Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Diploma in Computing

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I'm enjoying it.

Going into my 3rd and final semester now.

Lecturers are good and material has been good.

Overall a thumbs up.

Have to echo CruelCoin

Following thread from beginning, my experience of the PT course has been far more positive than negative.

I reckon we're getting a good background into the relevant concepts and, heading into the final semester of three, I'm looking forward to tying most of what we've covered so far into more useful/up-to-date practicalities- looking at the modules for this semester I'm confident that this will be the case.

Our class has had grouses, some major, against individual lecturers and it's fair to say that these weren't handled in a very effective or timely fashion, but we had a good case and as far as I'm aware had an adjustment reflecting our complaints included in our final grade for the module.

That was one lecturer from five so far- the others have ranged from very good to excellent, in my experience- I should note that we're pretty vocal with them if we're having problems and as long as you are up front and early with any difficulties you're having I've found them very adaptable in terms of switching assignment dates and re-covering topics if the group feels it's needed.

Facilities are ok- lab computers are definitely up-to-speed but the labs/rooms themselves can range from 'fragrant' to freezing in the case of the prefabs.

Lecturers can be late back with assessment marks, and their moodle updates can be infrequent or entirely absent at times, but I haven't found it a serious impediment to covering the material and the notes and info usually finds its way to you in good course.

All in all I'd highly recommend. You'd do very well to get another 18 month evening course that gets you to Level 8 FETAC and I don't think they're taking any shortcuts with the content, if you want to put the work in. Fees of €5400 cover the entire course, though they'll want you to pay the registration fee twice (so keep any assurances in writing :) )

We've a class of 8, I think we're all on course for 1.1 awards and any one of us is on first-name terms with our lecturers.

Essentially, I've attended a few third level or similar level institutes and the problems with GCD aren't especially unique nor serious, and I've found it does exactly what it says on the tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mandymandy

Hi Everybody,

I`m planning to start the Higher dip. in computing part time course in Griffith college Dublin.
    Just wondering, could somebody send me through the modules for this course ( on griffith website is very general concepts are shown as
    "Computer Programming - what language?
    Relational Databases
    Computer Architecture and Organisation
    Programming and Data Structures
    Discrete Mathematics - can someone be specific about math? what do we cover?
    Data Communication and Networks
    Object Orientated Development
    HCI and GUI Programming
    Operating System Design
    Software Engineering for Web Applications")

Does anyone know what programming language they use ?

Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Java and c#
    Though not programing
    Html and css

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭spr1nt3r

Some horror stories on this thread. Does anyone have anything up to date on this college? I have interview with them next week and not sure if I am going to attend... DBS seems like a better choice.

• Advertisement

Computer Programming
    Java
    Relational Databases
    MySQL
    Theory
    Java
    Discrete Mathematics
    Mostly matrixes. Polynumerals, algebra, set theory, etc.
    Theory
    Java
    HCI and GUI Programming
    JavaFX
    Operating System Design
    Theory
    Software Engineering for Web Applications
    HTML, javascript, php, SQL
    [/QUOTE]

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Computer Programming
    Java
    Relational Databases
    MySQL
    Theory
    Java
    Discrete Mathematics
    Mostly matrixes. Polynumerals, algebra, set theory, etc.
    Theory
    Java
    HCI and GUI Programming
    JavaFX
    Operating System Design
    Theory
    Software Engineering for Web Applications
    HTML, javascript, php, SQL
    [/quote]

Thanks a lot for sharing. How did you find this course? Did you do yours in a year or two? If you are finished, did it affect your employment or search for one in any way?

spr1nt3r wrote: »

Thanks a lot for sharing. How did you find this course? Did you do yours in a year or two? If you are finished, did it affect your employment or search for one in any way?[/QUOTE]

I found it to be quite good overall.

The programming modules were great, but the theory ones were kind of "meh" with some really outdated materials in some cases.

Lecturers generally were good, with one or two not so good.

I did it out of personal interest instead of any career ambition, but of the 7 others who did the course with me, a few of them have been promoted since, so i'd say yes it helped. All of us were already employed while doing the course (part-time group).

I will say that progression within Griffith may be problematic. I had wanted to do the MsC this year but "we didn't have the numbers" apparently.
    So you can take their "continue with our MsC" promise with a pinch of salt.

CruelCoin wrote: »

Thanks a lot for sharing. How did you find this course? Did you do yours in a year or two? If you are finished, did it affect your employment or search for one in any way?

I found it to be quite good.

The programming modules were great, but the theory ones were kind of "meh" with some really outdated materials in some cases.

Lecturers generally were great.

I did it out of personal interest instead of any career ambition, but of the 7 others who did the course with me, fully 4-5 of them have been promoted in the last year, so i'd say yes, it helped![/quote]

Thanks for sharing. I have Griffith Vs DIT and despite some bad reviews Griffith seems to be the one to go for.

Going for Griffith college this time. Fingers crossed..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 morinmemphis

fella s , i m starting h dip in computing in DIT , Pls send me your no need some advise , insight , as i m from a medical background .. so i m worried alott . thanks .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

fella s , i m starting h dip in computing in DIT , Pls send me your no need some advise , insight , as i m from a medical background .. so i m worried alott . thanks .

What insight are you looking for?I'm in 4th year in a similar course in GMIT

What insight are you looking for?I'm in 4th year in a similar course in GMIT

Gmit..?? Where is it..? I m goin to DIT IN january..! Wanna knw the difficulty level..!! Employability..? Or should i do msc in computing..?? Thanks.

Gmit..?? Where is it..? I m goin to DIT IN january..! Wanna knw the difficulty level..!! Employability..? Or should i do msc in computing..?? Thanks.

GMIT = Galway Mayo Institute of Technology.
    I done a lot of the class stated and had difficulty with Java and we also didn't do any maths.How confident are you with computers can you give me an idea. If you are interested in computers I think you will be fine.

GMIT = Galway Mayo Institute of Technology.
    I done a lot of the class stated and had difficulty with Java and we also didn't do any maths.How confident are you with computers can you give me an idea. If you are interested in computers I think you will be fine.

Oh , k . Yeah i m pretty happy with the computers..as i m doing testing course , i knw its a different game when it comes to programming. But i will overcome .

Its a 1 year full time monday to friday, i ll be working Friday saturday sunday nights . And play around with my Annual leaves . Will seehow it goes .. i dnt pay any fee , its ict conversion course.

Thanks man

Oh , k . Yeah i m pretty happy with the computers..as i m doing testing course , i knw its a different game when it comes to programming. But i will overcome .

Its a 1 year full time monday to friday, i ll be working Friday saturday sunday nights . And play around with my Annual leaves . Will seehow it goes .. i dnt pay any fee , its ict conversion course.

Thanks man

Programming didn't suit me, I only done java, there a big learning curve and you won't coast it. If you have a genuine interest you will do fine. I done most of the modules posted above in some shape of form, for the most part its grand when you keep up with the classes, not to intensive. Good luck with it

Advertisement