Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

return policy for a company in amazon marketplace

Options
  • 15-07-2013 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

I want to buy a blender from a company in amazon's marketplace. I read one of the reviews for the same product where 2 customers mention the blender was nice, but after 1 week it stopped working and they had to send it back at their own cost. I'm wondering if this is the norm, seeing as, well, a product that fails within a week is clearly not fit for purpose and I shouldn't be penalized by it, particularly as insured post costs could come to about 50-60% of the blender's price.

Thanks for clarification!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

buy a different blender.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭gagomes

sandin wrote: »
    buy a different blender.

The answer to the question no one asked, thanks anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If the blender fails, through no fault of yours, then the retailer has to cover the cost of return postage. This is EU law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

dudara wrote: »
    If the blender fails, through no fault of yours, then the retailer has to cover the cost of return postage. This is EU law.
    That's only true, as long as the seller is in the EU.
    And even there it might be difficult to force him to pay for it, if he decides to play hardball when you try to return a defect good to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

mdebets wrote: »
    And even there it might be difficult to force him to pay for it, if he decides to play hardball when you try to return a defect good to him.

if the item is bought off the .co.uk site then it doesn't matter where is the seller from

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    if the item is bought off the .co.uk site then it doesn't matter where is the seller from

In theory it would matter since Amazon aren't officially trading from within the EU. They trade from Jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭gagomes

As I understand it, it's a german retailer that sells their products through the amazon marketplace, I use the amazon.co.uk.

I think amazon sides with the customers when it comes to disputes like these from what I just read.

Soundman wrote: »
    In theory it would matter since Amazon aren't officially trading from within the EU. They trade from Jersey.
    I don't see Jersey mentioned there:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon.com#Headquarters
    gagomes wrote: »
    I think amazon sides with the customers when it comes to disputes like these from what I just read.
    from my experience: always

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If he won't accept a return of a defective item, then take that confirmation in writing to your credit card provider and seek a chargeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

General terms of any online sales are buyer pays for postage to return the item - seller for replacement. No warranty covers postage. That is my understanding.

If you are unhappy with seller performance reading his reviews - go somewhere else. My brother works in online/onsite selling business and the amount of unjustified reviews from online sales is ridiculous. People can give you negative because courier woke them up at 10am etc

Buying online is a bargain at times, but you have take postal charges into account before you commit to buy.

• Advertisement

If your goods are faulty, or you're sent substitute items that you don't want, the retailer must pay return postage costs
    and
    Who pays return postage?

The seller's terms and conditions or returns policy should state who pays the cost of returning goods.

If they don't state this (as in: at the time of buying the item), then the seller has to cover the cost.

In this case, you're entitled to a refund of the total amount you paid, including any charge to ship the goods to you. No admin or restocking fees should be charged.

If the seller wants to send substitute goods, because they don't have the items you wanted in stock, it should say so before you place your order.

The cost of returning substitutes should always be at the seller’s expense.
    http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/distance-selling-regulations/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

dudara wrote: »
    If he won't accept a return of a defective item, then take that confirmation in writing to your credit card provider and seek a chargeback.
    That's only good if the defect happens a few weeks after buying, not months down the line.

That's only good if the defect happens a few weeks after buying, not months down the line.

If you are talking about cooling off period - it is regulated. But only when product was not used.
    When it comes to warranty - buyer postage is at his expense. No exception unless stated otherwise.

Few weeks and monhs down the line description is not very accurate. You either know, or you don't.

fl4pj4ck wrote: »

You clarified it well enough, but worth mentioning that some shops will cover postage.
    Generally it is a buyer who pays postage for return, and seller pays it only when returning fixed item back. In some cases it is manufacturer who fixes the fault, and you may be asked to post straight to them (happened to me with Samsung disc). Whether it is manufacturer/supplier/seller one of them will post product back at their expense. Fair enough in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Generally buyer pays to return item and its refunded if fault is confirmed

Advertisement