Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of moving to Oz on WHV

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

danotroy wrote: »
    I don't drive. I do eat though.

The guys who deliver you food and beer drive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

Mellor wrote: »
    The guys who deliver you food and beer drive though.

Of course. I can't remember how much food cost in Ireland at the shops and if its more expensive here. Some great cheap eateries around Melbourne. Wonderbao, laksa king, shangdon mama, don don's. Huge feed for ten dollars or less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Of course. I can't remember how much food cost in Ireland at the shops and if its more expensive here. Some great cheap eateries around Melbourne. Wonderbao, laksa king, shangdon mama, don don's. Huge feed for ten dollars or less.
    I agree, there are some really good cheap eats. I do however wonder about the quality of the food. What we pay for groceries is Coles/Woolies just doesn't feel like value for money. Coles/Woolies control 80% of the entire Australian grocery market so the power is very much in their hands.
    In the small Irish town I left we had a lidl, Aldi, Supervalu, SuperQuinn (which I believe is part of Supervalu now, open to correction) and Dunnes. On top of them there were independent fruit and shops and butchers.
    Even Walmart at 28% of the US market doesn't come near the dominance of the Australian duopoly!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

24 becks for $36 at my local independent Bottlo and 2 for $65. So if we use the minimum wage of roughly 18 dollars, less than two hours work for a crate of beer and just over 3 hours work will get you 48 beers. If 24 bottles of becks is 26 euros at home and the min wage is 9 euros it takes nearly 3 hours to get a crate of beer.

I maintain that Australia is cheaper for beer if you compare it to wages.

Well you might assume 24 might be a bit cheaper than 2x12 but it's probably going be around €24 mark which is about $35. I was back in Ireland a month or so ago it and it's not that cheap, sure work out the prices of goods and services and the €/$Au may seem cheaper. But factor in the taxes in Ireland and it's not so flash, it's not as if you have more money in your pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Why has this thread gone from going to Australia on a whv to a discussion on the price of alcohol? Is that all people are worried about when they first get here these days?

• Advertisement

aido79 wrote: »
    Why has this thread gone from going to Australia on a whv to a discussion on the price of alcohol? Is that all people are worried about when they first get here these days?
    You gotta have priorities Aido!

Came across this on facebook

the $10 pint.

Compared to a pint in PJ O'Briens in Sydney $8.20

*I know someone will post some ridiculous price for Perth since they include an idiot Tax over there, well you would be an idiot to pay it because the real price is about $8

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

mandrake04 wrote: »
    *I know someone will post some ridiculous price for Perth since they include an idiot Tax over there, well you would be an idiot to pay it because the real price is about $8

It's either that or don't drink outside the home though so I don't see how that makes someone who pays for a pint in a pub an "idiot" :confused:

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It's either that or don't drink outside the home though so I don't see how that makes someone who pays for a pint in a pub an "idiot" :confused:

Have you ever heard of a saying "A fool is easily parted with his money"?

The price in Sydney and Melbourne is about $8 and that what it should be in Perth, if the fools refused to pay it then it would be $8 in Perth as well.

Have you ever heard of a saying "A fool is easily parted with his money"?

The price in Sydney and Melbourne is about $8 and that what it should be in Perth, if the fools refused to pay it then it would be $8 in Perth as well.

Nope, never heard of that phrase.

I'll just sit in every night of year so and hope the rest of city follows suit. Can't be actin the fool.

Edit: The average wage in Perth is also higher than other states so naturally the price will be more, though $3 more is OTT.

• Advertisement

Nope, never heard of that phrase.

I'll just sit in every night of year so and hope the rest of city follows suit. Can't be actin the fool.

Don't have to sit in.... just give them $8 and say you refuse to pay the idiot tax.
    Edit: The average wage in Perth is also higher than other states so naturally the price will be more, though $3 more is OTT.

there's no way the average wages in perth are 37% more than Sydney.

Don't have to sit in.... just give them $8 and say you refuse to pay the idiot tax.

Can't see that going down to well with the bar or door staff can you?

there's no way the average wages in perth are 37% more than Sydney.[/QUOTE]

I know it's not, which is why I said "$3 more is OTT". My local is about $9.50 a pint which is ok all things considered, it's the city that stings you. Same can be said for anywhere though really so there's fools everywhere.

Can't see that going down to well with the bar or door staff can you?

there's no way the average wages in perth are 37% more than Sydney

I know it's not, which is why I said "$3 more is OTT". My local is about $9.50 a pint which is ok all things considered, it's the city that stings you. Same can be said for anywhere though really so there's fools everywhere.

You don't have to be all defensive about feeling foolish, it not your fault but there is absolutely no reason why they can charge $3 more than a pub in Sydney CBD.

And worse my wife was served her cocktail in a jamjar in this hipster bar in perth!

You don't have to be all defensive about feeling foolish, it not your fault but there is absolutely no reason why they can charge $3 more than a pub in Sydney CBD.

I don't feel foolish in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

Is this the kind of bickering I can expect to stumble upon when I land on my WHV? :)

We have been lucky enough to have our regional work sorted for the first 3 months in Griffith so the price of alcohol won't be of too much concern until after then anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

how did you sort your regional work before you went over if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

how did you sort your regional work before you went over if you don't mind me asking?

A relative of a relative sort of thing. We got very lucky but we're delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Laura Steph

Just found this thread...and in a roundabout way, to bring it back briefly to 'beverages', can you get any decent tea/chocolate in Oz or are you best to buy a massive shipment of Lyons with you? (Or will Immigration shut me down on that one??)

(Sadly, the lack of Lyons tea is now one of my major concerns, now that I have most of the documentation etc sorted.)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

Just found this thread...and in a roundabout way, to bring it back briefly to 'beverages', can you get any decent tea/chocolate in Oz or are you best to buy a massive shipment of Lyons with you? (Or will Immigration shut me down on that one??)

(Sadly, the lack of Lyons tea is now one of my major concerns, now that I have most of the documentation etc sorted.)

You can buy Barry's Tea in Woolworths along with the likes of bisto gravy, club orange, hellmans mayo, fig rolls etc. Also Cadburys is readily available here and although it is slightly different than the Cadburys you get at home, is still pretty good.

(You can still bring as much Lyons tea as you like with no problems from customs)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

You can get tetleys in the supermarkets, exact same as the tetleys at home. My boyfriend was all like I come from a lyons house im not gonna like that...so I tells him you do know that I always gave you tetleys in my house in ireland and you never complained or noticed it was different. He hasnt mentioned lyons since and we havent bothered have anyone send tea over as we dont need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Lipton Intense.

That is all.

Advertisement