Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat Roof insulation and covering

Options
  • 15-07-2013 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭

My parents have a flat roof extension about 30 years old,

it needs insulation and an angle to assist water run off.

its roughly 18ft x 11ft
    there are wall pillars at two ends
    one end is against the house and one end runs to the gutter.

ideally, what would be required is a wooden frame placed ontop of the current roof, within the frame the insulation would be placed, chip board would then be placed ontop and a covering to make watertight.

is the above possible of would it be better to rip up the old roof, any advice and costs involved to employ somebody to do this would be greatful.

cheers
    rameire

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

You will probably get more detailed answers. But my gut instinct is to rip off the old roof, then going from inside to outside you want

Plasterboard, Vapour Barrier, Insulation, Ventilated Space and then new roof.

Im totally open to correction and variations on this, but without doing the research I think this would be a correct option.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bryaj

I would strip existing back to joists, fit firring pieces to create falls min 1 in 80, fit plywood, vapour control layer then approx. 125mm high density insulation on ply to meet current building regs. then 2 layer torch on mineral felt.
    *Check with insulation manufacturer for correct position of vapour control layer.

cost approx. 4 /5k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

strip back and go with a new roof is probably the best option. if you can; go with ashphelt covering. one of the best options on flat roofs. I hate torch on or mineral felt. make sure they redo the lead flashings too.
    There is an insulation that can be retrofitted onto existing roofs. You can then torch on or ashphelt or whatever method you choose over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 alibaba2

is it a timber roof structure or a concrete slab?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

rip off the old roof covering, place insulation between the existing joists, ply over the joists, place rigid insulation (to falls using tapered insulated boards or by using firing pieces) and then put the new covering on it. I would recommend fibreglass finish as it is ling lasting and jointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

kkelliher wrote: »
    rip off the old roof covering, place insulation between the existing joists, ply over the joists, place rigid insulation (to falls using tapered insulated boards or by using firing pieces) and then put the new covering on it. I would recommend fibreglass finish as it is ling lasting and jointless.
    Don't forget a vapour control layer. Its bad news down the line if done without. Personally I wouldn't do it without an air gap for cross ventilation either.

Advertisement