Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the undergraduate course in Journalism and Visual Media any good?

• 16-07-2013 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I was looking through Media Courses in Ireland and came across this one. I was stunned that it was only 245 points last year which made me wonder why, is the course bad or something? The point's just seem very low for such a rare course?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 GCDGrad

Lecturers are bad.

Anywhere you go, if you start seeing lecturers shouting and screaming for respect then avoid it.
    Griffith is one of those College.

Also, if you are doing visual media, you are better off anywhere else.
    The computer labs are running Dual Core's.. those are 8 years old machines. Would hardly do any kind of media stuffs.
    Only good for short trips to print your reports and hope that your stick won't get virus.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I would disagree with above poster completely.

I did BA in Photographic Media, shared alot of modules with J and VM, and its a great course. Theres a excedllent Mac lab tucked away for Journo and Photo students with high spec Macs for video editing and lecturers sre excellent

Tucked away = was on the top floor of JS building.
    Whatever you were told, those are NOT high spec MAC's.

Also, you don't really need MAC's for any of that video stuffs.
    They are trying to sell you an idea that you need to pay high stuffs to get things done.

Been using Adobe Photoshop since as early as version 4.0 (2001) and Adobe Premier Pro since 3.0.
    Recently upgraded my i7 Second Gen to i7 3rd Gen with Nvidia 650 graphics card for Adobe Production Suite on a 1TB SSD HDD.
    In my rendering room I have 16x i7 Gen 2 for 3D rendering and high end video stuffs.

I know what I am talking about.

Also, not all lecturers are bad. But there are many who thinks they are underpaid (and they may well be) and won't give as much time.
    You must be at least an average student on what you are getting into, else you will drop out in few weeks time.
    There is no support structure. They will see you as a Failure and someone who might take a lot of their time to level up.

I've studied in other colleges and griffith is the worst.
    I wish things were different and hope someone is listening and doing something about it.
    It's tuff to replace all the PC's with new models each year, but with a deal with PC makers, it's not a big task.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

GCDGrad wrote: »
    Tucked away = was on the top floor of JS building.
    Whatever you were told, those are NOT high spec MAC's.

Also, you don't really need MAC's for any of that video stuffs.
    They are trying to sell you an idea that you need to pay high stuffs to get things done.

Been using Adobe Photoshop since as early as version 4.0 (2001) and Adobe Premier Pro since 3.0.
    Recently upgraded my i7 Second Gen to i7 3rd Gen with Nvidia 650 graphics card for Adobe Production Suite on a 1TB SSD HDD.
    In my rendering room I have 16x i7 Gen 2 for 3D rendering and high end video stuffs.

I know what I am talking about.

Also, not all lecturers are bad. But there are many who thinks they are underpaid (and they may well be) and won't give as much time.
    You must be at least an average student on what you are getting into, else you will drop out in few weeks time.
    There is no support structure. They will see you as a Failure and someone who might take a lot of their time to level up.

I've studied in other colleges and griffith is the worst.
    I wish things were different and hope someone is listening and doing something about it.
    It's tuff to replace all the PC's with new models each year, but with a deal with PC makers, it's not a big task.

ok now I know you are talking through your proverbial on this.

OP go to an open day, or even drop into the college, email a lecturer from website and you'll get a tour.

I am talking through my 3 years exp in Griffith College.
    I am 35, run my own IT company and have been doing so for over 15 years.

Giving me names will not solve the problem.

On open days, do make sure to ask everything about support structure and how they fair with other educational institute in terms of Support and Feedbacks.
    And ask if you can sit on few of the lectures (lecturer who will be lecturing you) before making your mind up.
    Also, have a go with their new MAC's... They are new alright, but not latest specs. While on the MAC's, click on Start button and right click on "Computer" > Properties. Note down the processor, RAM and Rating. When back home, do a quick google and see for yourself if those MAC's are what they say they are.

=======================
    To avoid being labelled, I won't be replying anymore on this thread unless someone is looking for more information.

• Advertisement

GCDGrad wrote: »
    I am talking through my 3 years exp in Griffith College.
    I am 35, run my own IT company and have been doing so for over 15 years.

Giving me names will not solve the problem.

On open days, do make sure to ask everything about support structure and how they fair with other educational institute in terms of Support and Feedbacks.
    And ask if you can sit on few of the lectures (lecturer who will be lecturing you) before making your mind up.
    Also, have a go with their new MAC's... They are new alright, but not latest specs. While on the MAC's, click on Start button and right click on "Computer" > Properties. Note down the processor, RAM and Rating. When back home, do a quick google and see for yourself if those MAC's are what they say they are.

=======================
    To avoid being labelled, I won't be replying anymore on this thread unless someone is looking for more information.

you know there is a separate mac lab fromt he one you are speaking of for video editing near the SU with all top end MACs and also the MAC lab beside the Photography dept to use? From my experience, the lecturers were very sup[portive, lots of help outside class time and help even after finishing course, still in contact with a few and always getting emails regarding work

I noticed few new MAC's on my 4th year there.
    Again, i am stressing the point that they are new alright. But are not top spec.
    It is alright for most of the course assignments.

I completed my Honors Degree in Computing Science and would not have carried on without for few very good lecturers. They were wise and had a method to teach rather than just random jumps.
    I was not the brilliant of the class, but I got H1. Had it not been for few bad lecturers who knows, may be a distinction?

There is also this issue of finding jobs after college. Most of the recruitment company will not put Griffith College in same standard as Trinity, DCU, UCD, NCI, etc..

So, a wise decision would be to steer away from all that.

It is true, i was in different faculty altogether. But, i had a friend who was doing the Journalism course and always came to me for technical help. And judging by that, are my suggestions.

I wish to see Griffith College up their game and compete with Trinity and likes.

Very disappointing!!

Advertisement