Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

It was most likely mentioned dozens of times already but the Community Shield was the first time I got to see United play in the new kit and I love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Oh and Liverpool are the most successful English club 44 major trophies to Utd's 42 (Charity Shield is not a major trophy)

I could be wrong but I thought the community shield is ranked as like a "super cup" and counts as a trophy, albeit less significant than the League Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Harpy wrote: »
    'Oh and Liverpool are the most successful English club 44 major trophies to Utd's 42 (Charity Shield is not a major trophy)'

This part confused me, I hadn't seen the part where the other poster had put in that united were the most successful English club so i thought you were just throwing that in randomly at the end :o..

The fact is Ronaldo always said he wanted to join Real Madrid everyone knew it was going to happen at some point, whereas as Rooney wants to go to Chelsea our direct rival of course that's going to piss people off more..

What are Liverpools 44 major trophies?

I count, 18 leagues, 7 FA Cups, 8 League cups, 5 European Cups, 3 UEFA cups

That's 41 no?

United have similar too? Between 38-41 without bothering to google?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Timmyctc wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I thought the community shield is ranked as like a "super cup" and counts as a trophy, albeit less significant than the League Cup.

I would be counting it if you want to throw in things like Super Cups to the tally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Corvo wrote: »
    Check Miguel Delaneys tweets today. Says its all merely a contract issue between Everton and Fellaini which has held up the whole thing.
    Miguel Delaney ‏@MiguelDelaney 13h
    @Povey34 nothing new that isn't there. They're still planning for three. Two are obvious, from Everton. The third... is up for debate.

so he believes we are still after Baines. if this is the case, i really am worried about Moyes ability in the transfer market, Baines is not needed and not a priority, at all.

the thing is, if we have not been able to sign them in the last 3 months, what makes United so confident of singing them in the next 2 and 1/2 weeks?

something just is not right with this entire thing.
    Sources close to Old Trafford maintain that the club is intent on signing three players before the window shuts, who would include Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini from Everton as well as one more all-round midfielder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Maybe Moyes wants Baines AND Evra to be on our left wing, to play interchangeably? Could be quite effective, and leaves Nani & Valencia for the right, with Zaha and Young backup.

Could work...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Fanny Biscuit

so he believes we are still after Baines. if this is the case, i really am worried about Moyes ability in the transfer market, Baines is not needed and not a priority, at all.

A lot of rumors Evra was heading back to Monaco this season and he wanted a return with a deal in place. At the moment he looks like staying and if that is the case then signing Baines makes no sense especially when you look at the sums talked about and his age. We should be targeting a younger LB and we should be looking at that next summer.

I hope Evra stays this season, would hate to see him go.

Speaking of Giggs this is something I've been curious about for some time.

Ever since his "indiscretions off the pitch" I really cannot look at him in the same way as before. The fact he has been bandied around as a role model still really gets my goat. Yes he is a fantastic football player whose collection of achievements can never be taken away from him but some of the things he has done as a person are downright reprehensible.

His legendary status has been forever tainted in my eyes and if he were to become the manager sometime in the distant future I think it would disturb me greatly. It also seems to have just been brushed under the table in comparison to somebody like Terry or Rooney. So has ye're opinion of Giggs changed at all?

(I know this is like 2/3 years too late but still :pac:)

i honestly dont care about what players do in their private lives, in fact he is an even bigger legend in my eyes ever year he still plays.

he is a footballer, banging some burd is something i am not going to lose any sleep over. for what its worth, the entire story was blown out of proportion. He did not steal his brothers wife. he banged some girl who then became his brothers wife - if anything, it was his brother who stole his mistress ;) the clown should never have married him.

the whole thing was really f*cked up though id say he has banged more hot burds than an entire stadium full of fans has banged in their entire collective lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Rooney left his favourite club to join Utd

So an early indication of his lack of loyalty?

(Are) You saying Rooney hasnt worked hard all the years he has been at Utd?

