Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Alarm - Landline Gone

Options
  • 15-07-2013 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking for a bit of advice here. I have a standard house alarm which was wired to a landline. If it went off, text messages were sent to nominated mobile phones.

I recently installed a satellite broadband and VOIP system, forgetting about the implications for the alarm, which cannot be supported by the new system. Without the landline, I cannot receive the texts

Can any advise on a solution?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

oldyouth wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking for a bit of advice here. I have a standard house alarm which was wired to a landline. If it went off, text messages were sent to nominated mobile phones.

I recently installed a satellite broadband and VOIP system, forgetting about the implications for the alarm, which cannot be supported by the new system. Without the landline, I cannot receive the texts

Many thanks

You could install a GSM or a voice dialer if you can use an analog line with your service provider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

altor wrote: »
    You could install a GSM or a voice dialer if you can use an analog line with your service provider.
    I don't have a monitoring service if that's what you mean. It was a one-off installation with a registered company. Is the GSM equipment expensive?

Thanks for the reply

I don't have a monitoring service if that's what you mean. It was a one-off installation with a registered company. Is the GSM equipment expensive?

Thanks for the reply

No, your service provider of the satellite broadband and VOIP system.
    What system have you installed, have you the engineer code?

Please forgive my lack of knowledge about these things.

Rocket Broadband supply my satellite and VOIP system. I rang them earlier today and they say they cannot support alarms.

My alarm system is a HKC. It mainly uses PIRs with contacts on exit doors. I tried ringing the installer today but he is away. He did offer the engineer code previously for another matter but I don't have it now.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Rocket Broadband supply my satellite and VOIP system. I rang them earlier today and they say they cannot support alarms.

Most providers say they cannot support alarms or alarms will not work with their service.
    In reality most of them don't know. If you can plug a standard phone into their line & make a call then an alarm can usually do the same.
    text is a different matter.

• Advertisement

My alarm system is a HKC. It mainly uses PIRs with contacts on exit doors. I tried ringing the installer today but he is away. He did offer the engineer code previously for another matter but I don't have it now.

If you can use a standard phone with your system you could use one of these voice dialers for self monitoring the alarm.

If not you would be looking at adding the GSM-P to this system. You will also have remote acces by way of text using the GSM-P.

Cheers, I'm just glad there is a solution. I'll look in to those options now

Thanks again

Cheers, I'm just glad there is a solution. I'll look in to those options now

Thanks again

Your welcome, any problems you know where we are :)

Update; Got hold of my installer who says that a GSM is the only option and would cost approx €220. He says the PSTN is not an option without a phone line.

Any comments on this?

Cheers

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Will a standard phone work with your provider?
    If so , then an alarm dialler will work.
    Sounds like he may be just wanting to sell you a GSM?

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »
    Will a standard phone work with your provider?
    If so , then an alarm dialler will work.
    Sounds like he may be just wanting to sell you a GSM?

Yeah, standard phone working OK. In fairness, we only spoke briefly as he is away on hols for a week. He'll be back next week for a proper chat.

At least I know about more about it when I talk to him thanks to you guys

Yeah, standard phone working OK. In fairness, we only spoke briefly as he is away on hols for a week. He'll be back next week for a proper chat.

At least I know about more about it when I talk to him thanks to you guys

If the standard phone works then the voice dialer will work.
    Did he say which GSM he is installing for €220?

He was just returning the voice message I'd left. The conversation was brief as he is on hols and we agreed to talk next week. Maybe he thought I just had a broadband package without the VOIP phone.

He's a decent enough bloke

He was just returning the voice message I'd left. The conversation was brief as he is on hols and we agreed to talk next week. Maybe he thought I just had a broadband package without the VOIP phone.

He's a decent enough bloke

The voice dialer would be the cheaper option.
    Just be interested to know what GSM he was planing to use when he does get back ;)

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

The voice dialer would be the cheaper option.
    Just be interested to know what GSM he was planing to use when he does get back ;)

If he quoted €220 for the gsm dialler, I wondering if he's referring to the gsm q dialler, out of curiosity, how old is the alarm which you have installed?

Aquos76 wrote: »
    If he quoted €220 for the gsm dialler, I wondering if he's referring to the gsm q dialler, out of curiosity, how old is the alarm which you have installed?

That is what I was thinking myself but that is for a Securewave system. If its an 8/12 then he would need a GSM-P. That alone costs €320 to buy. If fitting a GSM to either system I would recommend the HKC GSM. It will provide more info re alarm activation's plus remote access to the panel. There is also home automation with the HKC GSM.

Aquos76 wrote: »

Alarm is approx 2 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 5 FitzS

Just searching for help with very similar problem - sorry if this is not the correct way to do this - still very new to using Boards.ie

Elderly parents had standard eircom line - one of my brothers had an alarm installed a few years back and was set up on it to dial out to our landlines when it was set off (which they have done quite alot - buts thats another story -it was for the security and peace of mind)
    I got an new UPC tv / phone package sorted for them during the week - and now alarm isn't set through new phone to dial out like old system. Being total non tech person, would the PTSN autodialler mentioned earlier work in this case as they really want the security of knowing that all a call goes out if the alarm is set off.
    Much appreciate any advise....

Hi,

Many thanks

It will work fine with UPC for voice alerts but not for texts.
    See the link in my sig.

Alarm is approx 2 years old

Hopefully a 10/70 then.
    White control panel.

• Advertisement

Hopefully a 10/70 then.
    White control panel.

Yep

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Yep

In that case it's more than likely the 1070 panel and the GSM-q dialler is what you'll require, this is the cheapest of all the gsm dialler available, I reckon the price you got of €220 isn't to bad considering the gsm-q dialler ranges from €165 to €190 depending on where you purchase it.

The gsm-q dialler will allow both voice and text alerts and also has the abilility to allow for remote set and unset via text message.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

KoolKid wrote: »
    Most providers say they cannot support alarms or alarms will not work with their service.
    In reality most of them don't know. If you can plug a standard phone into their line & make a call then an alarm can usually do the same.
    text is a different matter.

True. With regard to modems being used with VoIP (for monitoring etc-not relevent here), the general rule of thumb is that it works but should be tested before hand. G729/low bandwidth codecs (eg Imagine Wimax) etc. Will not work very well. Satillite has high latency and is likely to use a low bandwidth codec to the OPs provider, so probably won't work modems etc.

If you use a voice dialler there won't be an issue at all as KK said. Its just like a regular landline.

Its not possible to send text messages from an alarm using an Irish voip provider at the moment. Not sure about UPC but imagine wimax, blueface etc definately won't do SMS using phone service.

Hope this clears things up :D

Thanks.
    Monitoring works with most and I've never had any issues with quality.
    As always check everything. With central station monitoring I would also set up 24 hour test calls so we know if anything is wrong.
    The main down side here is all of these are vulnerable to power cuts.

Advertisement