Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny Tri Olympic Standard 10.2k run

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

In order to scope out who is racing ive taken the pdf and put it into an excel. Ive attached it if anyone wants a look. I wasnt all that careful so i could have deleted a few here and there by accident but i notice the sprint race is bleedin' massive!! Hoping there's more than just a prize for 1st place!!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

Wave 4 for me, however being local for once does have its advantages. A small lie in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

That's huge. Back in 2010 the sprint had 251 (I checked this yesterday). Wave 11 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Who runs/owns kilkenny tri?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Who runs/owns kilkenny tri?

http://trigrandprix.com/team/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Long shot here I know, but the short of it is that I got a sudden urge to do this triathalon (sprint or super sprint) at a late stage. Reasonably fit from plenty of cycling, a bit of running, and I can manage a good few lengths in comfort. Managed to borrow a wetsuit the other day and all. Would be my first tri experience.
    Anyway of course I left it too late to enter. If anybody has an entry for sprint or super sprint which they are unable to use at short notice, I would be grateful if you could PM me. I would of course re-imburse entry fee etc.
    Thanks in advance (said he optimistically).

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

I'm interested to see more experienced racers opinions on this race. I thought it was on the do not mention list?
    I've only completed 2 tri's Kilkenny in 2010 and 11 and I'm going to be doing the sprint tomorrow.

From my very limited experience it seems to be terribly organised.

Almost complete lack of information from the organisers.
    Very early registration.
    Only drink and fruit at the finish and a water station only at 1.5k on the run.
    Prizes just for category firsts.
    7 toilets for 1400 entrants.
    The only way I found out what time my wave is at, was by checking the website today.

As I say I've not experienced other tri's so I may be wrong about these things being unusual?

I'm interested to see more experienced racers opinions on this race. I thought it was on the do not mention list?
    I've only completed 2 tri's Kilkenny in 2010 and 11 and I'm going to be doing the sprint tomorrow.

From my very limited experience it seems to be terribly organised.
    Havent done it, but Ive done others, and like the western you get the good, the bad, and the ugly.
    Almost complete lack of information from the organisers.
    TI request that entrants be contacted regularly by email, web updates etc
    Very early registration.
    Normal for such a big race. Abroad they are usually even earlier.
    Only drink and fruit at the finish and a water station only at 1.5k on the run.
    For that distance they arent expected to do much more, hopefully the organisers will have the water more strategically placed.
    Prizes just for category firsts.
    Normal. Only NS races have fixed prize categories.
    7 toilets for 1400 entrants.
    No excuse for that but bad planning.
    The only way I found out what time my wave is at, was by checking the website today.
    Generally organisers communicate better than that, but I've had a few where you tear your hair out looking for info. Even athy this year, which is usually pretty good, info was sketchy until quite close to the race.

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    Long shot here I know, but the short of it is that I got a sudden urge to do this triathalon (sprint or super sprint) at a late stage. Reasonably fit from plenty of cycling, a bit of running, and I can manage a good few lengths in comfort. Managed to borrow a wetsuit the other day and all. Would be my first tri experience.
    Anyway of course I left it too late to enter. If anybody has an entry for sprint or super sprint which they are unable to use at short notice, I would be grateful if you could PM me. I would of course re-imburse entry fee etc.
    Thanks in advance (said he optimistically).

Didn't do this today, but wandered down with the kids to check out the atmosphere. Looked like a blast to me, good crowd, atmosphere etc and made me determined to get in gear for next year.

Met Leo Varadker at the finish, and got a pic of the kids & him (starstruck by a politician! - honestly I don't usually do this type of thing); anyway a proper gent, and must be fit too, as he was cool as a cucumber at the end, unlike most other finishers (must stalk his finishing time later).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

Great race again today, couldnt fault it, great crowd and atmosphere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Didn't do this today, but wandered down with the kids to check out the atmosphere. Looked like a blast to me, good crowd, atmosphere etc and made me determined to get in gear for next year.

Met Leo Varadker at the finish, and got a pic of the kids & him (starstruck by a politician! - honestly I don't usually do this type of thing); anyway a proper gent, and must be fit too, as he was cool as a cucumber at the end, unlike most other finishers (must stalk his finishing time later).

Did you miss Roz Purcell and Bressie?
    Might have made for a better picture?

Ceepo wrote: »
    We have a winner

As i predicted lol.

Congrats man. Great result.

Did you miss Roz Purcell and Bressie?
    Might have made for a better picture?

Missus is a big Leo fan and would actually prefer his photo to bressies believe it or not. Now as for Roz....

Missus is a big Leo fan and would actually prefer his photo to bressies believe it or not. Now as for Roz....

Thats sad on a lot of levels lol.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

he did athy too, think i beat him by about 14 minutes or so

was 16 actually, 1:18 versus 1:34.

will be interesting to see if he was quicker here, presume he was doing the sprint?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Vizzy

He did the sprint in 1.53.36

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Vizzy wrote: »
    He did the sprint in 1.53.36

Getting slower. Obviouly letting himself go while the dail is on summer holidays.

