Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need my own place

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I can see this turning into a dole-bashing thread or similar. Time to hit the road that-away
    >

Good luck OP in finding a place, best of luck ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

athtrasna wrote: »
    The OP started by stating that they "want" to move out. I want to have a holiday, to have a house by the sea, to have a new-er car, but despite working all my adult life I can't afford to do any of these. It's not surprising that people react to posters like the OP looking for life improvements from our taxes.

Maybe I'm mistaken then.

Maybe a moderator can confirm if it's OK or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

Get a job and a mortgage and stop relying off the state.
    Like the majority of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

anncoates wrote: »
    Maybe I'm mistaken then.

Maybe a moderator can confirm if it's OK or not.

The OP started with
    "Hi i need a bit of advise on getting my own place"
    And is being advised as to the best way to get one. If you feel given good advice is being smug then I feel sorry for you.

Get a job and a mortgage and stop relying off the state.
    Like the majority if people.

Like the majority if people ? If people what ?

The lad asks a simple question, and disgruntled folk pop in to talk crap :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

zenno wrote: »
    What a very disgruntled person you are.

If you disagree with what someone else posts- refute the post, without attacking the poster. I'd also advise reading the forum charter- its got other rules, for your, and other poster's, benefit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I can see this turning into a dole-bashing thread or similar. Time to hit the road that-away
    >

Good luck OP in finding a place, best of luck ;)

You're right there.

People- if you have actual advice for the OP- feel free to impart it.
    If you want to bash social welfare recipients- take it elsewhere.
    Don't even think about it.
    You have been warned.

Yeah, I slipped up on that one... attack the post, not the poster. My apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dmcm_90

Ok thanks for the advise. I was put straight on to the list due to my anxiety dissorder. They dident even send any one out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

A year waiting is nothing. If you're a single guy, you'll be waiting a LONG time for a council place; as someone else pointed out, there's very little stock of one-bed apartments.

If you have any medical conditions, you can ask your doctor for a letter stating your medical history and conditions and submit that to the council and they will probably put you on a priority list, depending on what's wrong with you.

I doubt if anxiety would be classed as a disability though.

• Advertisement

My doc gave me letter explaing it and with no questions asked ibgot put straight onto it

It's not getting on the list that's the problem, it's the waiting.
    The majority of people in need of social housing will be accepted onto the list, but you will be waiting a long time....years and years.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

dmcm_90 wrote: »
    My doc gave me letter explaing it and with no questions asked ibgot put straight onto it

Your needs are reviewed on a yearly basis ,
    Again been a single bloke means you have next to no chance of been housed in the next 10+ years sad to say it

Gatling wrote: »
    Your needs a reviewed on a yearly basis ,
    Again been a single bloke means you have next to no chance of been housed in the next 10+ years sad to say it
    Say if I could pay 6months rent on a privet property. How would i got about getting rent allowence. (Id have to borrow )

You would then visit your local Community Welfare Officer to apply for Rent Allowance, bringing proof of your private renting.
    I'm sure others here can advise you more on the procedure regarding applying for RA as it's been some time since I first applied.

Basicly you have to rent an apartment and including paying your own deposit for 6 months ,then apply for rent assistance through your community welfare officer they will ask you to prove your housing need has been accessed and proved your in need of housing ,if that all go's to plan you then have to find a landlord that accepts rent allowance not as easy as it sounds ,
    Been a single bloke you could be only be entitled to around 300e pm to which you have to pay something towards yourself ,

My understanding on this is..... Once you have received the letter from the council stating that your application was successful for housing and are on the housing list, then you can automatically receive rent allowance from the welfare office. (correct me if i am wrong, but i think this is the case).

And you do not need to pay 6 months rent yourself. I'm sure this is the case,but again, feel free to correct me if this is not the case nowadays.

It seems this is the case indeed...

Getting Rent Supplement

Rent Supplement will only be provided if the accommodation is suitable for your needs and the rent is below the maximum rent limit set for your county (see ‘Rates’ below for the current limits).

You may get Rent Supplement if you have been living for 6 months (183 days) out of the last 12 months in one, or a combination, of the following:

Accommodation for homeless people.
    Private rented accommodation. You can combine time living in more than one rented accommodation to satisfy the 6 months (183 days). You must be able to show that you could afford the rent at the beginning of your tenancy and that you could have continued to pay rent but are unable to do so because of a change in your circumstances which occurred after you started renting.
    An institution, for example, a hospital, care home or place of detention.

Or
    Have been assessed by a local authority as being eligible for and in need of social housing in the last 12 months. If you don't have a housing need assessment, you must go to the local authority to have your housing need assessed.
    The local authority must be in the area that you intend to live and claim Rent Supplement. Only when you are assessed as eligible for and in need of housing can you apply for Rent Supplement.

