Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny Tri Olympic Standard 10.2k run

Options
  • 15-07-2013 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi

Would anyone have any information on the above route? My sister is doing it and she's doing my head in eek.png She would like to know what type of a course it is - flat, hilly etc etc

Many thanks, any information at all would be great :rolleyes:

Boboloo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Mod: Thread moved to your neck of the woods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

ecoli wrote: »
    Mod: Thread moved to your neck of the woods

Mods, can we sent them over a thread all about which athlete's are doping? Fair's fair;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Mostly flat, hard trail and path run in a first. Nice course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

Nice run through the castle grounds, mostly flat, bike is undulating but nice...its a great event, my 3rd time down there this year

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

Hold on there now kids!

Finish the swim, get out and start doubling back up the river along side a big wall then a load of steps before getting up onto the demesne, its a decent 400m run I reckon to your bike. Then get your bike and out on the road it'll get full of grass clippings around you're brakes but don't worry. 2 laps I think then on the bike. Then the run around through the castle grounds on grass, head down by the river, beside the river up to a turn around, I remember water stations being out of water here in the past, back around and slight drag on the road and up toward the gate into the grounds. Nothing too taxing, relatively flat, small incline at the grassy area.

Its a great course, well ran, needs extra water if things are hot this year, great goody bag, very very friendly organisers. Found the river cold oddly!

By the time the tri is over, Kilkenny has fully woken up and the majority of the city would never have know that there was an set of tri's on there!!

• Advertisement

Bike was an out and back last year, same course for this year

Did it a couple years ago, going again this year, looking forward to it.

Really lookin forward to it, its my A race this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Only doing the sprint this year, but I've done the olympic distance in the past. The bike has indeed changed in the last few years. Nice race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Isn't this race partly on the dark side ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Isn't this race partly on the dark side ?

It was but I believe it is no longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭speedyj

Yes my understanding is that if it's listed on the TI calendar then it's a sanctioned TI event.

I did the sprint last year, enjoyable event. Only minus was no AG awards/classification whatsoever.

speedyj wrote: »
    Yes my understanding is that if it's listed on the TI calendar then it's a sanctioned TI event.

I did the sprint last year, enjoyable event. Only minus was no AG awards/classification whatsoever.

I thought the organisation was awful.

1. Off of the water the path was not clear and the public were getting in the way of people coming out.

2. There were 3 marshalls in transition for about 900 odd people. Its wasn't secure at all and people were constantly in and out of it.

3. No information or announcments in transition at all.

4. Bike course was badly marshalled and dangerous in parts. They had a funnel system at roundabouts for bikes, cars were going ito this and this was causing some close shaves with bikes. The turn around was in the middle of a main rd with no signs warning motorists and they were approaching it at high speeds.

I spoke to one of the main TI guys at Lost Sheep who was in Kilkenny and he said.........they have a lot of work to do for next year. I'd know him from Athy and he asked me to mail him with my thoughts on Kilkenny so fingers crossed the race improves for all who race !

I only did the bike relay on the day as a favour for someone. I had lots of time to stand around and look at the event and organisation. It seemed they spent more time on making sure masterchef were happy than they did on the above points i mentioned.

I don't know if you needed race licence last year as i said i was a member of a relay team late in the day and i assumed they sorted all that ( i had my race licence anyway )

Oh and i won't be doing it this year, i'm racing elsewhere this year on July 27th and honestly i won't be doing Kilkenny until i hear that its solved a lot of the problems above.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 boboloo

Thanks to all who posted their comments. It makes for very interesting reading. Hope all goes well for the participants. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

I did it 2 years ago, so it's possible things have changed. The run from the swim to T1 is very long, close to 800m and includes a lot of steps upwards.

The run course is pretty flat, mostly off-road, but a little twisty-turny. It was a hot day 2 years ago and all the water was gone on the run course.

The setting for the race and T1/T2 is lovely in the castle but there was a big shortage of toilets and there were long queues to check your bike in to transition.

And the god-awful 150 decibel music blaring at the finish line was a travesty. Would races please stop blasting us with hours and hours of noise, especially around the finish line and transition? Some music at background level is cool, but for families who wait for hours, and for exhausted triathletes at the end, that noise is not helpful.

Beast of the East yesterday had a very reasonable volume most of the time, they did it pretty much right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

In for the sprint in this myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Bambaata wrote: »

We have a winner :D

Doing the sprint as well, be sure to say hello,
    Just look for the bike with the same name ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

Winner for sure - although a couple of KK tri club going to be giving you a run for it. In for the Oly myself, Bambaata you left us for dead in Rosslare :(

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Must have my camera out for your dismount this time. :p

handangeo wrote: »
    Winner for sure - although a couple of KK tri club going to be giving you a run for it. In for the Oly myself, Bambaata you left us for dead in Rosslare :(

I'll be going to do my best, right now i cant walk without a limp! Damn 3min hard reps running yesterday have destroyed me!

I had a good bike day in Rosslare, i dont know if ill have those legs with me but we'll see! Fortunately the swim sits me being downstream but ive noticed its a race a few juniors generally do and these juniors now coming through are class acts!!

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    Must have my camera out for your dismount this time. :p
    Are you doing it?

Looks like rain and lots of it for Sat!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Are you doing it?
    Nope Ill be one of the TO's. So no nudity in transition, please! :P

Oh oh i look forward to liveline on monday:D

I cant make such promises!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Bah im in wave 13, that means 3hrs of waiting around after registration. Transition not reopening kinda sucks

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

adamski8 wrote: »
    Bah im in wave 13, that means 3hrs of waiting around after registration. Transition not reopening kinda sucks

Where did you get wave detail, I couldn't find any details?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

boodiebhoy wrote: »
    Where did you get wave detail, I couldn't find any details?

From an email sent out around midnight

Wave 2 for me

• Advertisement

Wave 16 here! Much prefer mass starts as at least that way you have an idea of where you lie in the race

Advertisement