Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grand Canal path Clondalkin Dangerous

• 15-07-2013 6:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭

Hi, just a warning about the Grand Canal path through Clondalkin, cycling home tonight a gang of young lads on bikes threw stones at me as we passed each other and a few hit my bike and my shins. I knew the Canal path was dangerous but this is the first incident for me. What can you do there was 6 or 7 of them?

Bloody legs.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Hi, just a warning about the Grand Canal path through Clondalkin, cycling home tonight a gang of young lads on bikes threw stones at me as we passed each other and a few hit my bike and my shins. I knew the Canal path was dangerous but this is the first incident for me. What can you do there was 6 or 7 of them?

Bloody legs.jpg

Take a different route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Call the local cop shop. I know a few guards and even though they can't really do anything they prefer to know this stuff in case they get lucky or just to build up a picture of what's going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭fg10291

Was attacked with a knife there back in 2010. That was just shortly after they had introduced all the CCTV cams on the canal to prevent antisocial behaviour. Reported it but nothing came of it. Tbh I'd give it a wide berth. Lots of undesirables use it as a drinking spot. Best use the rd and avoid the hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 17 t.m

Yikes, I go for 5km training along there a couple of times a week, around lunchtime. There tends to be a fair few people around, either walking, jogging or cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭NS77

Zyzz wrote: »
    Take a different route.

Easy solution - but doesn't solve the problem, I'm afraid.

I regularly cycle that route - it's the quickest way into work for me. Loads of anti-social behaviour - though luckily, I haven't experienced anything like the OP. Hope the injuries heal quickly OP :cool:

It's a great facility for the people of West Dublin and we shouldn't let the scum ruin it for the normal members of society. I was about to make my feelings known to local TDs about the level of scumbaggery along the canal before the OP posted this... now that's just added fuel to my fire.

Would be relatively easy to police, I would have thought?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

Let me give you valuable information on this.

the canal is financially supported by the ESB.

there are video cameras dotted along the whole stretch of the route,

the route is video monitored with surveillance cameras 24/7.

I will post the contact numbers for the video surveillance control company, when I check into work tomorrow,

give the time and date of your travel and chances are you are on video.

the advice for us is to notify this control tower for each journey and the cameras will track you along the route.

terrible security precautions , but there u go. ESB paid for the camera and security monitoring.

after the cameras were mounted ( at the light level on poles), the locals spent hours one evening flinging rocks up to smash the cameras.

great amenity, not appreciated by the locals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭columbus_66

I've used the canal paths hundred's of times and this is the only incident I've had. It was at about 5.40pm about 100mts the Lucan side of the 9th Lock. I was carrying something heavy in my hand and that is why I took the canal path this evening. I was going slowly as the steering was affected and I didn't want to be on the raod. The kids are off school now and have nothing to do so they make a nuisance of themselves. There was plenty of people about walking dogs etc but it happened so quick I only came to a stop 50mts up the road when I could feel the pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I really hate scumbags, and it's a shame that they're ruining the best free public amenity in the area.
    I drove down parkwest avenue last week and there was about 50 or 60 kids at the canal lock.

Cienciano wrote: »
    I really hate scumbags, and it's a shame that they're ruining the best free public amenity in the area.
    I drove down parkwest avenue last week and there was about 50 or 60 kids at the canal lock.

its a beautiful amenity. Let e get back to you with the security camera watch details.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

michael196 wrote: »
    after the cameras were mounted ( at the light level on poles), the locals spent hours one evening flinging rocks up to smash the cameras.

They spent hours flinging rocks at the CCTV but nobody noticed or it's not monitored or nobody took action?

• Advertisement

300 lights and 66 cameras

http://www.sdublincoco.ie/index.aspx?pageid=939&pid=19366

contact is out untill spetmeber for the security camera watch controls station

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

I use it every morning, avoid it in the afternoons when it's sunny. Rainy days are great; no one around. Have seen a few groups of drunk kids who are way too young to be out all night at 7am last couple of weeks. Lovely kids had set their rubbish on fire beside one of the locks, which is now partly burnt. Haven't had any bother myself, just can't be arsed pushing my way through hoards of kids on the way home from work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Related thing.....I cycle home along the royal canal from Clontarf to Cabra......this time of the year I go by the roads, mainly because there are so many of our local long term dependents on social welfare out enjoying the sun and drinking. Most of them are ok, but its the gangs of 15 year olds you have to watch out for. A few times they hassled me a bit and I just decided its not worth the risk. Dont want to end up with a bottle thrown at me.

So in summertime I actually cycle home by road instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

It's a pity that these scumbags are allowed to ruin amenities for everyone. They know they can get away with it and there's feck all we can do about it. I'd let the Gardai aware of what happened OP, that's all you can do.

