Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

first bike for short person

• 15-07-2013 9:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

hi im looking for suggestions for a first bike, im a bit short in the leg department at only 5 foot 5. few suggestions and opionons please. examples even better, budget is 1500 and im after a sports bike cbr bandit etc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

What age are you.?
    Ins will be much more on a CBR than a Bandit if you are young.

Also a Bandit is not a sports bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

31 insurance no problem for any bike as just adding it as an add on to my trade policy.
    id reguard them as a sports tourer that is the type bike im after.
    on a mates bandit today found it just a touch to tall for me but its street fighed if that makes any difference

Have you though about a Hornet,that's a mix of the two.
    You should try one out for size.

Also look into a VFR as many use them to tour.

Dodd wrote: »
    Have you though about a Hornet,that's a mix of the two.
    You should try one out for size.
    just checked them out on donedeal not bad looking bike heres the only recentish one on there within budget thou but still up for 11 days so probably gone

http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-hornet-600/5300628

thinking of going to look at this maybe tomorrow

http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/bandit-street-fighter/5342159

• Advertisement

The problem I have with street fighters is are thay like that with cheep parts after a bad crash or just because someone wanted it like that.
    If an add said " have all the old parts"then sure,but most have been in a crash that it is Cheeper to fight it rather than get it back the way it was.

Dodd wrote: »
    The problem I have with street fighters is are thay like that with cheep parts after a bad crash or just because someone wanted it like that.
    If an add said " have all the old parts"then sure,but most have been in a crash that it is Cheeper to fight it rather than get it back the way it was.
    tbh I think id prefer a street fighted bike for a first bike as no expensive fairings to replace and get tixed when id have a fall from it and I feell it be bound to happen with first bike.
    if going to look at a fighter what extra is there to look for my mate is well up on bikes and be coming with me, I know to check fork seals discs tyres sprockets but what other tell tales to bad repair

Also IMO you can't turn a bandit SF.
    It is more turning a sport bike into a bandit look alike but with power.

Foot rest is one way I tell the milage but if this bike has had a lot of work done then it could look new but be a pease of sh1t.
    Look at the bolts and screws to see any sigh they were removed,that will tell a story of its own.
    My advice leave it a while and others here might put you right. But don't buy that.

went to look at that bandit this evening waste of time originally a track bike my mate reckons and would require a lot of work to use for road again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

How about a mini moto?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Check out cycle-ergo.com

You can put in your height etc and it shows how you'd sit on various bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

'misplaced book but easily applied for'
    Well ****ing apply for it so before you put it up for sale.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I used to have a Ducati monster they have a very low seat height. I loved it, cracking bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭CBRLizzie

I'm almost 5ft2 & used to ride a CBR600, have a SV now - I have lifts in my boots, but I imagine you'd have no problems.

CBRLizzie wrote: »
    I'm almost 5ft2 & used to ride a CBR600, have a SV now - I have lifts in my boots, but I imagine you'd have no problems.
    thank you.
    might have a gixer coming my way tomorrow if we do the trade for the kit car

looking like it could be a gixer 750 as a first bike any pros and cons to one as first bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

what year? whats yer license situation like? may not be possible depending on your license

that aside, I wouldnt suggest one to start on at all. They aint learner bikes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

looking like it could be a gixer 750 as a first bike any pros and cons to one as first bike

Pros - its a a cracking bike in the right hands.

Cons - It's more than likely going to end badly with a learner on board.

A naked bike would be the best to start with having said that there are people who've started out on sports bikes and no bother to them. It depends what you've got in the brains dept.

Good Luck with it either way.

Wossack wrote: »
    what year? whats yer license situation like? may not be possible depending on your license

that aside, I wouldnt suggest one to start on at all. They aint learner bikes
    its 93 street fighted it will be first bike
    y woundn they be a learner bike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

theres a pretty good thread out there on the pros / cons (mostly cons) of starting out on a 600cc sports - can sorta stretch that out to see why 750cc aint wise (imo)

and could be wrong, but dont believe it can be ridden on learner permits these days anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

its 93 street fighted it will be first bike
    y woundn they be a learner bike
    The new licence laws mean the bike has to be below a certain power before you can restrict it. It was brought in to stop people starting on Gsxr 750's and killing themselves.

Advertisement