Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age you started watching live bands

Options
  • 15-07-2013 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

I've noticed some fathers bringing their sons (about 10 years old and under) to rock/metal shows on the standing floor, i found it unusual as they can't even see and then they try and push to the front. For me it was 19.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I was 15 when i went to my first gig,my parents having no problem in letting me go on my own. Different times though and it was a relatively tame Bon Jovi show. I've seen many kids at Metallica shows over the last few years. Part of me envies them and wishes my da' had been a rocker and brought me to cool gigs when i was a kid but then again i'm not sure how much some of the kids take in or even remember for that matter.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I think I was 15 or 16 when I went to my first big show, I'd never really looked to go to something before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

I just turned eleven. Motorhead, I couldn't hear for a week.

Everything Louder Than Everything Else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

First proper gig seeing an international band would have been around 14/15.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I was about 13, went to see Sum 41 in the old Point. Think the next one after that was Metallica with Slipknot in 2004.

But I actually loved the live show. It's funny looking back now to think I could appreciate the live nature of it compared to an album. Been going to loads since!
    I think if the kid likes the band and wants to see them then they should go. Even if they don't really remember it later in life, it might get them into live music in general or encourage them to take up an instrument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I was 16 when i first saw Metallica along with High On Fire & Volbeat in the Odyssey Arena in Belfast in 2010....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

First gig.....was Black Velvet Band in the Olympia....think I was 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Think I was 14, was the Metallica/Linking Park/Darkness gig. Fine day out!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Think i was 16 and went to Stereophonics in the Point 2005????? It was the Language. Sex. Violence. Other? tour

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

First gig was Donington '85, i was 14, i only went cos a few mates who were a lot older were going, thank fcuk i did cos it introduced me to Metallica.

Ooooops, sorry, i lie, my first actual gig was Adam & the Ants at Deeside Ice Rink in 1982 :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Took my son to see Iron Maiden when he was around 7, must have been 98 on the Virtual XI tour, we went onstage to sing the chorus of The Trooper, stood right behind Steve Harris. Later that year took him to see One Minute Silence as was mates wit the band, shame really as he turned out to be a house music fan :mad:

My daughter is a different though, she's now 19 and in Uni, took her to her first gig when she was 13 (Metallica) and have since taken her to see Metallica 2 more times, Foo's, NiN, Dropkicks, Limp Bizkit, Slipknot and a few smaller one's, She loves the metal and it's cool now to be able to go to a gig and have a few jars wit her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Mushy wrote: »
    Think I was 14, was the Metallica/Linking Park/Darkness gig. Fine day out!

Not for Linkin Park it wasn't ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

I was 14, Iron maiden/ wolfsbane in the point in 1990.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

I was 15. Red Hot Chili Peppers in the point in 1995

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

About 12 or 13, we used to sneak in through the back door of a local theatre to watch Slade do rehearsals on a Sunday afternoon - not a gig I know, but was as good as for us.
    First big gig - Led Zeppelin at Knebworth 1979 age 17 - mind blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

My first gig was AC/DC and I had turned 15 three days before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Used to go to gigs up around Capel Street around 1989 (14 years old)
    In the Fox and Pheasent (South Great Strand Street) now Jabula's or Akimos.
    And the The Earl Gratton (Now Jack Nealons).

These were mostly small punk gigs. £2 or £3 in.
    Bands that I remember are, The Afflicted, The Cure Heads, The Jelly Babies (they were EXCELLENT, fast hard core Punk)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

17, Metallica/Slipknot at the RDS in 2004, good times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Green Day in The Point for the Warning tour.

I was in 2nd year, so I guess 13/14 and my older brother took me. In the queue outside the venue, he helped/encouraged me to weasel around those queue dividing barriers and somehow we got wrist bands for the pit :D

He said to me after that show "No matter what keep THAT ticket, you'll regret it in ten years if you don't!" The stewart actually ripped the ticket at the wrong end, so I only have half of it, but it sits proudly at the beginning of a photo album I've since started collecting my tickets/wristbands/confetti into.
    It (and any other ticket since) used to stick proudly upon my wall, but aging into my late twenties has made me redecorate my poster clad room :p:pac:

It's funny reading through this thread and smiling at the gigs mentioned and knowing how many of us have been in the same areana at the same time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

17, Iron Maiden in the Point, 1990. I was a bit of a late starter with gigs as most of my mates had been going to gigs for a couple of years at that stage.

