Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused/Concerned over our cats

• 15-07-2013 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, how's it going? I'm very concerned with my family's cats' safety lately.

OK, to begin. We had three cats (from kittens) up until last month when one (Panther) disappeared. We put out word at our local vets and Animal Welfare locations and had searches for him, but nothing... He's still missing and I've sadly come to terms that he will 99.9% remain that way. :(

It struck me as odd. We've had cats for years in this same location and nothing has ever happened them. So I put it down to a bad accident, or so I imagine it to be. Now I'm not so sure/am concerned...

There was also a stray hanging around with our three and they all got on very well. He was a lovely cat and we would feed him along with the others if he was around (which he regularly was). Last week, he was outside in our garden and I noticed instantly his eye was in an awful way. It was swollen all along the side by his whiskers and he could barely open it/was letting out a clear discharge. I got such a fright and my mam brought him over to the vet about an hour after, when the vet had time to see him. Good news is that the vet took him in and my mam explained how much of a lovely cat he was and he said he would take care of him and once he was healthy, put him up for adoption. I'm chuffed over that, he deserves a loving family/more than what we could give him.

But onto the bad news/cause of concern. Right there, one of the two remaining cats came back with that exact same eye problem. In the exact same eye. He only went out for an hour and came back in that condition. That coupled with Panther's disappearance and the stray getting hurt has me very alarmed. Especially as it's all happening so suddenly/close together.

I'm honestly worried that someone/something is attacking our cats. I'm sorry for the essay, but really wanted to be as thorough as possible! Does anyone have a clue what could be happening? I'm very worried right now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭EireIceMan

Ring the vet and ask him what was the problem with the stray???:confused:
    Poor cat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

He said it was probably tomcats fighting, because he wasn't neutered. But our one is... So that can't be it.

Our vet is closed and all. We've to wait till tomorrow to see what he says now, should I wipe his eye with something damp or anything?

Im in no position to give vet advice, but if it was me and vets were closed id probably try clean it if it was an open wound. I have a bottle of stuff here but its basically fancy salt and water.
    I wouldnt know if you could put human stuff on it.
    How bad is it? Any pics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

EireIceMan wrote: »
    Im in no position to give vet advice, but if it was me and vets were closed id probably try clean it if it was an open wound. I have a bottle of stuff here but its basically fancy salt and water.
    I wouldnt know if you could put human stuff on it.
    How bad is it? Any pics?

I would recommend Hibiscrub (diluted) or cold Camomile tea for cleaning wounds.

Lars1916 wrote: »
    I would recommend Hibiscrub (diluted) or cold Camomile tea for cleaning wounds.

Never heard of that. As i said its some sort of fancy salt and water, but id only use it until i got to vet next morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Perhaps the stray has cat flu (hence the eye) and has spread it to your cat? Sometimes only one eye is affected and the first signs include blinking, holding the eye closed, pinkiness, inflamed eyelid and a clear watery discharge.

Or it may be a scratch from another cat.

Either way, do not bathe the eye in Hibiscrub. Bathing it in cold tea or salty water won't help much between now and the morning, OP, and depending on what's up with the eye, it could do more harm than good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Do not put hibiscrub near eyes!!!
    It's highly irritating to eyes and mucosa and shouldn't be used like that.

You could clean it with sterile saline available from any pharmacy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Also OP, even if your cat is neutered, he may still be confronted with an un-neutered tom and suffer an injury, though in such cases, the retreating cat (yours) would usually suffer a bite wound to one of the hind legs or the tail. Neutering your cat doesn't entirely remove the possibility of him getting into fights with other males.

Advertisement