I used to cycle down Whitworth Road years ago. Kids used to congregate on the opposite side of the canal and train tracks and throw rocks at cyclists and motorists. Luckily because of the distance, I was able to see the missiles coming and dodge them. I ended up taking a different route home cos of the little sh1ts!

if you do use the Grand Canal path regularly and experience any difficulties in the first instance you should contact the South Dublin County Council security control room on 087-7760612.

these are the guys monitoring the cameras en route .

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭VeryRapidSkoda

Bumping this as the scum are out in force again with a bit of sun. Throwing stones at the park west/kileen lock.
    About 40 teenagers and anyone going through the kissing gates are sitting ducks. All aged probably in or about 15.
    Just lucky they missed me as I was going through about half an hour ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 proland

Hi, unfortunately it happened to me today as well.
    Looks like the same group...
    I will be contacting Garda tomorrow and check CCTV. I am also considering some self defense accessories in my pannier just in case I will snap.
    This is unacceptable, the laws in here are made in such a way that there is very little consequence for this type of actions...
    I am going/coming from work every day on that path, I will not change it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I was cycling there today, didn't feel too easy passing through the gate but thankfuly no encounter was made. Judging by half-empty vodka bottles in their hands it may get more interesing by the evening... :cool:

proland wrote: »
    Hi, unfortunately it happened to me today as well.
    Looks like the same group...
    I will be contacting Garda tomorrow and check CCTV. I am also considering some self defense accessories in my pannier just in case I will snap.
    This is unacceptable, the laws in here are made in such a way that there is very little consequence for this type of actions...
    I am going/coming from work every day on that path, I will not change it.

I hope you're alright. I only saw them as I can't up from under the bridge but continued on through the group. it was as I stopped at gate that the stones whizzed by. They were fist sized stones that they were aiming at me. They would do some damage if hit with them. I was thinking thankfully i had my helmet on and bag on my back that would give some protection if hit.
    I warned a few cyclists that were cycling from clondalkin direction towards them.
    What can one person do against all of them, they would probably try nick your bike if you confronted them. There were more a bit further up but throwing water instead of rocks but I can deal with that.
    There should be done kind of policing in these known spots.

You are right, not much I can do on my own. Probably fighting back will bring death to my bike and injuries to me and a few of them, too many of them to handle no mater how overconfident I am in my ninja skills.
    The nature of the laws and alcoholism in this country are discouraging me to cycle to work (so I can pay for the taxes that are used for cycle paths, social welfare for some of the parents, etc)
    I will avoid that cycle path in the future on my way back. In the morning at 8am can't see any danger.

• Advertisement

Ah decisions decisions! Death by stoning or death by dangerous roads...a great dilemma to have just to get home from work. Handlebar mounted Gatling gun would be ideal :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

You are right, not much I can do on my own. Probably fighting back will bring death to my bike and injuries to me and a few of them, too many of them to handle no mater how overconfident I am in my ninja skills.

Not a fight that is worth taking. You win, they get the Gardaí on you and you get done for assaulting a minor, you lose you end up injured or worse with your bike fecked in the canal. Terrible reflection on society, but going all Rambo on it is not the way to go. I'd be interested on what the Gardaí have to say about it.

I will go there tomorrow at lunchtime, I am curious as well.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Sorry for going off topic, but is this a common thing in the summer along the canal? Just moved into Clondalkin start of the year and was looking to get a bike to commute along the canal, but now I read this...

Yes, in the summer it seems common because "recreation"
    Also common in the winter because nightfall.
    That path needs to be avoided let's say after 3PM (this is my preliminary conclusion)
    The law also protects punks (minors) that throw rocks at people. They are the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

They hang out in the same spots every time there's a bit of sun. It wouldn't take much for the gards to run a couple of patrols up and down the canal on such days and just disperse the ****ers. Or at least confiscate their booze!!

That would be active as opposed to reactive policing though I guess and we don't really see a lot of that these days unfortunately.

I have a better route home myself but the canal is nearby and it would be nice to feel like I could use it but I don't so I don't.

They hang out in the same spots every time there's a bit of sun. It wouldn't take much for the gards to run a couple of patrols up and down the canal on such days and just disperse the ****ers. Or at least confiscate their booze!!

That would be active as opposed to reactive policing though I guess and we don't really see a lot of that these days unfortunately.

I have a better route home myself but the canal is nearby and it would be nice to feel like I could use it but I don't so I don't.

