Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat wave affect on lawn

• 15-07-2013 4:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

Hi,

The recent sunny spell has turned my lawn (and everybody elses) to a crispy spotty orange and green mess.

Whats the long term effect on the grass? Is there a breaking point? Should we be watering our lawn? How is your lawn holding up?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

On this, is it a good idea to mow the lawn late in the day? some say that when its very sunny the grass will react badly to being cut. Thats if there is grass there to be cut in the first place :-D given the scorching being experienced currently

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

EAFC_rdfl wrote: »
    On this, is it a good idea to mow the lawn late in the day? some say that when its very sunny the grass will react badly to being cut. Thats if there is grass there to be cut in the first place :-D given the scorching being experienced currently

I think in very hot weather you shouldnt cut your lawn in direct overhead sunlight. I'd leave it until 6PM or after. To be honest the only thing growing on my "lawn" are the flowers on the clover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

Grass is fairly resilient so it will come back. There was a couple of days of heavy rain a few weeks ago, and just before it fell I put a bit of fertilizer out, and my lawn is fairly green now.

There is not much you can do - cut it if it needs cutting late in the evening.

As soon as the weather turns, and only if persistent rain is forecast for a few days (it will happen) get some fertilizer out on the lawn - 10 - 10 - 20 to get the nitrogen levels back up. But literally wait until the last hour before the rain comes, and it has to be a lot of rain, or more damage will be done. In the mean time enjoy the sun.

Advertisement