Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd masters advice

Options
  • 15-07-2013 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

Currently gave a level 8 and 9 but I am struggling for the past year and half to find work. I gave a hdip also but Teaching I did not get on with and want to work in the area of my current masters. I am considering applying for a second masters in an area of which I have an interest and one which will further my current level of education and broaden my knowledge further on from my current Ma as subject field is same area but up another ladder. I am aware I am not eligible or any financial supports as I have been informed by citizen information. I am now 28 and worried I will not gain anything over the next year or two if I stay on social welfare. I have applied for internships and again none have been successful or replied to my applications. Would you have any advice ony situation in relation to returning and taking a risk on full time education ? And also advice on other financial supports anyone is aware of as because I already have a level 9 I can't qualify for BTEA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭kob29

What are your qualifications in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭01mirelly

kob29 wrote: »
    What are your qualifications in?

Geography - interests mainly lie in the physical and environmental area. I feel my current level 9 is very general subject over view and i need to upskill into a particular area such as Physical/ Environmental

Id be first and foremost identifying jobs and looking at the specifics they ask for and matching any future studies with that. Also see if the masters offers a work experience placement or if it doesnt directly can the college organise one for you. There is little point in keeping adding expensive qualifications without work experience.

Also have a good thorough look at the UK colleges, often they offer modules or professional short courses in niche areas which might allow you to upskill in a short space of time and in specific areas.

But no way would I be forking out for another masters with a clear link to work and the opportunity through the course to develop that crucial aspect of your cv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭01mirelly

kob29 wrote: »
    Id be first and foremost identifying jobs and looking at the specifics they ask for and matching any future studies with that. Also see if the masters offers a work experience placement or if it doesnt directly can the college organise one for you. There is little point in keeping adding expensive qualifications without work experience.

Also have a good thorough look at the UK colleges, often they offer modules or professional short courses in niche areas which might allow you to upskill in a short space of time and in specific areas.

But no way would I be forking out for another masters with a clear link to work and the opportunity through the course to develop that crucial aspect of your cv.

Thanks for that. Yes the money aspect its foremost on my mind. I don't as far as I know qualify for any financial support.

I am not that interested in putting myself in debt for the next year or 2.

Tbh I am feeling a lot of pressure in terms of job hunting. Not been able to secure anything in the last 2 years. I even applied for internships for the purpose to gain work experience, attended interviews for them and after follow ups still no replies. Its a joke.

My other qualification is Art History from my degree so i am even considering trying an internship in that line see what happens.

Many i have talked to have said to go for another masters..............some saying as long as i can guarantee a job at the end but who can guarantee that.

I have been in contact with course directors and past students who basically have said students have gotten work in the past, but current students are on about applying for interns in local gov. So who is to guarantee this time next year i will not be faced with the same solution.

My aim is to not be unemployed for another year.

Can you pinpoint aspects/modules of the other masters that would be of value to you? If so then Id definitely say dig through the websites of UK colleges and see if those areas are offered as stand alone modules or short courses there and get those skills like that instead of the cost of a full masters. No way would I pay a cent to a college for a masters who wasnt willing or able to provide work placement.
    Having studies in Ireland and the UK Ive found the work placement aspect of UK Uni's to be very strong along with the variety of study options. Ireland is unbelievably limited.

• Advertisement
Advertisement