Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xtra Vision Confusion!!!!

Options
  • 15-07-2013 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭

Im a little confused about Xtra Vision. I know you can rent games and movies but can you purchase games and movies like a normal entertainment store.
    And also... Are Xtra Vision strict when it comes to age like im 16 and if I wanted to buy a game like Grand Theft Auto would they allow me.

(sorry dont know if im posting this in the right section. Plz direct me)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Yes xtravision do sales as well as rental. As for being strict - I really hope so!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,083 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The vast, vast majority of computer games are not age rated in Ireland and any store using the UK age ratings are doing so at their own discretion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

MYOB wrote: »
    The vast, vast majority of computer games are not age rated in Ireland and any store using the UK age ratings are doing so at their own discretion.

They'd be doing themselves no favours by not using them, however, you are essentially correct. There is an issue though that if it's an import it might be rated here and not have the correct rating on it. They should be over-stickered with the Irish rating but it's easily missed.

I think all the games places here use the UK ratings as a self regulation measure. AFAIK most of the GTA games got an Irish rating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

Wrong, all are age rated.
    Are Xtra Vision strict when it comes to age like im 16 and if I wanted to buy a game like Grand Theft Auto would they allow me.

If you look older you might get away with it depending on clerk, but more than likely they wont give it to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Buy online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I believe the Age Rating on games are not enforced. I could be wrong here, but Age Ratings are, in fact, nothing more than a guideline to help parents identify inappropriate games. You don't actually need to be that age to buy it. As I said, I could be wrong, but I have worked in similar retail stores for years and I heard that some where on my travels.

This comes down to titles which have the ESRB or EU Rating. Not the U.K/Irish certificate.

TheBza wrote: »

Link? I'm pretty sure it's left to PEGI and PEGI isn't enforceable.
    gcgirl wrote: »
    Buy online

As soon as everyone does this games will no longer be available as a physical medium and you'll be paying €99 for a new release. Sony wanted PS3 games to retail at €74.99, only because the retailers said feck off did they only creep up by a fiver or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Link? I'm pretty sure it's left to PEGI and PEGI isn't enforceable.

Yeah, that. :P ESRB and PEGI.

Falthyron wrote: »
    Yeah, that. :P ESRB and PEGI.

ESRB rating are much better they aren't ages they are letters indicating the audience. Only M (mature) needs control and T if it's a young child been let lose.

If its got a ESRB logo on it it won't work on the consoles here though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

Whats the difference, they're still age restricted if they were to buy one in the shops. Most the games i buy have the 18 logo on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

ESRB rating are much better they aren't ages they are letters indicating the audience. Only M (mature) needs control and T if it's a young child been let lose.

If its got a ESRB logo on it it won't work on the consoles here though.

Not true I have plenty of esrb rated games that work in Ireland.

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Not true I have plenty of esrb rated games that work in Ireland.

They're US region. If they're working on your console you've done something to allow that.

TheBza wrote: »

Erm. No. No they're not.

PEGI ratings have no legal basis here. Please do even the tiniest bit of research before making inaccurate statements.
    They're US region. If they're working on your console you've done something to allow that.

Some games are un-regioned, some use the same packaging worldwide for cost reasons; and PC games don't have regions.

Some games are un-regioned, some use the same packaging worldwide for cost reasons; and PC games don't have regions.

Almost no one does that - they use different packaging for different markets, even the box art is different usually. It's scary the level of detail they go into, picking fonts for different markets.

I've rarely if ever seen a PC game on sale with an US rating - that said it's been a while since I worked in the industry or bought a PC game in a shop.

Almost no one does that - they use different packaging for different markets, even the box art is different usually. It's scary the level of detail they go into, picking fonts for different markets.

I've rarely if ever seen a PC game on sale with an US rating - that said it's been a while since I worked in the industry or bought a PC game in a shop.

It may be almost no-one but it does definitely happen - I'd have a fair few PC games (and the extremely rare PS game) with an ESRB logo on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

It may be almost no-one but it does definitely happen - I'd have a fair few PC games (and the extremely rare PS game) with an ESRB logo on it.

You are right . The rest are simply wrong.
    Many esrb rated games are made to work on European consoles and computers . How do I know ? I've bought and used them . The us gaming stores have a list of games that will and Won't work in other regions . I have asked them to check it before.

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    You are right . The rest are simply wrong.
    Many esrb rated games are made to work on European consoles and computers . How do I know ? I've bought and used them . The us gaming stores have a list of games that will and Won't work in other regions . I have asked them to check it before.

They might very well be but although PEGI has little standing in Ireland, although that might change if the industry ignore it, other european states use them as a ratings platform, generally as guidelines but some take it more seriously than others.

The ESRB is the US rating system for US games and although they may be region free the majority will not be region encoded. This is generally a licensing requirement from Microsoft and Sony given different agreements for different markets.

PC gaming is totally different, however the same issues regarding the guidelines used apply.

The simple fact is that it's unlikely an ESRB game would bother working in Europe for the simple fact most would not be localised for the diversity of European languages. The biggest market in Europe, Germany, would take a very dim view of games that had not gone through their local censorship board as would the Aussies.

How do I know? 7 years in the industry working for the two biggest games retailers in Europe and the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Yup. It's IFCO that step in if there's enough furore over a game isn't it, PEGI is just a good guide that IFCO are generally happy to endorse - Manhunt 2 anyone?

Advertisement