Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

open water googles - clear or polarised?

Options
  • 15-07-2013 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

I was looking for a new set of googles for the Bray Aquathon and the Dun Laoghaire Tri this week. Torn between the Aqua Sphere Clear Vista Goggles and the Zoggs Polarised googles.

I am keener on the big clear ones cos I can use all the help possible with my sighting. But is glare going to be an issue with the clear ones? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

I was looking for a new set of googles for the Bray Aquathon and the Dun Laoghaire Tri this week. Torn between the Aqua Sphere Clear Vista Goggles and the Zoggs Polarised googles.

I am keener on the big clear ones cos I can use all the help possible with my sighting. But is glare going to be an issue with the clear ones? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

You need to buy both types to be honest, and wear whichever one suits the conditions. No one goggle will suit swimming into the sun and a murky dull choppy day.

(I've six different pairs now, clear, shaded, mirrored, even more shaded, swedish... the swim kit just keeps on growing;))

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Just get cheap Swedish ones. 10 Euro and you can have five different colours. All faster than aqua spheres

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Those Swedish ones just did not suit me or my face, a brand new pair there Tunney going to waste if you want them.

Pool: I used to have a Blueseventy, Nero for 3 years and loved them. I mentioned them here on boards a few weeks ago, singing their praise and then the very next day I lost them

So now it's Finis, Lightning and to my great surprise these are equally as good.

Open Water: I hate the Aquashere goggles as they are huge. The pool goggles I feel are too small and fear a kick would damage my eye socket. So a good inbetweener goggle IMO is the Zogg, Predator Flex. I have a polarised pair which are great on those sunny days especially swimming into low lying morning sun and a clear pair for duller days.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

I'm a fan of the Zoggs Predator Flex also, dont like wearing Swedish Style goggles in open water, though ok in the pool.

Aquasphere Seal 2 googles are massive, one of my friends love them because he finds then really secure on his face for kicks and stuff while racing, I dont have to worry about that unless I start getting lapped ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Speedo Futura for me - a range of tints, easily available, secure fit, never leak and cheap (<€20).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Been using aqua sphere kayenne for the past few years and love them. I get a good 10-12 months out of a set in the pool. Have a mirrored set for those sunny days. Goggles are a very personal thing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Bambaata wrote: »
    Goggles are a very personal thing though.

So true.... realistically we end up going through several pairs just to find the right ones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    You need to buy both types to be honest, and wear whichever one suits the conditions. No one goggle will suit swimming into the sun and a murky dull choppy day.

(I've six different pairs now, clear, shaded, mirrored, even more shaded, swedish... the swim kit just keeps on growing;))

I have one pair............that don't leak:D

But i have a nice lime green pair coming in the post:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭declanobrennan

thanks for all the helpful advice! A lot to consider now. :)

I had two pairs... left this thread last night and somehow ended up ordering another pair.... hmmm..... you're fault!!!

Had been meaning to get a pair of polarized goggles so went with the zoggs predator flex ones that were mentioned above. Might have them before the weekend and will report back how I find them. Great reviews online though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

Got a pair of Zoggs Predator flex last year for the Gaelforce Kiliary swim. Out of box and first couple hundred meters they fogged up on me. Threw them in bag since last october and wore them first race of sea races in June and they have not failed me so far. Great pair of goggles, haven't leaked and are great in these Sun kissed weekends we are having at moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

no googles for me ( unless in the pool )

johnk123 wrote: »
    I had two pairs... left this thread last night and somehow ended up ordering another pair.... hmmm..... you're fault!!!

Had been meaning to get a pair of polarized goggles so went with the zoggs predator flex ones that were mentioned above. Might have them before the weekend and will report back how I find them. Great reviews online though!
    Well, ordered from CRC on wednesday night, arrived this morning (Friday) and I tried them out this evening.

Very comfortable, and felt very natural on the face. No fog or leaks at all! Granted it was their first outing but so far I'm very impressed and happy with the purchase.

Advertisement