Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ger Loughnane having a pop at John Mulanne

Options
  • 15-07-2013 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Ger Loughnane has hit out at former Waterford star John Mullane accusing him of letting his county down.

Writing in his Irish Daily Star column, the former Clare and Galway manager says the Deise would have beaten Kilkenny in Saturday night’s All-Ireland Phase 3 qualifier if Mullane was on the pitch.
    “If John Mullane was still playing, then Kilkenny’s long reign would have been ended on Saturday and he’d always be remembered,” Loughnane wrote.
    “Instead, he took the easy way out.
    “Waterford were undone by the shortcomings of their forwards. And the main problem with their attack was that they were without John Mullane.
    “He should have given another year to the county. He let Waterford down at the very end. If Waterford had Mullane on Saturday, then I’m certain Kilkenny would have been beaten.
    “No player in a Waterford jersey let the county down on Saturday evening. Rather it was an ex-player who left too soon who was found wanting.

I for one think John Mullane owes Waterford nothing. He was a dedicated hurler and a hero to the people of waterford. Yes we may have bet kilkenny with him on the field on saturday but he has definatly not let us down.

I would love to see him back in a Waterford jersey and if the day ever came where he decides to come back id welcome him with open arms.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

i'm sure a lot of waterford people have said the saem thing including myself but he defo did'nt let waterford down!!! how was he to know when he said he was retiring that we would end up facing kilkenny in the qualifier he aint psychic FFS!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Deise67

Agree 100% man owes nothing to Waterford. Gave it all when he played as the previous poster said how was he to know the way the championship would pan out ! Yes he would have made a difference I'd say if he could have togged out he would hav by the look on his face ! As a bye the way congrats to the team for the spirted way they played ! Would have been fantastic to beat kk but it wasn't to be !

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Eaglebridie 32

Kk fan myself, have to say Loughnane is correct that had JM been involved, Waterford would indeed have won. Totally incorrect to say that he let Waterford down, very unfair, gave his all for many years, so unfair no AI medal to show for all his efforts.
    One of the "all time greats" in my IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

I posted this in the gaa thread for 2012/13 season but here it is again
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056362456&page=603

Eamonn Dunphy school of journalism, the more controversial the better. If John Mullanne feels he can and wants to play then great. If he can' that's his choice, what are we to force someone to do something and then ostracize if they feel its not right for them. I think there is a serious lack of insight in tot he mental in this country and pressure being viewed as 'grand' until someone snaps. I'm not saying this about Mullanne but rather Loughnane's approach is so ignorant and arrogant its ridiculous. I've heard of people becoming slaves to their passion but why would you want to be a slave to someone elses?

Mullane is trying to do something other than play hurling and all the best to him everyone needs to do what is right for them. If Mullanne comes back we'll welcome him with open arms and if not then he'll remain one of our greatest players... I don't know one person in Waterford that didn't want him on the pitch but respected his decision. Loughnane can go #### himself, smell the coffee and realise there's more out there than what he built his life around.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 MinisterJD

Who even knew Loughnane wrote for the star??If you want to read accurate analysis of GAA -the examiner is the pinnacle.
    Just being controversial to increase awareness of his column -Typical Tabloid Gutter Press.

Do you think he would say that to Mullane if they were both guests on Championship Matters??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

Baby4 wrote: »
    I think there is a general perception that John Mullane only retired because he did not have any faith in the choice of Michael Ryan as manager. The man should never have been made manager of the Deise hurlers in my opinion. Apparently a lot of the current players have little faith in him as a manager..

I suppose Loughnane's opinion comes from the point of view that John retired too early due to his not wanting to be part of Ryan's squad. It's also a widely held opinion that Eoin Kelly retired for the same reason.

I do think John gave a great service to his county, both on & off the field (he has done some great couching etc with underage players), and I'm sure he will be a great ambassador for the sport in the future, but I have to agree with Ger Loughnane somewhat...

