Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gmail on iPhone

• 15-07-2013 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I can't get my email (Gmail) on my iphone. Error message: 'The mail server "imap.gmail.com" is not responding. Verify that you have entered the correct account info in Mail settings." I didn't change anything and all my settings appear to be correct...what should be IMAP Path Prefix be?
    I've checked username and password and all are correct.

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Moved from Open Source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Don't change any settings. Happens me the odd time. Usually fixes itself after a few hours. Turn the phone on and off as well. That sometimes works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

jakdublin wrote: »
    Don't change any settings. Happens me the odd time. Usually fixes itself after a few hours. Turn the phone on and off as well. That sometimes works.

A hard reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ChrisBc

jakdublin wrote: »

I've tried that and still no luck

Piliger wrote: »
    A hard reset.

Reset the phone?

• Advertisement

A hard reset. This actually reboots the phone. Using the normal turn off method only really puts it to sleep.

A hard reset. This actually reboots the phone. Using the normal turn off method only really puts it to sleep.

Just tried that and no joy, same error message still coming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

You're always saying turning it off only puts the phone in a sleep state but have you any proof of that? Both ways the phone seems to go through the same boot up process so I'm just curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

I've never had to provide imap settings. I've always set up as "Microsoft exchange" and that info was never required.

jarvis wrote: »
    I've never had to provide imap settings. I've always set up as "Microsoft exchange" and that info was never required.

I never had to provide it either but just when error message came up about imap setting and when I looked I seen that it was blank.

• Advertisement

guil wrote: »
    You're always saying turning it off only puts the phone in a sleep state but have you any proof of that? Both ways the phone seems to go through the same boot up process so I'm just curious.
    Using the off slider just puts it into a kind of 'powered off' state ... and if you start it again, it just powers up. Nothing about the device software or the operating system software changes.

Using the hard reset, the iPhone actually reboots ... like a computer ? you know ? a full BIOS reboot ... ALL of the software is restarted from scratch ... and often a lot of little flaws that occur during operation get corrected.

Using the off slider just puts it into a kind of 'powered off' state ... and if you start it again, it just powers up. Nothing about the device software or the operating system software changes.

Using the hard reset, the iPhone actually reboots ... like a computer ? you know ? a full BIOS reboot ... ALL of the software is restarted from scratch ... and often a lot of little flaws that occur during operation get corrected.
    So you say, but is there anything to prove that other than you saying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

So you say, but is there anything to prove that other than you saying it.

Ring apple, as you don't appear to be able to take good advice from members here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

None of this is true... the boot-up process is the same regardless of whether the power-off slider or hard reset was used.

old_aussie wrote: »
    Ring apple, as you don't appear to be able to take good advice from members here.

There's no problem taking advice but like I said, Piliger is the only one I have ever seen make that statement, so I'm curious how accurate it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭ozmo

I get this problem all the time when I go through certain wifi zones -

only solution I found is to use 3G until I leave that WiFi zone.

(Reboot had no beneficial effect)

“Roll it back”

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

There's no problem taking advice but like I said, Piliger is the only one I have ever seen make that statement, so I'm curious how accurate it is.

A reset is just a forced restart, except the phone doesn't get a chance to do the cleanup tasks it does during a normal power off. It may solve some issues that a power cycle won't, but Apple only recommend doing it when the OS stops responding and regular restart isn't possible.

What Piliger said about a normal power off just putting the phone to sleep is incorrect. Pressing the sleep button once puts the phone to "sleep". Holding the sleep button and swiping across really does power the phone off. It's actually during a reset that the phone remains powered, which is why you don't get asked for your SIM-pin afterwards.

cornbb wrote: »
    None of this is true... the boot-up process is the same regardless of whether the power-off slider or hard reset was used.
    Wrong. But whatever :confused:

A reset is just a forced restart, except the phone doesn't get a chance to do the cleanup tasks it does during a normal power off. It may solve some issues that a power cycle won't, but Apple only recommend doing it when the OS stops responding and regular restart isn't possible.

What Piliger said about a normal power off just putting the phone to sleep is incorrect. Pressing the sleep button once puts the phone to "sleep". Holding the sleep button and swiping across really does power the phone off. It's actually during a reset that the phone remains powered, which is why you don't get asked for your SIM-pin afterwards.
    Spreading false facts helps no one. This is completely untrue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

You keep saying that, but I'm genuinely curious if there's any proof of it?

• Advertisement

Wrong. But whatever :confused:

It sounds plausible that there is a cold and warm boot - Lot of conflicting claims about this all over internet - even on Apple forums....