Typing this on my phone, funny how dail autocorrects to fail:)

Good day out. Its a longer than usual sprint hence the times dont really compare, bike is 4k long and the transitions is pretty huge with a significant run from river to T1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Bambaata wrote: »
    Good day out. Its a longer than usual sprint hence the times dont really compare, bike is 4k long and the transitions is pretty huge with a significant run from river to T1

It was a fair hike up to transition alright and slippery aswell. :eek:

Well done on another win Bambaata. Looks easy when you do it.

Apparently I met bressie today. Pity I didn't know who he was....

• Advertisement

Thanks Oryx. Pity i didnt bump into you after. Thanks for the kind words ;-) I can assure you it doesn't feel easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Oryx wrote: »
    Well done on another win Bambaata. Looks easy when you do it.

Apparently I met bressie today. Pity I didn't know who he was....

He ain't a patch on Elvis:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

Well done Bambatta - I knew Mr Molloy would be pushing you close....and Oryx sorry once again for nearly decapitating you when I entered T2 :)

handangeo wrote: »
    Well done Bambatta - I knew Mr Molloy would be pushing you close....and Oryx sorry once again for nearly decapitating you when I entered T2 :)
    Not your fault, I should have been watching my back. ;)

Good to see you even if it was only fleeting!

Not your fault, I should have been watching my back. ;)

Good to see you even if it was only fleeting!

Oryx, you looked half asleep when I coming out of transition lol.

On a different point. Does anyone know if they gave out 2nd and 3rd place prizes. Not that I would be getting one or anything lol

I probably was.
    On a different point. Does anyone know if they gave out 2nd and 3rd place prizes. Not that I would be getting one or anything lol
    From their info pack:
    7.0 Prizes and Prize Money:
    We are delighted to have the support this year of Turas Bikes, Ballinasloe, County
    Galway.
    Olympic Distance Female: 500 Euro Turas Voucher
    Olympic Distance Male: 500 Euro Turas Voucher
    Olympic Distance Relay: 200 Euro Turas Voucher
    Sprint Distance Female: 400 Euro Turas Voucher
    Sprint Distance Male: 400 Euro Turas Voucher
    Sprint Distance Relay: 200 Euro Turas Voucher
    Super Sprint Distance (including Corporate Challenge) Female: 200 Euro Turas Voucher
    Super Sprint Distance (including Corporate Challenge) Male: 200 Euro Turas Voucher
    Super Sprint Distance (including Corporate Challenge) Relay: 100 Euro Turas Voucher
    ChooseToTri Overall: Springhill Court Hotel Weekend Voucher or one year gym
    membership.

I probably was.

From their info pack:
    Thanks. I had seen that.
    Just woundered if the gave them out on the day.
    Seen as the are "serious about athlete care"

• Registered Users Posts: 32 thebestone

No they didnt even give a plastic medal to second or third place. nothing. Surely the sponsored prizes could be divided ( or the the race organizer donate prizes as is usual practice in any competition??)

thebestone wrote: »
    No they didnt even give a plastic medal to second or third place. nothing. Surely the sponsored prizes could be divided ( or the the race organizer donate prizes as is usual practice in any competition??)
    Thanks for that. But it was as I expected. I know someone who finished top 3 who sent them and email.re prizes and they hadn't the courtesy to reply.
    This race has a lot of good points nice swim; nice setting but I will not be back to do it again and will be telling others not to do it. That maybe not be much of a disappointment to the organisers but hey, there you go.
    Approx 1400 entries even at the lower price of 50e is e70k if the can't see there way to give a prize to the Top 3 well Fvck them.

Serious about athlete care my Bollo#.
    Serious about getting as much money as possible.

This is not to take away from Kilkenny
    Tri Club as they are only helping out. but that said as the host Club maybe next year they could suggest that Grand Prix at least be serious about the athletes as there mantra says

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 thebestone

Thanks for that. But it was as I expected. I know someone who finished top 3 who sent them and email.re prizes and they hadn't the courtesy to reply.
    This race has a lot of good points nice swim; nice setting but I will not be back to do it again and will be telling others not to do it. That maybe not be much of a disappointment to the organisers but hey, there you go.
    Approx 1400 entries even at the lower price of 50e is e70k if the can't see there way to give a prize to the Top 3 well Fvck them.

Serious about athlete care my Bollo#.
    Serious about getting as much money as possible.

This is not to take away from Kilkenny
    Tri Club as they are only helping out. but that said as the host Club maybe next year they could suggest that Grand Prix at least be serious about the athletes as there mantra says
    Yes thats exactly true. Still waiting on my email reply regarding prizes for 2nd/3rd overall placing. Great race but who is the winner?!

Advertisement