Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Honda 50 wanted

• 15-07-2013 9:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

My Dad aged 73 has recently sold his 1999 CG125 as he was having trouble swinging his leg high enough to climb aboard. He had a bad heart attack 12 months ago and his agility never returned. He's looking for a step thru with a side stand to get back biking.

So I'm asking if anyone knows of a square headlight, 4 speed, Honda 50 for sale. The reason for the more rare Honda 50 rather than the more popular Honda 90 is the 50 has a side stand.

Thanks

Chris

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Fair play to him, I would have though DoneDeal would be a good place to start, always seems to be lots for sale there, though you know how it is when you go to look for something........:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Yeah fair play to him!

You could try some Honda 50 owners websites to see if they have for sale sections along with the usual DoneDeal, adverts, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

My Dad aged 73 has recently sold his 1999 CG125 as he was having trouble swinging his leg high enough to climb aboard. He had a bad heart attack 12 months ago and his agility never returned. He's looking for a step thru with a side stand to get back biking.

So I'm asking if anyone knows of a square headlight, 4 speed, Honda 50 for sale. The reason for the more rare Honda 50 rather than the more popular Honda 90 is the 50 has a side stand.

Thanks

Chris

The older Honda 50's which are most available in Ireland don't have a side stand, however the 70 and the 90 do have both - main stand and side stand.

The older 50 and the 90 on average only have 3 gears, not 4.

Adverts is the best place to check for second hand bikes. If you go to some Honda 50 events (which are scheduled on the calendar) some folks have bikes for sale at them.

Prices 2-3 years ago for Honda 50's were upwards of €1k to €1500, now they are back to €350 to €600 for ok condition and €700 to €1200 for good restored condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

The older Honda 50's which are most available in Ireland don't have a side stand, however the 70 and the 90 do have both - main stand and side stand.

The older 50 and the 90 on average only have 3 gears, not 4.

Adverts is the best place to check for second hand bikes. If you go to some Honda 50 events (which are scheduled on the calendar) some folks have bikes for sale at them.

Prices 2-3 years ago for Honda 50's were upwards of €1k to €1500, now they are back to €350 to €600 for ok condition and €700 to €1200 for good restored condition.

Thanks lot guys. I've been watching donedeal alright and there's a 1995 square headlight 50 down in Ennis asking 950 that i reckon would go for around 750 but i gotta get it up here and it hasn't been serviced or had anything repalaced in the 7 yrs the current owner has it. I can do all the work myself but that means tyres (no jap crap, I'll most likely be putting Michelins M45's on her) and a battery for starters, Probably Chain/Sprockets/Brakes aswell so you adding another 150 - 200 quid. I've been pushing the old man towards a 90 but he has his heart set on the rarer 4 speed 50. I've a 90 myself (did the nifty fifty the last 2 years in Mondello on it.). He reckons the 90 would have him tempted over the 50 mph mark too easily andhe wants t stay at 40 mph or below.

The search continues.......:)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭STEEL COMET

be very careful out there. lot of broken **** ones out there washed and cleaned up looking good....
    I bought one on done deal on monday really good bike and am delighted!
    I rang the Ennis man and he had a lot of people looking at it that didnt buy! He seems genuine enough though! Man selling one in galway for 1000 dont trust him i offered 1200 when it was 1500 last week he said no.. now its down to a thousand. he keeps ringing me and telling me he has another one in the shed i could buy! BE CAREFULL! Decent guy in rosscomon called John he will find a bike in england for you and fix it up at a nice price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

:)Bit of an update.

In the end I gave up on the Honda 50 search and got him a Honda Innova 125. Then last October Simon Cotter up in Cotter M/Cycles had a 2012 reg GN 125 with 10 kms on it that he had just bought and would it let it go for 2 yr old bike money so te old man bought that. Fifty's are still hard to come by. I'm still racing my 90 in the nifty fifty race. Finished 7th overall out of 50 teams last month:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Fair. Play to the old man.

Hope it all goes well for him.

Advertisement