Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Think Our Dog Was Poisoned

• 15-07-2013 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭

Right, so my black labrador has started vomiting recently, a lot. It's coming out yellow at times.

He eats what we eat, only the best, so not from that. We live with my granda, who seems to be spraying mixtures of Dettol, petrol and Jeyes fluid in the back garden. We've confronted him on this, but he keeps saying its not his fault. Could it be? Seems only option. He also grows mint down the back which the dogs do be at.

He doesn't particularly care about the dogs, or us for that matter. If the sickness is caused by poisoning from that stuff, what can we do to stop him? Report him to DSPCA, Gards? Bear in mind he doesn't seem to listen to us..

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Keep your dog out of he back garden when you can't supervise it? Dog eating or sniffing around is not exactly unheard off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭fta93

Nody wrote: »
    Keep your dog out of he back garden when you can't supervise it? Dog eating or sniffing around is not exactly unheard off.

It's our back garden, almost always supervised. It's just the alcoholic granda has no regard for us, let alone the dogs. We can't be here every 2nd to stop him spraying his highly toxic mixes on the grass etc

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭irritablebaz

i doubt your dog would be attracted to eat or lick anything anywhere near such noxious substances you have mentioned. also vomiting is not always a sign of poisoning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

fta93 wrote: »
    It's our back garden, almost always supervised. It's just the alcoholic granda has no regard for us, let alone the dogs. We can't be here every 2nd to stop him spraying his highly toxic mixes on the grass etc

Get rid of all the chemicals he is spraying in the garden, spraying bleach, petrol & jeyes fluid around the garden is surely against environmental regulations too

EnterNow wrote: »
    Get rid of all the chemicals he is spraying in the garden, spraying bleach, petrol & jeyes fluid around the garden is surely against environmental regulations too

We're trying that, not that it will definitely stop him. As I said he's stubborn and aggressive. Always thinks he's right.

And yeah, the smell in the garden is atrocious from it. Will look into that.

• Advertisement

i doubt your dog would be attracted to eat or lick anything anywhere near such noxious substances you have mentioned. also vomiting is not always a sign of poisoning.

It's where they walk, run, sit all day, almost sure that's what done it because as I said they're diet is fine, they stay out of heat etc.

I thought vomiting was a symptom no? Even if not then I do think either the taste, smell or digestion of that crap caused the vomiting

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ultrasonic

When you say the dog eats what you eat, is that curry and stuff? Maybe try dog food or get some veterinary advice.

I can't believe your Grandad is spraying petrol around the place. Disinfectant and Jeyes Fluid would be reasonable if there is poop everywhere. Do you clean up the mess afterwards?

Calling the Guards or other authorities when it is your Grandad's home would not be good for family relations. I would not recommend that course of action.

ultrasonic wrote: »
    When you say the dog eats what you eat, is that curry and stuff? Maybe try dog food or get some veterinary advice.

I can't believe your Grandad is spraying petrol around the place. Disinfectant and Jeyes Fluid would be reasonable if there is poop everywhere. Do you clean up the mess afterwards?

Calling the Guards or other authorities when it is your Grandad's home would not be good for family relations. I would not recommend that course of action.

No not curry! Proper meat, chicken almost daily, some dog food, meats, mince. All proper meats, no processed food, takeaways or anything.

It's not technically his home. Grandparents own part, parents own part. We're just at the end of our tether with him. We had to get the same labs stomach pumped two years ago when he put down ant killer which clearly said on the tin it was hazardous for pets. He doesn't listen, always thinks he's right, try to talk to him and he just shouts.

Authorities would be last resort but I don't want one of my dogs ending up dead, if you get we're I'm coming from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

No not curry! Proper meat, chicken almost daily, some dog food, meats, mince. All proper meats, no processed food, takeaways or anything.

It's not technically his home. Grandparents own part, parents own part. We're just at the end of our tether with him. We had to get the same labs stomach pumped two years ago when he put down ant killer which clearly said on the tin it was hazardous for pets. He doesn't listen, always thinks he's right, try to talk to him and he just shouts.

Authorities would be last resort but I don't want one of my dogs ending up dead, if you get we're I'm coming from.