A couple of friends who have kids have brought them along to the likes of Metallica, Rammstein etc in recent years and that's pretty cool to see. and there are always a lot of dad with kids (or even entire families) at Rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Extreme in the SFX, followed by Sunstroke in Dalymount in 1993 - I was 15. I went to a lot of small gigs before that though - all the free Saturday afternoon gigs in the Rock Garden & to gigs in the Fox & Pheasant etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

scudzilla wrote: »

Took my son to see Iron Maiden when he was around 7, must have been 98 on the Virtual XI tour, we went onstage to sing the chorus of The Trooper, stood right behind Steve Harris.

That's definitely setting the bar high for your first gig!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Zwillinge wrote: »
    Green Day in The Point for the Warning tour.

I was in 2nd year, so I guess 13/14 and my older brother took me. In the queue outside the venue, he helped/encouraged me to weasel around those queue dividing barriers and somehow we got wrist bands for the pit :D

He said to me after that show "No matter what keep THAT ticket, you'll regret it in ten years if you don't!" The stewart actually ripped the ticket at the wrong end, so I only have half of it, but it sits proudly at the beginning of a photo album I've since started collecting my tickets/wristbands/confetti into.
    It (and any other ticket since) used to stick proudly upon my wall, but aging into my late twenties has made me redecorate my poster clad room :p:pac:

It's funny reading through this thread and smiling at the gigs mentioned and knowing how many of us have been in the same areana at the same time :D

Thank God, I thought I was the only one who did this!! :)

Finally finished my first album earlier this year (didn't go to a lot of gigs in the early days, although I've been making up for it since!). It covers 30 years of gigs almost exactly. If all goes to plan, the second thirty years will be a multi-volume set!

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

I think I was 18 for Papa Roach at The Point :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I was just 14, when I went to a gig with a Maiden cover band called 'Phantom Pharao' and a Metallica cover band called 'Fright Night'.

First major gig two years later: Exodus, Venom, Slayer...still the best gig, I ever went to :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Frankenstein!

My first gig was Richard Ashcroft, then a little over a year later I saw Maiden which was phenomenal. Can't believe it's been around ten years since that Maiden gig! It would have been just as I became a teenager, so I'll assume thirteen ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I was 18. Went to see Metallica in 2008, that was my first time at a live concert. Also introduced me to Alice in Chains and Avenged Sevenfold.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Would have started heading to punk/metal gigs around 1987/8. The Baggot Inn/Fox and Pheasant type things. First 'name' band was Sabbat in McGonagles, 1989. Of course, theyre probably only a 'name' band to old fogies like meself now... :) I would have been 16. Still have the shirt and the O'Connell Bridge bootleg cassette. Saw pretty much every metal band that came to Dublin from that point on. Started to slack off around 1991/92-ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

oldscoil wrote: »
    Used to go to gigs up around Capel Street around 1989 (14 years old)
    In the Fox and Pheasent (South Great Strand Street) now Jabula's or Akimos.
    And the The Earl Gratton (Now Jack Nealons).

These were mostly small punk gigs. £2 or £3 in.
    Bands that I remember are, The Afflicted, The Cure Heads, The Jelly Babies (they were EXCELLENT, fast hard core Punk)

First "big" gig was Fugazi in McGonagles (Now the Chilli Club, for you youngsters) Sept 1990 I think.

Amazing, still waiting for Fugazi to release it on their liver series.

Back up was from The Rhythmites and Therapy. Probably Therapy's first major gig.
    They were incredible... :eek:

Fugazi were a force of nature...right up front all the way through the gig...got to shake Brendan Canty's hand :D
    ...still in my top three gigs :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

One of my first gigs was Therapy too, but in 1993. I was up the front in the SFX & got knocked over along with loads of others. Unfortunately when everyone was picked up, they missed little old me for while. I was battered & bruised & lost a good bit of hair. Definitely an experience for a small 16 year old girl! Was still a great gig though.

That year was a great year to start going to gigs, along with the ones mentioned in my post above, I also saw Rage Against the Machine in the Tivoli, Sepultura & Ice T in the SFX.

Advertisement