Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kings Inn eligibility?

• 15-07-2013 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all,

I have a B&L degree from GCD however I've just realised this course only covers three of the six core subjects to sit the entrance exams.
    Therefore I'll have to sit three undergrad subjects this year.

I was wondering if anybody has experienced this and which colleges would allow me to sit Administrative Law, Jurisprudence and EU? :confused:

Any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Give KI a call and ask, I think they do at least one of those courses for prospective students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

Hi all,

I have a B&L degree from GCD however I've just realised this course only covers three of the six core subjects to sit the entrance exams.

I was wondering if anybody has experienced this and which colleges would allow me to sit Administrative Law, Jurisprudence and EU? :confused:

The BA in Business and Law (BABL) does allow you to sit the KI but you needed to have done the right electives. Shame on GCD for not making this crystal clear but it wouldn't have hurt to ask! You can sit the course with GCD and I'd personally approach them looking for some sort of deal given the situation. That said they may be of the same opinion as me... you might have asked.

You'd be wise to also study evidence, the one course BABL can't sit as it's an examinable subject. You could just wing it with the manuals though. Are you sure you need to have done EU?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

You definitely need EU, it's one of the 'core subjects'.

It's possible to sit Admin, Jurisprudence and EU as a part-time student in the
    2nd year of the KI Dip without taking the remaining subjects in the course, plenty of people have done it to plug any gaps in their original degrees. Not sure of the costs involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 threadleeroy

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies, very much appreciated.
    According to the below link my degree automatically allows me to sit the KI exams. I think the next sitting for the entrance exams is next summer.
    http://www.jobs.ie/TrainingCourses/BA-Hons-in-Business-and-Law-NTU-HETAC-6322.aspx

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies, very much appreciated.
    According to the below link my degree automatically allows me to sit the KI exams. I think the next sitting for the entrance exams is next summer.
    http://www.jobs.ie/TrainingCourses/BA-Hons-in-Business-and-Law-NTU-HETAC-6322.aspx

Not without Administrative law EU and Jurisprudence, no matter what that link says.
    That link assumes that you will pick the core subjects as your electives. Although I still cant see admin law on there.
    Requirements for Admission

Applicants should be aware that the core subjects and entrance examinations subjects change for 2010. Please see the current edition of the Education Rules for details. This affects candidates sitting the Entrance Examination from 2010 onwards.

The applicant must show that, in the course leading to the approved degrees, he/she has passed the following core subjects required by the Society:-

- Land Law (including Law of Succession)
    - Equity
    - Administration Law
    - Company Law
    - Law of the European Union
    - Jurisprudence

http://www.kingsinns.ie/website/prospective_students/degree/degree.htm

• Advertisement

Right back to square one for me. I graduated a few years back and can't remember if I did EU.
    Administrative Law and Jurisprudence were certainly not subjects I undertook.

Right back to square one for me. I graduated a few years back and can't remember if I did EU.
    Administrative Law and Jurisprudence were certainly not subjects I undertook.

If you can route out your results it should say EU on it. Seems to be compulsory on that degree but it may have been different back then. You have until next August to sort out the other two, just do it asap so as no to let them interfere with your study for the actual 5 entrance exams.

thanks again for the reply.
    I certainly don't have a module transcript from GCD but I have requested one.

My concern is who will let me sit the remaining exams.
    Somebody mentioned to me previously that UL offer this but it just wouldn't be feasible for me.

The King's Inns will know. Their reception is very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Brussels Fan

I' not sure where in the country you are from but I have registered to do Admin and Jurisprudence in UCC which both start in January. I think many colleges would allow this so probably worth contacting the Law Faculty/ Admisssions Office of your closest college.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭dpp v mcgee

Hi all,

In UCD you have to register as an occasional student and pay 1200 euro for every 5 credits taken.

Advertisement