Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving my laptop and camera in car boot

Options
  • 15-07-2013 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,

I am visiting Ireland.
    I'll be driving around Cork, Ring of Kerry, Galway, Connemara.

Wonder if it is safe to leave my laptop and camera gear in my car boot (trunk) while the car is parked at tourist attractions or car park?

Thanks.

Niabail
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

No one can say if it's going happen or not really. It could, but it's not something I personally often hear about.

It's your risk to take, but if Irish tourist areas are known for car break ins, it's not something I've heard of.

Maybe someone else can correct me on that...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ireland is pretty safe but there's regularly break-ins into cars, no matter where you are.
    In short, don't leave anything of value in a parked car ever.

It may be heavy to lug them around but it's the better option in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

on average it'll be safe, just don't have anything enticing on show in the car or be seen placing the gear in the boot in a crowded place where you may be observed. and don't worry, in general, it'll be fine.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

If it's parked near a pub or a shop, you might be able to ask the staff to put the items away behind the counter until you return, we are generally friendly like that. They may refuse but you don't know unless you ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Niabail

Thanks everyone.
    I shall try to avoid keeping them in the car, but may have to do so sometimes. Keeping my fingers crossed!!! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Sometimes for work I have to carry an expensive camera with me, and often leave it locked in the boot, never had any problems. But then I don't drive an expensive or impressive looking car, and there'd be nothing in the car itself that would be visible, I leave nothing on the seats, so between it not being a car that suggests money :P and keeping it empty looking it has never attracted any attention.

The only time anyone I know has had a break in was when my mum left her handbag on the passenger seat accidentally on a side street on a dark evening, came back to a smashed window and bag gone, but as she said herself it was an easy target.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

If you see a cctv camera out side a shop or in a carpark try and park near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I've left my laptop in the car, either under the passenger seat or in the boot... it's been fine. The Guards (our police) always advise that you store valuables like that in the boot/trunk of your car. Then again, if it's an expensive new rental car, I don't know if they get targeted, but I don't hear about it. If your car is a rental, I'd ask the place you are renting from, they'd give the best advice I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Rental cars and foreign registered cars would probably be the prime targets as they would be most likely to hold "valuable" stuff.

While Ireland could be relatively safe, I'd apply the precautions I'd take anywhere in the world and minimise the amount of equipment carried around, like leaving the laptop in the hotel, not putting things in the boot at the time of parking for fear of being observed and attracting attention, carry the camera around when leaving the car, obviously not leaving anything obvious in sight ...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You could leave them in your boot 99 times and it'll be fine but there's always the chance you'll be the unlucky one.

Thieves seem to operate on cycles out the country. They come from the cities and do the rounds of small towns and tourist spots, so if they do steal something it's in Dublin being sold that night. It's rarely locals that do the robbing and there's no hope of getting it back.

Don't take the risk is always good advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭roseagra

I'd be inclined to err on the side of caution. There have been spates of break ins to cars of people near beaches, the ones I've heard about have been either through surfers or windsurfers where the thieves know the car will be left for some time.

I guess you'll have to judge it on where you are.

Just a heads up to say that unfortunately it does happen.

Advertisement