Of course he's worked incredibly hard as do most players. I wasn't talking about running around and covering loads of ground and working hard for the team which is great and should be taken on it's own merits. Both players came to the club with an incredible amount of raw talent (albeit Ronaldo had more going on physically) but of the two one has taken his gifts and made himself one of the greatest players of all time. Can anyone say that Rooney is now as good as he should be? I'm not trying to knock him. He has been largely fantastic for us. His goalscoring record speaks for itself and he's carried us at times.

Rooney never threatened to go to City

No. He never directly came out and said "I want to join Man City" and it may have been a bargaining chip but it was widely reported at the time of his transfer "issue" that his agent had been in contact with City and they were pretty confident that they were going to sign them.

Your (You're) saying RVP is a better all round player than Rooney (no he is not)

I don't think there's much difference in quality between the 2. It's inarguable that RVP has been the better player for the last 2 seasons.

Oh and Liverpool are the most successful English club 44 major trophies to Utd's 42 (Charity Shield is not a major trophy)

This can be argued both ways so I'm not about to get into a pissing contest over it. I wouldn't disagree with anyone arguing either side

PS Calling someone's opinion "shíte/garbage" because you don't agree with it is pretty childish. Must suck to get angry over text on a computer screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Wrong on two counts. Liverpool are on 41 and its currently level on 41.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Lads, I've woken up today feeling really positive about life. Surely that means we'll sign someone today! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I have a feeling Bale will join Utd based on nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭ericzeking

On the Baines vs Evra debate, defensively I would have Baines, attacking and dribbling is pretty similar, Baines is younger...but something which don't think I've seen mentioned is that Baines would free up RVP to get in the box for corners and free kicks as his delivery is up there with the best in the league, he also takes a mean direct free kick from all sorts of distances.
    It would depend on the price for me and I wouldn't get held to ransom but I do think he would be an upgrade.
    I'm sure Evra could be replaced handilly enough as bus DJ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have a feeling Bale will join Utd based on nothing.

According to the Sun he has told his Welsh team mates that he won't play for Tottenham again.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭mrmanunited

Lads, I've woken up today feeling really positive about life. Surely that means we'll sign someone today! :D

I now have a routine when I wake up...

1. turn alarm off
    2. reach for phone - feel excited some one has come over night
    3. check all twitter feeds - read loads of crap about Roney and Suarez not going
    4. bbc gossip - rubbish which will never happen
    5. read these forums - Feel good again thinking someone will come today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I now have a routine when I wake up...

1. turn alarm off
    2. reach for phone - feel excited some one has come over night
    3. check all twitter feeds - read loads of crap about Roney and Suarez not going
    4. bbc gossip - rubbish which will never happen
    5. read these forums - Feel good again thinking someone will come today!

Can we stop posting these routines? The first person who did this got lots of love and now people are trying to replicate this. Desist!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Like it or not Evra will not be able to continue playing 50+ games a season for United. The back up is poor, like Carrick if he is injured its a scary thought (Fabios best games were at right back). If the budget exists to get Baines and the other signings fine by me. He is a really good player and would bring a lot to the team never mind the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Like it or not Evra will not be able to continue playing 50+ games a season for United. The back up is poor, like Carrick if he is injured its a scary thought (Fabios best games were at right back). If the budget exists to get Baines and the other signings fine by me. He is a really good player and would bring a lot to the team never mind the squad.

My issue is Baines won't be backup to Evra, and Evra won't be backup to Baines. I just can't see us having 2 of the best 3 left backs in the league at the same time, given the money it would cost to sign Baines and then pay the two of them. Then think about the playing time for each, especially when it comes to the big games. Just don't see it as practical.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

My issue is Baines won't be backup to Evra, and Evra won't be backup to Baines. I just can't see us having 2 of the best 3 left backs in the league at the same time, given the money it would cost to sign Baines and then pay the two of them. Then think about the playing time for each, especially when it comes to the big games. Just don't see it as practical.

