Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppia dog harness

• 15-07-2013 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hey all,

I've to get a new harness fir our dog, had the halti non pull one but I personally didn't find it great. I was looking at the puppia one and they look more comfortable for the dog.

Has anyone used one before?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

I use a various types of harnesses for my Husky, but she is a natural puller and I didn't want to run the instinct completely out of her, so I avoided non-pull harnesses.

You don't mention the breed or age of your dog, and it's not really important anyway, if you want your dog to stop pulling you around the streets when you walk, you have to be willing to look like a loon for a few days :)

Heres how to do it, Start walking normally, when the dog begins to pull you, Stop! and change Direction! the dog should be willing to follow you, if not gently encourage it come with you, i.e don't tug, snap the lead, shout or get mad. As soon as its following you again it will want to pull you again, Stop! and change Direction! again!. Rinse and Repeat for as long as it takes, eventually the dog will start watching you for cues on how to proceed, and once that is ingrained in the dog it will become a lot easier to control him/her?

Bring some treats with you on the walks for the training exercises, and reward the dog for being good, and try to ignore... or not give it very much attention when it's not obeying, try to make it a game it can win, rather than a lesson to be learned and it should go all that much quicker. As long as you don't mind looking like a weirdo walking in circles for the duration it should work in just 3-5 walks, some dogs will learn faster than others, just be patient and it will come right.

Honestly, you can buy all the harnesses in the world and they won't make that much of a difference, there isn't a magic harness out there that will solve your problem, just like everything else with training a dog to sit, wait, come, heel it takes time and patients. So give this a try and let us know how you get on in a week or two, I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised how easy it is when you have the right technique.

V

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Lambo28

She's a terrier cross. I don't need a non pull harness anymore she's very good at walking now. I just trust the harness more than just the collar. I think it's more comfortable for her aswell.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hi Lambo,
    Is price an issue? Not that these are going to break the bank but they are relatively expensive, the Perfect Fit Harness, or the fleece harness made by the same company, are really comfortable, great quality harnesses.
    The Perfect Fit harness allows you to custom-build a harness that'll fit your dog's dimensions really closely. You can get it with a front connection if you like.
    http://dog-games-shop.co.uk/

Oh.... when you mentioned non-pull harness I kind of assumed that was your question, by all means make your dog as comfortable as possible.

I don't mean to be a git here,but if you plan to totally replace the collar it could land you in hot water,there is a thing where it says all dogs must wear a collar and id tags or face an on the spot fine... so even if you decide to go with a harness, you will probably need to get a soft comfortable collar as well. It doesn't need to be very tight just enough so it can't slip off... hang on a tick and I'll try to find the thing I'm talking about..http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/animal_welfare_and_control/control_of_dogs.html Now a harness may fit the bill fine, I think they just want to see a way to restrain the dog, and not necessarily a collar, or it may not. Just a heads up.

I don't know how serious a Gardi or Dog Warden will take this law, most will probably turn a blind eye to such a minor infraction, but I think it's only fair to warn in advance that something may...or may not happen if you don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Vince32 wrote: »
    Oh.... when you mentioned non-pull harness I kind of assumed that was your question, by all means make your dog as comfortable as possible.

I don't mean to be a git here,but if you plan to totally replace the collar it could land you in hot water,there is a thing where it says all dogs must wear a collar and id tags or face an on the spot fine... so even if you decide to go with a harness, you will probably need to get a soft comfortable collar as well. It doesn't need to be very tight just enough so it can't slip off... hang on a tick and I'll try to find the thing I'm talking about..http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/animal_welfare_and_control/control_of_dogs.html Now a harness may fit the bill fine, I think they just want to see a way to restrain the dog, and not necessarily a collar, or it may not. Just a heads up.

I don't know how serious a Gardi or Dog Warden will take this law, most will probably turn a blind eye to such a minor infraction, but I think it's only fair to warn in advance that something may...or may not happen if you don't.

Or you could just get a little id tube and attach it to the harness. Nice and lightweight rather than a disk.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ancol-Simply-Glamour-Aluminium-Assorted/dp/B003IJ5SVQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_petsupplies_1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Just be careful using a harness only - you're likely not to have the harness on at home so if the dog manages to get out it's ID will be sat at home on the harness! I use a collar basically for ID tags and harness for walking..

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Lambo28

I've got a collar on her 24/7 just looking for more seciurity for when I'm walking her. I'm just paranoid about her getting away ,!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Lambo28 wrote: »
    I've got a collar on her 24/7 just looking for more seciurity for when I'm walking her. I'm just paranoid about her getting away ,!

I'm the same - we've trained our boy not to pull, but the harness is just that bit more security (as he has a long, silky coat and knows if he tugs hard backwards his collar will slip off). He also reacts to other dogs, and I know he's much less likely to hurt himself with the harness on.

Ok great then, maybe something like this? http://www.mollys.ie/red-soft-dog-harness-en.html soft, airy, sturdy.

Advertisement