Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Event] King of Greystones Triathlon

Options
  • 15-07-2013 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a sprint race the weekend of August 10/11th and the King (and Queen) of Greystones might fit the bill. I haven't heard much about this race in the past, has anyone done it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭thepassanger

Basster wrote: »
    I'm looking for a sprint race the weekend of August 10/11th and the King (and Queen) of Greystones might fit the bill. I haven't heard much about this race in the past, has anyone done it?
    Yep I've done it 2 years. 2006 and 2010 its where I live so it's hard to judge it correctly. The swim seems to be a little easier than any other sprints I've done. The cycle on a decent roundabout filled road, with a drag of a climb (twice)near the turn around. Its well worth it. The run looks good this year, its an out and back course, so you can see who is infront/behind. If you like this sort of thing. DO IT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Just got told a crowd from my club are going so I'm in too. Entries closing today by the looks of things. Website.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 King of Greystones

KoG event organiser here. We also have Gavin Noble competing this year, and Irish rugby legend Malcolm O'Kelly too.
    We also have the try a triathlon version which cuts the swim to 200 m.
    http://www.kingofgreystones.com

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

I have done this twice in last 3 years and a great event.

Swim is only easier if the current is running with you - but the organisers have the choice of which way along the beach so as to go easier on you. A little bit of swell on the day can take back anything the current gives ;)

Bike spin is great - 2 laps - very well marshalled with local Gardai - a nice drag up and fast spin down on each lap.

The run this year goes out/back along the the seafront and beside the (work in progress) harbour. Should be a nice route with plenty of spectator space.

Finish off with a nice hot dog or burger in Transition area at the south beach car park and your day is set up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Signed up today for this. One thing I noticed is that there is no sign on the site of needing a race licence, I haven't joined TI this year as I only planned on doing 1 race but do I need a race licence for this race or not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Is it possible to see the list of entrances since registration is closed?

Re the TI license I don't think you need one as it's for charity but I could be wrong!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Crappy didn't realise entries were closing today. I'm registered for Caroline Kearney that weekend but don't think I'll be able for an oly...sprint should be ok. Hmmm....

edit: crap already closed. ah well

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭oinkely

It's a brilliant race. I have done it almost every year since 2004. there is always a great atmosphere and a great range of abilities present. I think Gavin Noble might just be the best athlete they have had though! I guess this won't be my year to be crowned ;-)

the swim is generally with the current so not too bad, though one year i do rememebr it being quite hard as we were swimming into the current.

the bike is quick, despite the hills / drags on the way out and you can always see where you are in the field as it is a two lap affair, up one side of dual carriageway link road and back down the other side.

The run has changed a bit in the last few years, it was a 6 k loop through greystones, then it was an out and back on a footpath beside the cycle route and now this year it is out and back towards bray head.

No TI license required either which is great.

I'm only doing one race this year and it is the KOG.

It's great for spectators too with the bbq and party atmospehere at the finish. Sign up if you can at all. Great event to bring the family to aswell.

Can't wait.

Folks,

Due to extraordinary demand we have had to limit ticket sales. We thank you for your support of the event and The Martin Codyre Fund http://www.martincodyre.com . We will update you on whether we will be able to release new tickets as soon as possible and preference will be given to those on the waitlist. To sign up for the waitlist you will need to go to the website and start the registration process and simply add your name to the waitlist.
    http://www.kingofgreystones.com

KOG Committee

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

any update on any release of new entries to the waiting list please ???
    popular local event and caught on hop this year re closing date for reg. desperate for entry at this stage, no transfers left in wicklow tri, thanks

• Advertisement

We just sent an email out to everyone on our waiting list about this. Very very limited tickets will go on sale tomorrow morning to those on the waitlist.

Thank you all for your support of this charity event,
    We are raising money to help Martin Codyre in his War on Paralysis here is an article with some details:
    http://www.independent.ie/regionals/wicklowpeople/news/fighting-to-get-back-on-his-feet-29480453.html

Will it be possible to see a list of entrants?

Just back from the race now and a big thank you for all the organisers and other competitors. The swim seemed very long and breaking the cycle into 2 laps was nice. The way out was a tough climb for me at some points but the way back in was so much fun except maybe for having to slow for the roundabout but I still kind of enjoyed slingshotting around them.

Could have maybe done with more racks in transition as it was hard to get a spot and especially so coming off the bike before headed for the run. Apart from that a great race and good work by the marshalls and guarda on policing the cycle root with traffic.

The run was really tough for me on the off road part and took two falls but I think in part that was due to cramp I was feeling.

I wont have my time until they are released but very happy with my first tri. Bring on Dublin City in 2 weeks time.