Are many people reporting them to the Gardai? They are unlikely to know about it or act unless they get at least one, if not a few people reporting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

monument wrote: »
    Are many people reporting them to the Gardai? They are unlikely to know about it or act unless they get at least one, if not a few people reporting it.

You're talking about groups of people sometimes up to a hundred in an area crammed with CCTV. Every day like today it happens. It's as predictable as The Barge having a rush on cider on a day like today. If they don't know they should know, reports or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Contributor 2013

Bloody legs.jpg

Be a man, with your hairy legs, get off your bike and start swinging - if they're as young as you imply, target the loudest one first, the rest will cower and scramble. You might catch a few digs, but you'll be a hero in the local paper.

Honest advice. Man up.

• Advertisement

Funny how you cyclists can give it large to one person in a steel cage who could end your life with a swing of their steering wheel yet can't confront a bunch of kids. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

God almighty, almost twelve at night and you're composing this drivel. Does no-one love you?

My lovers are few and far between, but i still get mine ;)

Back to the subject.... Yea.

Man the **** up.

FYI I was composing on the Dublin drug dealers / drug problem thread, if you want me to compose about cyclists in Dublin, you'll need a few more pages to be available.

I have opinions, they're mine and I'm more than happy to publicize them on my somewhat anonymous boards.ie account :OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭gk5000

Bumping this as the scum are out in force again with a bit of sun. Throwing stones at the park west/kileen lock.
    About 40 teenagers and anyone going through the kissing gates are sitting ducks. All aged probably in or about 15.
    Just lucky they missed me as I was going through about half an hour ago.
    In fairness most of them are just jumping in the locks and strutting their stuff. I went through at 5.30 no problem, and no problem on the few hot days last summer, bar the odd shout.

• Advertisement

You're talking about groups of people sometimes up to a hundred in an area crammed with CCTV. Every day like today it happens. It's as predictable as The Barge having a rush on cider on a day like today. If they don't know they should know, reports or not.

You're confusing knowing about a problem or not with being motivated to deal with a problem. Most police forces need a push to do the latter because otherwise they might not view the problem as harmful one or they might see the problem as contained in an area nobody is complaining about.

In this case, the police may also just not know of the problem element, as per this post:
    gk5000 wrote: »
    In fairness most of them are just jumping in the locks and strutting their stuff. I went through at 5.30 no problem, and no problem on the few hot days last summer, bar the odd shout.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I will go there tomorrow at lunchtime, I am curious as well.

Be interested to hear how you get on.

I go up and down the canal from Dolphins bar to the Leinster aqueduct as a spin often enough. Haven't had any trouble greater than a bit of lip to date, but avoid going under some of the bridges in the summer as they're popular for cider parties. Also come across kids riding and sometimes racing horses, which need to be given a reasonable berth. As per monuments post above, anyone throwing rocks should be reported to the Gardaí as that's pretty serious assault and needs to be dealt with. Wouldn't worry too much about the rest.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,932 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

FYI I was composing on the Dublin drug dealers / drug problem thread, if you want me to compose about cyclists in Dublin, you'll need a few more pages to be available.

Given the standard of your posting already in this thread I would suggest not. Now quit the trolling.

Any questions, PM me - do not respond to this post in-thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

I called the gardai a couple of times last year after getting hit by stones and threatened with a bottle last year (because I said excuse me to try and get past a large group of drunk kids). They said they would send a car out. Avoid it in the afternoons now on sunny days as I don't want to deal with that again.

They wouldn't throw stones at adults walking past them, so not sure why it seems ok when it's someone on a bike. I'm probably older than a lot of their mothers. Something seriously wrong when teenage boys think it's ok to physically threaten a woman. Pity that a groups of kids can wreck a public facility and nothing is done about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

As monument said, the gardai often need a push. There's a park I use regularly and you had winos in the mornings drinking on the bench, and in the summer teenagers quite early in the evenings beside the playground doing the same. Gardai would often drive by it and it was easy for them to see what was happening, but they just drove by. We stopped the gardai every time we saw them drive in the area, or rang the local station, before they started to make an effort to get out of the car and walk over and get them to empty their alcohol and bin the containers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

I was up there for a spin and missed all the action. Maybe it was a bit too late, 9.20 to 10 pm.

Few around. Oh, a group of chungwans sitting on the lock levers at one of the locks. 9th lock, I think. Boys and girls flirting...no big deal.

Was up there on Saturday too, earlier on in the day. Quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭gk5000

I've been through everyday this week about 5.30pm and no problem.

Worth having a look at the guys jumping off the M50 bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

What puzzled me since yesterday, the anecdotal evidence that the Gardai are only interested if there's retaliation, but not for the original assaults. Am I wrong or what?

Advertisement