One way to test what's happening might be to time the startup - if a boot from HardReset takes longer than normal power down - then its definitely doing something different.

I still don't think its a good idea to do often though.. sounds too much like pulling plug on a pc.

“Roll it back”

Had a old 3GS here (no simcard) I didnt mind if got messed up....

After Normal powerdown:(Booted 3 times)
    33/34/35 seconds to boot from normal power off

After Hard Reset (just tried once)
    56 seconds to boot.

so Im going with Piliger on this - there is a difference - Power off and Hardreset
    - but whether this is just some extra checks (like a pc bios will do after a bad shutdown) or because its loading more is unknown.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,931 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Not very detailed but here is what Apple says: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1430

The actual resetting is what is advised by Apple and others when looking to solve an issue after an app-update etc. Powering off & powering back up again sometimes fixes issues but the hard reset is usually the best option as it's more like "rebooting your computer" than the simple on and off method.

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Powering off & powering back up again sometimes fixes issues but the hard reset is usually the best option as it's more like "rebooting your computer" than the simple on and off method.

Maybe not the "best" option...
    Apple wrote:
    Reset your device only if you are unable to restart it.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1430

ie. its a last resort - only if the normal power down doesn't work.
    You can loose data doing this - eg. try writing something in notepad - then do a hardreset and you will see your note was Not saved along with who knows what in the background.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Spreading false facts helps no one. This is completely untrue.

Ignore them Piliger, you're right. Let them find their own proof, seeing as they crave it so much.

ozmo wrote: »
    Maybe not the "best" option...
    Yet it is the best option if nothing else will work, and before you resort to returning the device or selling it ...
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1430

ie. its a last resort - only if the normal power down doesn't work.
    You can loose data doing this - eg. try writing something in notepad - then do a hardreset and you will see your note was Not saved along with who knows what in the background.
    That link does not say it is the last resort.

The truth is there is oodles of good solid evidence all over the internet ever since iOS started, that this is the best solution to problems that are not easily cured with a power down (OFF slider). I myself have recovered files, data, call history data - and people I have advised have done the same.
    On the other hand there is no need to do such a hard reset on a regular basis unless there is something wrong. The iOS is built to manage itself 99% of the time and it does so better than any other mobile OS.

naasrd wrote: »
    Ignore them Piliger, you're right. Let them find their own proof, seeing as they crave it so much.

If your so confident what he says is correct then please show us. I never disputed that one way or the other was right but I am curious. IMO I think they are essentially the same though fwiw.

If your so confident what he says is correct then please show us. I never disputed that one way or the other was right but I am curious. IMO I think they are essentially the same though fwiw.

Why would there be two options if they are the same? One is restarting, the other is resetting.

It is clear that the reset option fixes issues that restarting doesn't fix.

Yet it is the best option if nothing else will work, and before you resort to returning the device or selling it ...

That link does not say it is the last resort.

The truth is there is oodles of good solid evidence all over the internet ever since iOS started, that this is the best solution to problems that are not easily cured with a power down (OFF slider). I myself have recovered files, data, call history data - and people I have advised have done the same.
    On the other hand there is no need to do such a hard reset on a regular basis unless there is something wrong. The iOS is built to manage itself 99% of the time and it does so better than any other mobile OS.

Yes - I am agreeing with you - its an approved method from apple for curing lots of problems -

I was commenting on Aodhagan post which he seemed to me to be suggesting that this was in some way better than turning off your phone the normal way-

to which I quoted Apple as saying the "best" (way if it works) is to try normal shut off first (its on the page I linked to) - and if that didn't work then use the hard reset.

I backed this up with proof that the hard reset can loose data - so in that sense its a last resort (before doing a DFU mode full restore).

And I also something to suggest you are likely correct about the hard-reset doing a more thorough boot than a normal boot.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement

ozmo wrote: »
    Yes - I am agreeing with you - its an approved method from apple of curing lots of problems -

I was commenting on Aodhagan post which he seemed to me to be suggesting that this was in some way better than turning off your phone the normal way-

to which I quoted Apple as saying the "best" (way if it works) is to try normal shut off first (its on the page I linked to) - and if that didn't work then use the hard reset.

I backed this up with proof that the hard reset can loose data - so in that sense its a last resort (before doing a DFU mode full restore).

And I also something to suggest you are likely correct about the hard-reset doing a more thorough boot than a normal boot.

That's why I suggested it as the best way as it is the one that will fix issues. Restarting the phone leaves it in the same state as it was when you turned it off.

Resetting does a fresh boot up.

Advertisement