We can't give medical advice to humans on this board, I assume its the same for pets so I would say go get the dogs checked out by a vet. Take a sample of the vomit with you and ask if they can test it to see what caused it. If it turns out that it was something your granddad put down then I would be having a very serious conversation with him, which if he didn't take the hint would result in one of the two of you leaving the house. I don't know the ins and outs of it, but if someone in my house was doing something which put the welfare of one of my animals at risk, then either they would be out on their ear, or I would be gone. I don't know if you have a mutually beneficial arrangement or what, but it seems to have stopped being beneficial.

syklops wrote: »
    We can't give medical advice to humans on this board, I assume its the same for pets so I would say go get the dogs checked out by a vet. Take a sample of the vomit with you and ask if they can test it to see what caused it. If it turns out that it was something your granddad put down then I would be having a very serious conversation with him, which if he didn't take the hint would result in one of the two of you leaving the house. I don't know the ins and outs of it, but if someone in my house was doing something which put the welfare of one of my animals at risk, then either they would be out on their ear, or I would be gone. I don't know if you have a mutually beneficial arrangement or what, but it seems to have stopped being beneficial.

Appointment with the vets anyway tonight so hopefully he'll shed some light.

• Advertisement

Appointment with the vets anyway tonight so hopefully he'll shed some light.

Let us know what happens.

He didn't ingest anything so its not serious (so not poisoned). Most likely the taste or smell from all of them substances made him a bit sick.

Ta for all the help everyone. Obviously everything not sorted, but at least the big fella's ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

No problem if you don't want to answer OP but I'm very curious about why he'd be spraying a mix including petrol??? I can understand Jeyes fluid or dettol but the petrol has me.

As a side, one of my buddies has been trying to figure out why some of his fleeces are getting bald spots and some in the shape of a pawprint. We were thinking it might be the jeyes fluid he sprays in the yard & if the dogs have walked over it before it's dry & maybe jumped on his jumper. He hasn't tested the theory yet but if it does turn out that jeyes is 'melting' his fleece as such then can you imagine the effect on dogs?

I hope ye don't burn outdoor candles... ;-)

I don't know tbh. He cares more about his precious garden than anyone or anything. He just mixes what he can basically, no reasoning behind it. He's killed off every blade of grass in one part of the garden and now seems intent on destroying everything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,582 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Right, so my black labrador has started vomiting recently, a lot. It's coming out yellow at times.

He eats what we eat, only the best, so not from that. We live with my granda, who seems to be spraying mixtures of Dettol, petrol and Jeyes fluid in the back garden. We've confronted him on this, but he keeps saying its not his fault. Could it be? Seems only option. He also grows mint down the back which the dogs do be at.

He doesn't particularly care about the dogs, or us for that matter. If the sickness is caused by poisoning from that stuff, what can we do to stop him? Report him to DSPCA, Gards? Bear in mind he doesn't seem to listen to us..
    Dogs have different digestive than humans, eating what you eat wouldn't really be the best for him.

He didn't ingest anything so its not serious (so not poisoned). Most likely the taste or smell from all of them substances made him a bit sick.

Ta for all the help everyone. Obviously everything not sorted, but at least the big fella's ok.

I don't suppose you do the cooking for your Grandad as well as putting up with him? If you do a liberal dash of vinegar or mustard to his meals, and tell him while he continues spreading his concoctions in the garden where your dogs live, he will get a concoction of mustard, or vinegar or some other thing on his breakfast, lunch and dinner, until he stops or until he moves out.

It may seem petty but if talking has failed?

his diet's fine, vet has no problems with it. Mixture of dog food, meat, chicken, veg. Our oldest is 13 and has been eating like this and we've never had a problem with him.

syklops wrote: »
    I don't suppose you do the cooking for your Grandad as well as putting up with him? If you do a liberal dash of vinegar or mustard to his meals, and tell him while he continues spreading his concoctions in the garden where your dogs live, he will get a concoction of mustard, or vinegar or some other thing on his breakfast, lunch and dinner, until he stops or until he moves out.

It may seem petty but if talking has failed?

Unfortunately not! He eats and cooks his own vile concoctions from his own poison rhubarb plants and the likes. As I said he's stubborn, and what I would classify as an alcoholic, thus making talking hard, which is why I mentioned DSPCA etc in OP.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Without knowing the ins and outs of the set-up you've got there OP, is cordoning off a part of the garden just for the dogs an option? A grandad-free zone? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

FYI Jeyes and Dettol are both toxic to cats, as they contain phenols.

Can't be good for dogs to be walking on and possibly licking off their paws.

I feel for you in the situation OP, it's very worrying and frustrating.

• Advertisement
Advertisement