all administrators ifthere are no moderators.Please respond to this post as applicable. © Boards.ie Ltd. 2013

Sigh. I'm a moderator.

At work, I need to read my emails thru my email provider's web service, which means reported-post notifications look like the following.

Can you figure out what I shoudl do???

(I'm pretty seriously p*** about this, btw).

NB I reported one of my own posts to get a realistic-looking example for ya ...

Reported Post from boards.ie / Work & Jobs /* Client-specific styles */ #outlook a { padding: 0; } /* Force Outlook to provide a "view in browser" button. */ body { width: 100% !important; } .ReadMsgBody { width: 100%; } .ExternalClass {width: 100%; } /* Force Hotmail to display emails at full width */ body { -webkit-text-size-adjust: none; -ms-text-size-adjust: none; } /* PreventWebkit and Windows Mobile platforms from changing default font sizes. */ /* Fix header styling in hotmail */ h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 { color: black !important; line-height: 100% !important; } h1 a, h2 a, h3 a, h4 a, h5 a, h6 a { color: blue !important; } h1 a:active, h2 a:active, h3 a:active, h4 a:active, h5 a:active, h6 a:active {color: red !important; } h1 a:visited, h2 a:visited, h3 a:visited, h4 a:visited, h5 a:visited, h6 a:visited{ color: purple !important; } /* Reset Styles */ body { margin: 0; padding: 0; } img { height: auto; line-height: 100%; outline: none; text-decoration: none; } a img { border: none; }; /* Fix 1px padding on table cells in Outlook 07/10 */ table td { border-collapse: collapse; } /* Render yahoo short cuts as invisible */ .yshortcuts, .yshortcuts a, .yshortcuts a:link,.yshortcuts a:visited, .yshortcutsa:hover, .yshortcuts a span { color: black; text-decoration: none !important; border-bottom: none !important;background: none !important; } Mrs OBumble has reported this post.This is part of this thread (Job Bridge - From Employers point of view).This is the reason that the user gave:No problem with the post: am ust reporting it so I have a real example to use togive some feedback about how crap the new notification emails are when I see them atwork!A discussion thread has been created here.This message has been sent to all moderators of this forum, or all administrators ifthere are no moderators.Please respond to this post as applicable. © Boards.ie Ltd. 2013

Hi,

It seems like your email provider's web client doesn't support HTML or you've not enabled it; it's just spitting out a sanitised form of the page as a fallback. I'd suggest you contact their support service to enquire as to why it's not working.

Danny

It's my phone that's a pain though as I have to zoom in and scroll left and right to read. I have a Windows Phone though so that may be the problem.

Has anyone reported a similar problem on android? I think someone did for ios above
    Just compared an older reported post with the new style on an iPhone and it's a definite improvement.
    It was fine to read before, but now it's just that bit clearer.

As for developing, I hate the idea that we should be producing stuff that has to cater for the lowest technological denominator. I'm a developer too, and people would still be using IE6 if every site still pandered to their needs. You have to push people to improve their own UX or we'll all be stuck in the past forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Do I read it all correctly: "Use html email client. Forget about other options"?

Could you briefly explain why you can't use MIME multipart/alternative?

PrzemoF wrote: »
    Do I read it all correctly: "Use html email client. Forget about other options"?

Could you briefly explain why you can't use MIME multipart/alternative?

Because the email system will need to be significantly modified, along with the phrases systems. The plan is that these will be rolled into an overhaul of how Boards.ie handles mail at a future point.

Danny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

My emails arent showing proper links just ordinary writing ( I know, Im great at explaining myself :o)
    For example, a reply from CVPL, I used to be able to click the link in the email, now I cant.

Advertisement