Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need my own place

Options
  • 15-07-2013 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi i need a bit of advise on getting my own place
    IM 23 living with my folks and i want to move out. IM on stoical well fare and I can rent allowance. I AM also on the housing list but cant wait that long Any advise will do
    And please do not post get a job etc.
    I cant work due my anxiety dissorder

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

dmcm_90 wrote: »
    IM 23 living with my folks and i want to move out. IM on stoical well fare and I can rent allowance. Any advise will do

You need to be privately renting on your own for 6 months and be accepted on to your local authority housing list

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dmcm_90

Gatling wrote: »
    You need to be privately renting on your own for 6 months and be accepted on to your local authority housing list

Im on the list a year and im sick waiting

Minimum 6-8 year wait that's for the most in need is families ,single parents ,people with disability and at the bottom single men /women

Minimum 6-8 year wait that's for the most in need is families ,single parents ,people with disability and at the bottom single men /women
    thats to long any other ideas

thats to long any other ideas

Job ,morgage ,house ,

Lotto win ,

Not a lot you can actually do except wait

• Advertisement

Job ,morgage ,house ,

Lotto win ,

Not a lot you can actually do except wait
    What about privet

What about privet

You need to rent on your own for 6 months before you even apply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

What about privet

Nice hedges you should rent a house with them :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I've been on the waiting list since 1996....so a year is nothing. A single man is bottom of the totem pole....you'll wait 20 years and never get a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

IM 23 living with my folks and i want to move out. IM on stoical well fare and I can rent allowance. I AM also on the housing list but cant wait that long Any advise will do

Keep looking for a job, then you can afford to move out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I've been on the waiting list since 1996....so a year is nothing. A single man is bottom of the totem pole....you'll wait 20 years and never get a place.

I was told that as soon as you apply for social housing you are on the list and cannot be lowered down the list to accommodate anyone. Skipping the que i thought was not done in this regard ?.

zenno wrote: »
    I was told that as soon as you apply for social housing you are on the list and cannot be lowered down the list to accommodate anyone. Skipping the que i thought was not done in this regard ?.

Yes you can your housed based on need ,
    So every one who has a bigger need than you gets placed above you and you languish at the bottom of the list till they decide single people take priority

Single women with kids get priority, people with a disability, couples with kids....single men are the lowest priority. Even single women are higher up...the list is conducted as a matter of those most in need or at risk, alas not by your place on the list.

So every one who has a bigger need than you gets placed above you and you languish at the bottom of the list till they decide single people take priority

But wouldn't that be discrimination ? if it was the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

You are the same as any single woman or man but once the man or woman get married or a woman has a child their need increases and they get priority over you.

OP you should contact your local community welfare office about the rent allowance as they do have some discretion in allowing rent supplement to those who are not renting for the required 6 months, depending on your circumstances you may get it immediately.

There is little to no stock of single person properties that are owned/built by the council. Those that do exist are occupied....enter RAS.

But wouldn't that be discrimination ? if it was the case.

Not really some people have greater need to be housed

Not really some people have greater need to be housed

Ok, I see. I was just curious as my friend is wating 7 years and thinks he will get something soon as he is single, so he won't be happy to hear this :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

OP you just wont be able to afford your own place on social welfare. If you want to move out look for a house share or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

That's it in a nutshell ... when you register looking for housing , you should also get a housing needs assessment done, effectively what Gatling is saying here is that a young single man is bottom of the list.

You could register as homeless , but you risk whatever welfare payment you're on if you don't appear somewhere in some sort of homeless hostel .

• Advertisement

Ok, I see. I was just curious as my friend is wating 7 years and thinks he will get something soon as he is single, so he won't be happy to hear this :D

As Richard dowler said he's waiting 10 years

I've heard single blokes 15 years waiting

17 years....and i was told not days ago that it was hopeless, zero stock available. You have men in their mid 50's living in them....sure they'll be around for another 30 years before they croak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

ted1 wrote: »
    Keep looking for a job, then you can afford to move out

Is it an unwritten rule on boards that every time an unemployed person asks for advice, you get some smug Get On Your Bike tyoe reply about finding a job?

anncoates wrote: »
    Is it an unwritten rule on boards that every time an unemployed person asks for advice, you get some smug Get On Your Bike tyoe reply about finding a job?

Pretty sure its written into the forum rules.......;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The OP started by stating that they "want" to move out. I want to have a holiday, to have a house by the sea, to have a new-er car, but despite working all my adult life I can't afford to do any of these. It's not surprising that people react to posters like the OP looking for life improvements from our taxes.

Well in this case, The council should just have a paragraph saying...If you are single you need-not apply, 15 - 20 years waiting, may as well not bother.

athtrasna wrote: »
    The OP started by stating that they "want" to move out. I want to have a holiday, to have a house by the sea, to have a new-er car, but despite working all my adult life I can't afford to do any of these. It's not surprising that people react to posters like the OP looking for life improvements from our taxes.

What a very disgruntled person you are.

I belive the term "us taxpayers" is also part of the forum charter.......:P

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The poster is being told it'll take years to get one, you could find a job in less time. Did the OP ask about getting a job on the work forum? Or did he jump straight to expecting the state to provide one. I am simply stating that th best way to get a home is to get a job.

• Advertisement

Well in this case, The council should just have a paragraph saying...If you are single you need-not apply, 15 - 20 years waiting, may as well not bother.

That would be written discrimination, that would be illegal under EU law...whereas saying its based on need when it *is* in fact discrimination against single people gets them off the hook.

RAS even admitted to me the system is biased against single men.

Advertisement