Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Education Allowance

Options
  • 15-07-2013 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

I got accepted on a course Fetac Level 5 Nursing Studies. After this course I hope to go on to do a degree in General Nursing either in Ireland or the UK.

I paid the registration fee two weeks ago.

In 2011 I started a Fetac Level 5 Hairdressing and Junior Trade Course but didnt finish it outright. I received BTEA while on this course.

Since 2012 I was on Jobseekers Allowance and receive Rent Allowance until present.

I am wondering will I be entitled to BTEA? I hope so because I really want to do this course.and progress to do a degree and get a career.

I email vec about sending a VTOS application and never got a reply back

Any information please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

You might be eligible for BTEA depending on how many modules of the level 5 Hairdressing course you got certification for. A full award is a minimum of 8 modules but if you only got certified for one or two then you stand a decent chance of BTEA. If you have six or seven completed you might have a trickier time getting it.
    As regards VTOS, a lot of VEC/ETB centres are closed for the summer so you might not hear back from them for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭ann100

OK thanks Paperclip for the information i only done 3 modules for Fetac level 5 so don't have the full Fetac. I hope i will get it fingers crossed.

As I am probably too late for the VTOS.

Will I sent in my Back to Education Allowance form now. as I am accepted on coursre or do i wait for letter of start date.

I know there is long waiting to get it

Thanks again

You could try to submit it with your letter of acceptance but they may not take it without the start date on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

ann100 wrote: »
    OK thanks Paperclip for the information i only done 3 modules for Fetac level 5 so don't have the full Fetac. I hope i will get it fingers crossed.

As I am probably too late for the VTOS.

Will I sent in my Back to Education Allowance form now. as I am accepted on coursre or do i wait for letter of start date.

I know there is long waiting to get it

Thanks again

Vtos application is usually done by the college. You usually need to notify them when you are applying for the course as there are limited amount of vtos slots available to the college and only on some approved courses. At least thats what I was told when I got it for 2012/13 academic year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1

Do you have to be out of education 2 years even if your over 21 ? il be 21 next year and out of education a year would i get it can any1 tell me ?

• Advertisement

RUNNER 1 wrote: »
    Do you have to be out of education 2 years even if your over 21 ? il be 21 next year and out of education a year would i get it can any1 tell me ?

Once you are 21 you meet the age requirements. Its people between 18 and 21 that need to be out of formal education for at least 2 years.

You also need to meet the qualifying period on a relevant social welfare payment. Its 3 months or 78 days for plc courses and 9 months or 234 days for 3rd level courses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1

Thanks , i will be 21 in janurary will do for when i go back next year :)

Advertisement