(Also a special thanks to 199 for pushing me on the last 1-2km, really helped a lot if your on here.)

Very good race, well organised (if a little cramped in trans all right). The swim was awesome!:D Walking down, it looked further than the advertised 750m, and once in the water I noticed we would be going against the current. I quickly ditched my wetsuit* by the shore and swam in just the trisuit- a tough swim all right, immensely enjoyable. Bike route was a blast on the downhill, great marshaling by the Guards, run route was good too. Well done the organisers, a great atmosphere for the whole event. Did I mention the swim was awesome?!:D

*Speedo black/red XL, wasn't there when I went back after, and doesn't seem to be in lost property, anyone see one about? Located now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Very good race, well organised (if a little cramped in trans all right). The swim was awesome!:D Walking down, it looked further than the advertised 750m, and once in the water I noticed we would be going against the current. I quickly ditched my wetsuit* by the shore and swam in just the trisuit- a tough swim all right, immensely enjoyable. Bike route was a blast on the downhill, great marshaling by the Guards, run route was good too. Well done the organisers, a great atmosphere for the whole event. Did I mention the swim was awesome?!:D

*Speedo black/red XL, wasn't there when I went back after, and doesn't seem to be in lost property, anyone see one about?

Why did you ditch the wetsuit ? Bummer that someone took it. Hopefully you get it back.

Hopefully it will show up over the next few days on a Tri club page or something.

Yeah they had advertised that we would be swimming with the current but oh well that just made it more of a challenge.

Really need to up my training now after seeing what the rest of the field is like. Some of the leaders were finished as I pulled into transition 2. Really happy with my first race though especially as it was longer than I had been training for.

Why did you ditch the wetsuit ? Bummer that someone took it. Hopefully you get it back.

This (non-TI) Tri was wetsuit optional, so part of me wanted to see what it was like racing "nude". I did a club swim a few days back in choppy seas, without the wetsuit. Lads who I should be much faster than, were staying with me with the current (they were suited), however when we turned against the flow, I opened a big gap. Todays swim didn't have as strong a current, but it was worth it to swim like that. The suit was an old one, I figured I'd risk losing it if I chose to swim skins on the day. Hope it turns up, but even if it doesn't I'm happy to have raced skins today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Whats up with Gavin Noble finishing 7th?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Bambaata wrote: »

AFAIK he was only biking, so it was a relay team. And according to twitter, his swimmer is pregnant!!

• Advertisement

And Russell White apparently

More Pictures here taken with my Camera by a friend of mine who was very trigger happy!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/keith_lacey/sets/72157635032095071/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Bambaata wrote: »

I think he has since been moved down to last place.

His swimmer was indeed pregnant she looked like she may well be having it on the beach she can't have had long left. :eek:

The run was really tough for me on the off road part and took two falls but I think in part that was due to cramp I was feeling.

I think I saw you trying to stretch out your cramp at the yacht club and then taking a spill shortly afterward.

Good to hear you finished though. The ground under foot wasn't ideal on the run route and lots of rambling walkers taking up space on a tight course.

An enjoyable event all the same the bike route was great coming back in bar a few slower cyclists taking the racing line through roundabouts and cutting me off.

As for the swim. I guess I'll go with "Awesome" sweet Jebus. One guy I was talking to had it measured at just over 900M with his Garmin.

My Garmin had 870m but I was all over the place!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/357628133

My Garmin had 870m but I was all over the place!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/357628133

Did you swim out to the yellow buoy that may have been where some of the extra meters were picked up. It certainly felt long. :eek:

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    Did you swim out to the yellow buoy that may have been where some of the extra meters were picked up. It certainly felt long. :eek:

Nah I have a habit of swimming to the right alot! Plus I didn't spot as much as I should have.

Nah I have a habit of swimming to the right alot! Plus I didn't spot as much as I should have.

I was in the same boat myself I'd say I added at least 100M to my swim. Pain in the arse but lessons learned for next year.

I was expecting a nice handy one the year before was only 600M and with the tide apparently. That'd have been a doddle :D They must've felt the pressure with Gavin Noble taking part.

More Pictures here taken with my Camera by a friend of mine who was very trigger happy!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/keith_lacey/sets/72157635032095071/

Thanks for that link he managed to capture a few of my mug and from the looks of it he missed nobody.

Great work pass on my thanks to your friend.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Nice race, really enjoyed it. The swim was long and tough against the current (especially for the cr@p swimmers like me) but very enjoyable day all round.

Edit: Anyone get the bike distance? Felt short to me, maybe 18/19km. Had the Garmin on for the run only, 5.05km so pretty much bang on.

Advertisement