Source: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

You do have to rent by yourself for 6 months and then housing need be acessed this is how it now works ,remember you don't just put your name down and that's it ,the. Housings lists go through yearly reviews and you can be removed from the list if they feel you don't have an actual housing need

You do have to rent by yourself for 6 months and then housing need be acessed this is how it now works ,remember you don't just put your name down and that's it ,the. Housings lists go through yearly reviews and you can be removed from the list if they feel you don't have an actual housing need

My doc and physiologist wrote a letter telling the counsel I am inI need of housing

• Advertisement

When you fill out the forms for social housing and send them in, you then have to wait some time, and then when you get the letter back from the council it will state..... Or not, on approval.

Dear Mr/Mrs so & so.

I refer to your application for housing accommodation with said area location...

In this regard I wish to advise your application for housing has been approved.

If you received this letter from the council, then my understanding is that you are eligible for rent allowance. To me, this seems to be the case, but i will leave it for proper analysis from someone that knows the real deal.

When you fill out the forms for social housing and send them in, you then have to wait some time, and then when you get the letter back from the council it will state..... Or not, on approval.

Dear Mr/Mrs so & so.

I refer to your application for housing accommodation with said area location...

In this regard I wish to advise your application for housing has been approved.

If you received this letter from the council, then my understanding is that you are eligible for rent allowance. To me, this seems to be the case, but i will leave it for proper analysis from someone that knows the real deal.
    I got the approved letter. I tpught I heard some one sayying if your on the list you can get ra with out the 6 months wait time

dmcm_90 wrote: »
    I got the approved letter. I tpught I heard some one sayying if your on the list you can get ra with out the 6 months wait time

In my opinion this is correct.

I would suggest that you contact the citizens advice bureau for full information on you're needs.

By phoning the Citizens Information Phone Service on 0761 07 4000, Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm, or by visiting your local Citizens Information Centre.

Have a chat with them and they will be glad to help.

@ Gatling
    You do have to rent by yourself for 6 months and then housing need be acessed

The OP has already been assessed, regarding his/her comment, and has been approved, so i'm sure rent allowance is valid.

In my opinion this is correct.

I would suggest that you contact the citizens advice bureau for full information on you're needs.

By phoning the Citizens Information Phone Service on 0761 07 4000, Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm, or by visiting your local Citizens Information Centre.

Have a chat with them and they will be glad to help.
    Thanks fo

@ Gatling

The OP has already been assessed, regarding his/her comment, and has been approved, so i'm sure rent allowance is valid.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭livemusic4life

But wouldn't that be discrimination ? if it was the case.

its not discrimination. If you go to a hospital with a suspected broken finger and someone else comes in after you with a suspected heart attack, they'll be seen first. Same with housing. Its more expensive for a family to rent a three bed house than it is for a single person to rent a bedsit. Families get priority, along with physically disabled people and the elderly. Only way to get housed quicker is to have a joint application with someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

There were changes to the system a number of years ago to prevent single men from being on the list indefinitely. The weighting system now takes into account of length of time on the list. This means somebody can start on the list a head of you but people don't jump above you on the list. It was brought about due to the system being discriminatory. Not sure if it was an EU ruling but it was changed. However the stock of housing for families is greater so suitable accommodation may not be available for single people for a while too.

Stories of people on the list for so many years should become history. So yes there are people who waited a long time but that should disappear over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, if something has changed since you were last assessed that makes living at home more difficult, then get your doctor and psychologist to write to the council again.

When you applied to the council, did you say that you are willing to accept voluntary housing? If not, then contact the council and tell them that you are willing to. Then contact the housing associations which have houses in your area, just to enquire if they have anything coming up. (Technically they take from the council list, but sometimes an enquiry kind of helps move things along.)

Are you getting any assistance from any mental health support organisations? Perhaps they might have some suggestions, or be able to suggest some respite care options for you - effectively where you have a holiday somewhere for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I would also like to add regarding Rent Allowance, that different CWOs will require you to meet different criteria - some are more lenient than others. My last dealings with one in Dundalk demanded that I be on the Housing List, and had to prove I was renting privately for 6 months. Some will let you away with one or the other, some require both.

THEN you need to find a house under the limit for your area, which is reeeeeeeeally low for single people. The landlord also needs to be willing to accept rent allowance, which quite a few are not. You will also need to contribute weekly to the rent. I think it's €35 per week. When you have found the house, paid the deposit, rented for 6 months and have all the documentation as proof, you can apply to the CWO for rent allowance. They will come out and do a surprise inspection of the house, which you obviously have to be present for or else your claim is delayed. After that, you have to wait for an approval.

As posted directly above doesn't matter if your on the list already or not you have to rent on your own for 6 months before you can apply for rent allowance ,
    Its even stated on the new rent allowence review form

• Advertisement
Advertisement