Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mature student- independent status

Options
  • 15-07-2013 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hello guys,
    Any help would be hugely appreciated,

I graduated from my undergraduate course in 2011, worked from November 2011 to Nov 2012 and now I have been accepted to a masters programme starting in September, I applied for a grant as an Independent student as I have not lived at home since 2006, I was informed that my application was cancelled because I was a dependent student starting my undergrad and so remain a dependent student. I would not be eligible for a grant based on my parents income from whom I will not be receiving financial assistance.

Is there anyway to prove that my circumstances have changed, and that I am no longer dependent on parents?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Promethean wrote: »
    Hello guys,
    Any help would be hugely appreciated,

I graduated from my undergraduate course in 2011, worked from November 2011 to Nov 2012 and now I have been accepted to a masters programme starting in September, I applied for a grant as an Independent student as I have not lived at home since 2006, I was informed that my application was cancelled because I was a dependent student starting my undergrad and so remain a dependent student. I would not be eligible for a grant based on my parents income from whom I will not be receiving financial assistance.

Is there anyway to prove that my circumstances have changed, and that I am no longer dependent on parents?

thanks

When did you start your undergraduate degree. What year and what age were you?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Promethean

Hey thanks for the reply, I started in 2006 and was 18, I am 25 now.

Anyone have any ideas?

Unfortunately because of the grant rules you cannot change you status from dependent student to independent mature student unless there is a three year gap in your studies.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

ok well thanks a lot for your help anyway mango

• Advertisement

Promethean wrote: »
    ok well thanks a lot for your help anyway mango

Sorry I cant be of more help. These are the rules that they are using.

http://www.susi.ie/Susi/media/susi/SI-159-of-2013-Student-Grant-Scheme-2013_Final.pdf?ext=.pdf
    Classes of applicant.
    13. (1) For the purposes of this Scheme there shall be two classes of applicant
    as follows—
    (a) independent student; and
    (b) dependent student.
    (2) An applicant’s class is defined at their first point of entry to an approved
    post leaving certificate course or an approved higher education course or at
    their point of re-entry to such an approved course and will continue to apply
    for the duration of their studies......

(5) “Re-entry”, for the purposes of this Scheme, means a mature student
    entering an approved course following a break in studies of at least three years,
    having previously attended an approved course.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement