Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age you started watching live bands

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

I was 15 - First gig was Pantera in SFX February 1993.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Oral Slang wrote: »
    Extreme in the SFX, followed by Sunstroke in Dalymount in 1993 - I was 15. I went to a lot of small gigs before that though - all the free Saturday afternoon gigs in the Rock Garden & to gigs in the Fox & Pheasant etc.

We must have crossed paths a lot. I was at loads of low profile punk gigs in early 90s, Brinskill Bomb Beat/Blue Babies/Paranoid Visions etc in and around pubs in Capel Street.

Plus all gigs in SFX, and all the Sunstrokes etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Essential reading regarding Dublin gigs in the 90s.

http://www.hopecollectiveireland.com/gigs.htm

http://www.state.ie/features/memories-of-hope (And I just noticed from reading this the excellent hardcore band I mentioned earlier were the Grown Ups...not The Jelly Babies)

Also check this out...

http://comeheretome.com/2010/05/26/dublin-punk-new-wave-venues-1976-84/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

lord lucan wrote: »
    I was 15 when i went to my first gig,my parents having no problem in letting me go on my own. Different times though and it was a relatively tame Bon Jovi show. I've seen many kids at Metallica shows over the last few years. Part of me envies them and wishes my da' had been a rocker and brought me to cool gigs when i was a kid but then again i'm not sure how much some of the kids take in or even remember for that matter.

Was that with Dan Reed Network supporting in the late 80s? If so it was my first gig too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

buck65 wrote: »
    Was that with Dan Reed Network supporting in the late 80s? If so it was my first gig too.

It was,think it was 1990 at the Point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dargull

13, Slayer, Machine Head & Downset SFX

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Jofspring

The first one I can remember was when I went to Wittness in 2002 with a mate. I had just turned 15 the time of the concert. How my parents let me go at that age on my own I will never know, I was 14 when they bought me the ticket to go to it. Soon after I ended up at a good few gigs up in Dublin with mates.

The fact we live so far from Dublin there was never a hope that my parents would bring me to a gig when I was younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭ThunderZtorm

First BIG gig beside my local hometown's small music festival was Prodigy/Clawfinger headlining a 1-day festival in Aarhus, Denmark. Was 17 or 18, can't remember exactly.

Other than that, lots of smaller club gigs with minor bands during the teenage years, but not a lot of really big names - that's only begun in the past few years when I've gotten older, for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I went to High Voltage in London in 2011 & the amount of babies & very young kids was great. Was going to bring my toddler this year, but unfortunately it was cancelled the last 2 years. Lovely set up there, very laid back & absolutely millions of places to eat & drink. Defo recommend it as a place to bring the kids. Helps that it's in London too & not out in the sticks somewhere. Will have 2 tots by next year, so not sure if I'd go with 2, might be a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Geezer1000

Metallica in 88 in The Top Hat, I was around 14

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Iron Maiden tickets for my 13th birthday. Seen them about five times since and it was still probably the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

Oral Slang wrote: »
    One of my first gigs was Therapy too, but in 1993. I was up the front in the SFX & got knocked over along with loads of others. Unfortunately when everyone was picked up, they missed little old me for while. I was battered & bruised & lost a good bit of hair. Definitely an experience for a small 16 year old girl! Was still a great gig though.

That year was a great year to start going to gigs, along with the ones mentioned in my post above, I also saw Rage Against the Machine in the Tivoli, Sepultura & Ice T in the SFX.

Which of the Body Count gigs were you at, I went the second night, 27th December!:) great gig!

what I recall in the lead up to the Body Count gigs was talk of Ice T doing an solo show, along with the Body Count gigs, around the same time, which didn't happen

I regret not seeing either the Rage Against the Machine and Sepultura gigs earlier the same year, I'd say it was a good buzz to have seen both shows.

Sepultura were touring Chaos AD and I suppose after that album, their style changed considerably, from their earlier albums.

Also, Paradise Lost supported Sepultura at that SFX gig and it would have been nice to have seen them then when they were touring in support of the Icon album

Was anyone at the Iron Maiden gig with the Almighty on Sunday 23rd May 1993, We thought we'd never see Bruce sing with them again!:)

Ricky Warwick wore an Irish rugby jersey at the gig!

Was meant to see The Almighty with Kerbdog in the Tivoli in October 1993 but it was cancelled at short notice.

Anyone at the Rollins Band in the Tivoli in April 1994?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,585 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Erm... probably being dragged along by my parents to Mary Black in some converted cowshed outside my home town.

First gig I willingly went to would have been Metallica in '03 (i think)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

Geezer1000 wrote: »
    Metallica in 88 in The Top Hat, I was around 14

That was my second gig, my first was a month earlier, Slayer & Nuclear Assault in the Top Hat, I was also 14 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Geezer1000

That was my second gig, my first was a month earlier, Slayer & Nuclear Assault in the Top Hat, I was also 14 :pac:

Ah, I was at that too, thought Metallica was before it. Slayer was me 1st gig so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Anyone at the Rollins Band in the Tivoli in April 1994?

That was a great show. I was up front on the rail,Rollins had some presence,standing on stage in just a pair of ripped shorts and full of aggression and anger. I remember walking out of the gig and wanting to find someone to bash their head against a wall!:pac:

Advertisement