Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you speed up usb 2.0 tranfer rate

Options
  • 15-07-2013 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

I was just wondering can you speed it up becuase it only transfering at 900 kb/s and i think thats quiet slow is there any updates or firm to speed this up or is that just normal and you have to upgrand to 3.0 ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

LukeyKid wrote: »
    I was just wondering can you speed it up becuase it only transfering at 900 kb/s and i think thats quiet slow is there any updates or firm to speed this up or is that just normal and you have to upgrand to 3.0 ?

USB 2 is just the protocol, which is limited to a certain theoretical maximum transfer speed, but usually the bottleneck is the device itself.

So a cheap USB flash drive isn't going to reach anywhere near the maximum USB 2 limit. That's a limitation of the cheap components.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Sounds like the device you are using is limited to 900kb/s i can transfer on usb 2.0 at over 24mb/s .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Make sure your not using a USB splitter or hub for the device. Your speed issues are likely due to the device being used as mentioned above, rather than the USB chipset/drivers etc.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭LukeyKid

jay93 wrote: »
    Sounds like the device you are using is limited to 900kb/s i can transfer on usb 2.0 at over 24mb/s .

What are you using to get speed like that ?

And thanks everyone else for the help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

What are you using to get speed like that ?

And thanks everyone else for the help :)

Using anything that is usb moving files to my phones SD card via usb or using usb memory sticks transfers at that speed i also got one USB 3.0 port on my laptop which does work faster than my 2.0 ones.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,313 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

also depends on the files being transferred and a dozen other variables. But you'll never see the full transfer rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I have an old laptop cpu 1.5ghz single core,i think the transfer speed is very slow cos the drive is 60gig ide type.
    MY laptop bought in 2011 is much faster probably cos the drive is 250gig sata .
    i presume the 2011 laptop uses usb 2 ports.
    new laptop is about 3 times faster at copying files to a usb drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,313 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

not necessarily (force 720p in fullscreen):

In this example the IDE outstrips the SATA in transfer speed.

The theoretical maximum of IDE is far lower (133MB/s) but real world speeds rarely get up to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭LukeyKid

riclad wrote: »
    I have an old laptop cpu 1.5ghz single core,i think the transfer speed is very slow cos the drive is 60gig ide type.
    MY laptop bought in 2011 is much faster probably cos the drive is 250gig sata .
    i presume the 2011 laptop uses usb 2 ports.
    new laptop is about 3 times faster at copying files to a usb drive.

Yeah but like my computers isent old its had a i5 3.1ghz quad core and i have a 1 TB drive , 160 Gb drive , and 1Tb external drive hooked up and there all sata and my drives in my computer are hooked up to sata 3 6Gbps..

when i use thhe 2.0 usb slot its max is round 1.5mb second , plus i dont no does supercharger actually do anything but thats ment to speed them up more aswell and the transfer rate is still carp my memory card wouldnt be high end or anything but they end cheap ****ty ones as well so..i do put the pen drives in the 3.0 slot in the back sometimes and its does increase to 2/2.5 Mb/s but thats still nothing like.. so anyideas ?

so anyideas ?

You need to describe your problem in more detail.

Reading the thread I really don't have any idea what your problem is. Is it happening with all devices, is it only happening with one device?

What are the devices? (and I mean exact make and model)

Have you tested the devices in another computer? Do so if possible.

Are you writing to the device or reading from it? Are you writing large files or lots of small ones?

Take your time when writing a description of the problem, re-read it before clicking post to make sure you have explained everything as clearly as possible. Make sure not to mix up Mb/s with MB/s (8x difference).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You could simply buy a usb 3.0 drive,put your data on that.
    THAN use it in a usb 3 interface,
    1tb drives are quite cheap now.
    IF you plug a usb drive 2.o ,into a usb 3 interface ,then it,ll transfer at
    usb 2 speed.

Advertisement