Who would be the manager of Waterford if you had your way so? Michael Ryan has done a serious job with that team considering all that has happened in the last 2 years. Since he took over he has lost 3 All Stars in Mullane, Molumphy & Kelly. He has lost last years championship's standout corner back in Daniels, lost our most important forward Shane Walsh for nearly all of this years season. He has had to deal with a lot & yet he has kept the hurlers competitive. Give the man a break for Christ sake. Can you name another manager who would have done a job half as good as Michael Ryan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

Baby4 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

What bull****.
    Reality is that Daly, Cody, etc would not coach Waterford as their is too little funds available for team preparation. All the money was used up by Davy Fitz.
    Under Ryan not everything has gone to plan but he is bringing through good young players and has us playing a much better style of hurling than we were under Davy Fitz. We are making progress under him and will be back as a force again soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'm not a big hurling fan but any idiot can surely see that John Mullane didn't let anyone down. He has played for I assume over a decade and even his biggest critic would surely concede how much it all means to him and he then decided to call it a day. For whatever reason he decided to retire is his own business.

If he dragged a Roy Keane Saipan type walk out or went off playing for someone else I could possibly see him point but seeing the facts as I read them this guy is a moron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I love me county, i'd never waterford doun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

Motivator wrote: »
    Who would be the manager of Waterford if you had your way so? Michael Ryan has done a serious job with that team considering all that has happened in the last 2 years. Since he took over he has lost 3 All Stars in Mullane, Molumphy & Kelly. He has lost last years championship's standout corner back in Daniels, lost our most important forward Shane Walsh for nearly all of this years season. He has had to deal with a lot & yet he has kept the hurlers competitive. Give the man a break for Christ sake. Can you name another manager who would have done a job half as good as Michael Ryan?
    mollumphy is an officer in the army and is prob unable to dedicate himself to hurling because of his duties with the army as he prob oversea's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

mollumphy is an officer in the army and is prob unable to dedicate himself to hurling because of his duties with the army as he prob oversea's

Yep. He's in Chad I think right now. Should be back next year and I cant wait.

Would have loved to see him playing on Sunday but he owes Waterford nothing. I tend to agree with Loughnane when he said we could have won on Sunday if we had him though.

Hopefully he might come back next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

moose3844 wrote: »
    Ger Loughnane has hit out at former Waterford star John Mullane accusing him of letting his county down.

Writing in his Irish Daily Star column, the former Clare and Galway manager says the Deise would have beaten Kilkenny in Saturday night’s All-Ireland Phase 3 qualifier if Mullane was on the pitch.
    “If John Mullane was still playing, then Kilkenny’s long reign would have been ended on Saturday and he’d always be remembered,” Loughnane wrote.
    “Instead, he took the easy way out.
    “Waterford were undone by the shortcomings of their forwards. And the main problem with their attack was that they were without John Mullane.
    “He should have given another year to the county. He let Waterford down at the very end. If Waterford had Mullane on Saturday, then I’m certain Kilkenny would have been beaten.
    “No player in a Waterford jersey let the county down on Saturday evening. Rather it was an ex-player who left too soon who was found wanting.

I for one think John Mullane owes Waterford nothing. He was a dedicated hurler and a hero to the people of waterford. Yes we may have bet kilkenny with him on the field on saturday but he has definatly not let us down.

I would love to see him back in a Waterford jersey and if the day ever came where he decides to come back id welcome him with open arms.

I say this as a Cork supporter with Waterford bood in him and a Cork supporter who shouts for Waterford when their not playing Cork.Ger Loughnane is an arsehole.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

ziedth wrote: »
    I'm not a big hurling fan but any idiot can surely see that John Mullane didn't let anyone down. He has played for I assume over a decade and even his biggest critic would surely concede how much it all means to him and he then decided to call it a day. For whatever reason he decided to retire is his own business.

If he dragged a Roy Keane Saipan type walk out or went off playing for someone else I could possibly see him point but seeing the facts as I read them this guy is a moron.

Yeah your bang on for the most part but leave Roy Keane out of it.The last thing you'd want is for me to break into an anti FAI/Mick McCarthy rant.:pac:

Advertisement