Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my washing machine still under warranty?

Options
  • 15-07-2013 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

My Washing machine is broken. I rang the shop where I got it from, and bought a new one which will be delivered in a day or two. I gave them my name, and my details popped up on their screen, as I had bought the last machine from them. Now they didn't ask.....and I couldn't quite remember when I last bought it....but once they found my details, they ran me off the phone.

I was, confidently pushed, into buying a machine that is a little expensive for me, but the one I wanted they didn't have in stock. So I bought the one recommended (forced tbt). My own fault, I have a mouth n my head and should have used it, but I need a machine straight away, couldn't wait, so beggers can't be choosers etc. Plus they have free delvery....

Anyway, something didn't fit right with me, I tore the house apart...and found the receipt from the last machine, I only bought it last September! less then 12 months old. Am I still under warranty? should they replace the machine? Any advice please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭frankmul

I would say that it should be under warranty, ring the shop or even the manufacturer. How is it not working?
    There is something about a cooling off period with distance selling incase you change your mind, it might be worth your while looking into that with regard to the new machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭mashedbanana

ya, I rang the shop and hey are sending out a repair fella, in the next coupe of days. No advice was' suggested' when I rang, I found I was the one telling them that I should be covered by warranty, and would be needing a refund to my bank account for the other machine I bought. In other words, they were as tough as nails! I sorted it anyhow, thank God, I'll be driven demented over the next few days without a machine, and an army to wash for.

They reckon it's the bearings that's gone in it. All is well till it starts to spin, then the noise is unbearable, and the grating sound too. Clothes come out the machine with a weird burning smell off them. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Yes the bearings are gone.

Were you overloading it.

If so just be careful if the replace the bearings that you don't break it when it is out of warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

i think some models are prone to it

i think a lot of whirlpools gave trouble

they will cover this under warranty i assume?

no, I never over load the machine, no lime scale in the water either. ground is dead level. there is really no reason for it, other than it's not a great model. they are sending out a repair man to fix it, if it can be fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

I realise buyers remorse set in quite quickly after you had purchased the new machine, but you were still willing to accept that your machine had broken within months of purchase?

You should be getting 5 years out of a washing machine even if you do have an army to wash for. I have heard of machines lasting twenty years when used a few times a week.

My Bosch came with a 5year warranty and I'll be making sure it lasts AT LEAST that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

i think all washing machines come with a 4 year warranty. i would demand it be either repaired or replaced

A lot of the lower end Zanussi come with just the 2 month warranty and 2 years parts.
    I could quiet easily do 3 washes a day, and not bat an eyelid.
    I'm sure it'll be sorted, we'll see what the repair man says when he arrives on.
    I'll keep my cool, and see what happens. I have my homework done now, and I know for sure it's under warranty. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Make a cup of tea for the repair man as they have a bit of discretion regarding how they report the call :)

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

My Whirlpool let me down after 1 year, there is 2 years warranty on most w/machines, it needed a new drum & it didn't cost me a cent. I didn't have any trouble when I contacted Whirlpool but I will never buy any of their goods in future!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 thepits

there may be just a slight chance something is stuck in between the drums-e.g. a bra wire or money perhaps,but as other are saying I think it is bearings also. Let us know how you get on if you wouldnt mind :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Your consumer rights are stronger than a warranty. Goods, depending on cost and usage, can be covered by consumer law for up to six years in ireland. The actual time is decided on a case by case basis. A washing machine would certainly be reasonably expected to last more than a year.

Well, the repair guy arrived bang on time. The shop had made contact with the wrong repair guy first, who was covering a different catchment area. So it took a day or 2 for the correct repair guy to be made aware of me. It wasn't such a big ordeal, I learned the 'correct' way to hand wash clothes and would you believe, it isn't very difficult at all! Including jeans! anyway...

Repair dude arrives on time. I explain in detail the trouble with it, and how I have been without a machine for so many days. He handed me an invoice that he had filled in. He suggests that it would be easier all round just to replace the machine. So he heads away, logs a call with some HQ in Dublin, rings me back with a line of numbers that I must fill into the invoice he handed me earlier.

I rang the shop and the dodo on the other end says 'Well, normally the repair man gives us the invoice, himself, directly' So I said 'well, he gave it to me, for a new machine off you, which I'll be needing tomorrow, and I'll give the invoice to the delivery man'

Which arrived yesterday....evening. I must ring them to post me a receipt for it though, as one didn't arrive on with the machine.

So thanks for all the advice, I'm glad it's all sorted now. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Out of interest what was the brand?

less then a year is pretty poor going for a washing machine.

superg wrote: »
    Out of interest what was the brand?

less then a year is pretty poor going for a washing machine.
    A Zanussi. Asseemingly...some are made in China, these are the low end ones, the crappy ones. one that I got.

Then there are the ones made in Italy, these are the good ones, the nice ones. Which is the new one I got. the difference is astounding to be honest. Not only has it got a million more features, but it's so quiet! Really, I keep having to check it to make sure it's on! it's a dream! Very happy with it. The drum is bigger too, it's an all round superb machine in comparison.

Advertisement