Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT Internship

Options
  • 15-07-2013 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Is it worth doing an Internship ? Internships have got alot of bad press about expliotation and high precentage not gettin kept on after the 9 months.

I recently completed a fetac IT and wondering if i should go for the internship i have been offered or else persue what im doin in college ??

Im hoping If i took the internship it would give me valubale experience and lead to a paid career. Im looking to hear from people with intern experience or in the IT world for some advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 RealmOfFlames

Which course did you do? Depending on the qualifications, you could either get the experience you need to get into IT or you will be bored off your arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

A buddy of mine got an internship at a Cork IT company as part of his college course... he worked hard and made a good impression,, he left to do his last year of college, but was told to come back as they wanted to take him on but, they advised his to finish his studied first..

Id say take the internship,, you realy have nothing to lose, ok its 9 months, and they might not keep you on but that experience would be invaluable in my opinion to be honest... What exactly do you plan to do if you dont take the internship?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭danish pasterys

It was OS & networks only an academic cert basically an overview of windows, linux active dir, lans wans and all tat which had alot in it. Iv no exp in IT work so kinda egar to see if its for me or not theres two roles available 1) customer support 2) tech problem solving so Id think id be only confident in the customer support role

Currently doing Network Management (cisco).... doing the CompTIA A+ tests in a week or so.... Its only a 16 week full time course with an option of a 13 week internship at the end of it,,,, its a foot in the door man,,,, im gona take what i can get for now,, yeah people will say but you get the same on the dole just sitting at home, which is true, but you dont get the experience and oppertunities that might come with that from drinking royal dutch out the back if ya get me :-P

STEINBERG wrote: »
    A buddy of mine got an internship at a Cork IT company as part of his college course... he worked hard and made a good impression,, he left to do his last year of college, but was told to come back as they wanted to take him on but, they advised his to finish his studied first..

Id say take the internship,, you realy have nothing to lose, ok its 9 months, and they might not keep you on but that experience would be invaluable in my opinion to be honest... What exactly do you plan to do if you dont take the internship?

Well i just completed a fetac level 6 so i have also been offered a place in DIT starting in september for a degree in Networking technology. So I'm wondering what would be better to pursue a degree or take the internship, exp vs degree i guess.. Would an IT company really invest in training an intern if not to keep them on afterwards tho ?

• Advertisement

Currently doing Network Management (cisco).... doing the CompTIA A+ tests in a week or so.... Its only a 16 week full time course with an option of a 13 week internship at the end of it,,,, its a foot in the door man,,,, im gona take what i can get for now,, yeah people will say but you get the same on the dole just sitting at home, which is true, but you dont get the experience and oppertunities that might come with that from drinking royal dutch out the back if ya get me :-P

Haha true that ! I just heard alot of bad feedback I even heard there scraping jobs bridge

that would depend on how good you are with regards soaking up information and learning from the guys that you will be working under..... just because you have a degree does not mean that you can just walk into a company,,, but its a hard decision for yourself for sure man,, will you get the student grant thing and alll that?

that would depend on how good you are with regards soaking up information and learning from the guys that you will be working under..... just because you have a degree does not mean that you can just walk into a company,,, but its a hard decision for yourself for sure man,, will you get the student grant thing and alll that?

Yes i would get the full grant and btea, and I'm 24 and no kids so not much other commitments even tho it will be a pain being broke for 3yrs but rewarding in the end I'm sure. If I knew this internship would lead to employment I would choose it over pursuing college. Decisions decisions

Its a tough one for sure,, Whoever is giving the internship explain to them the situation before taking it,, tell them that you have an oppertunity of getting a degree, but if there is a full time job at the end of the internship then you would love to do it,, Is there a chance of doing the degree after the intership if it doesnt workout...

Its a tough one for sure,, Whoever is giving the internship explain to them the situation before taking it,, tell them that you have an oppertunity of getting a degree, but if there is a full time job at the end of the internship then you would love to do it,, Is there a chance of doing the degree after the intership if it doesnt workout...

Ok thanks for the advice i may say that to him. Yes of course but I'm 24 I wouldn't like to wait another year. But yeah good advice i will run that past him in the interview. Although I don't think he'd actually tell me if his intentions was to just use me for free labour for nine months, well he could be decent

• Advertisement

well at the end of the day,, its your future man, push him on the matter, people always get worried about questions they will be asked in interviews, but i feel its equally important to also think about what questions you should ask to the person interviewing you, afterall you are at the interview because they are interested in you,,, ask them the questions that you have on your mind..... if you want to knbow if there is an opertunity for full time work then ask,,, if they fluff about or try to avoid the question then maybe there just wasting your time

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Go for an interview and see if they can make any accommodation towards your course.

I was laid off from my old job as techie so spent nearly 2 years doing other things besides IT. Decided to go back in and build up my qualifications like the A+, N+, CCNA.

I was doing odd bits of volunteer work and IT teaching in SVP to older folk. Didn't get paid but kept me busy and it looks good on the CV.

While I was doing those I saw a WPP2 job (like the internship except it was before it and there was no extra €50) in the paper for an IT Techie. They gave me time off so I could do my classes and do my course.

Thought it would be handy to get up to date with everything networks, server and support side so I applied for it and got it. I was put on a 9 month contract (I could've left anytime I wanted), worked with just 1 IT Admin and together we both covered over 60 respite centres + special needs schools around the county.

There was no possibility for full-time work. I understood that and wasn't told otherwise by anyone, the organisation (funded by the HSE) was extremely tight for cash and this 1 IT guy was running the show on his own.

Learnt an absolute ton load and got to branch out on things I wouldn't have normally have done like being given the task to build websites for the company and design the new staff ID cards + network database so a select few could create and print these cards off for the staff within the building.

Everyone was incredibly sound in that job, especially the IT Admin, who opened a shìtload of doors for me and I owe a lot to. I had 3 different companies call me up weeks after I finished my contract out of the blue asking to take me on thanks to him recommending me to them.

Experience is absolute key for job interviews. It's one thing having degrees and certs coming out of your arse but if the interviewer doesn't think you have the experience or practical knowledge for the job then you're going to have a hard time landing one.

Take any job you can get, be it an internship or volunteer work. It all adds up and looks good on your CV, as well as building knowledge.

Advertisement