Good points. I don't see Evra at United in two years time, maybe not even next year so I wouldn't mind getting him replaced before he goes.

Edit: just to be clear my thoughts are based on midfield getting sorted and having money left over. Left back position is the only position outside midfield where options need improving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭mrmanunited

Can we stop posting these routines? The first person who did this got lots of love and now people are trying to replicate this. Desist!

sorry, i have only just joined and havent seen the other post!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

English Premier League football club Manchester United and prestigious global watchmaker Bulova have today announced a three-year sponsorship agreement to become the club's official timekeeper and global partner.

I was starting to worry there. It had almost been a week since Utd's last commercial deal.

another week, another partnership deal.
    Manchester United and Bulova announce global partnership

• Bulova will become the club's official timekeeper

(NYSE:MANU) English Premier League football club Manchester United and prestigious global watchmaker Bulova have today announced a three-year sponsorship agreement to become the club's official timekeeper and global partner.

Established in the USA in 1875, Bulova is a world leader in the manufacturing of timepieces and clocks. Much like Manchester United, Bulova is a company steeped in history and a pioneer in its industry.

Bulova has long been known for its technological prowess and quality craftsmanship. It presented the first full lines of men's and ladies' wristwatches, invented the first clock radio in 1928 and was the first manufacturer to offer electric clocks in 1931.

Its Bulova Accutron watch revolutionised the way the world told time by offering the first fully electronic timekeeping, providing a technology of unprecedented accuracy that was used by NASA in numerous space missions, including Apollo 11, the first moon landing.

Recognised today as a world leader in diamond watch styling, the company has also continued its record of technological creativity with recent innovations such as the Bulova Precisionist, with a proprietary advanced precision quartz movement, and the Bulova Accutron Calibrator, the first automatic timepiece that allows wearers to fine-tune its accuracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Official timekeeper....

Danger781 wrote: »
    Official timekeeper....

Taking over from Hublot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

At this stage our debt must surely be paid.

That or we can buy Ronaldo and Messi.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

At this stage our debt must surely be paid.

That or we can buy Ronaldo and Messi.

Its looking like it'll be 2015 before the debt is paid off. but now united are comfortable and depending on how much the sharholders take united could have massive transfer budgets after its paid off

There's something odd about fans complaining about the club signing commercial deals.

These are good things, they bring in revenue for the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,707 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Or line the Glazer pockets....

NTMK wrote: »
    Its looking like it'll be 2015 before the debt is paid off. but now united are comfortable and depending on how much the sharholders take united could have massive transfer budgets after its paid off

Where did you read that?

ericzeking wrote: »
    There's something odd about fans complaining about the club signing commercial deals.

These are good things, they bring in revenue for the club.

i dont think anybody has a problem with these deals so relax a little.

people do have a problem however with how our business appears to be focused on off the pitch revenue as opposed to strengthening the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

TheTownie wrote: »
    I was starting to worry there. It had almost been a week since Utd's last commercial deal.

It's a joke, Hublot its a far better quality timekeeper, just look at how consistent the performances have been over the last few years. Absolutely no need for a replacement imo.

I bet that's how other fans get to talk during the transfer window :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

another week, another partnership deal.

Obligatory can he play midfield comment.

i dont think anybody has a problem with these deals so relax a little.

people do have a problem however with how our business appears to be focused on off the pitch revenue as opposed to strengthening the squad.

I'm completely relaxed today as it happens.

It is not the same people negotiating transfers and sponsorship deals, and the only way they are related is more sponsorship will mean more spending power.... this is not the first time this has been pointed out.

Obligatory can he play midfield comment.

He'll keep things ticking over at least.

latest rumors off United website. i find it a little bit odd that our official site posts tabloid stuff, do other clubs do that?

Views expressed in this article do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Manchester United FC...

14/08/2013: Spanish TV show Punto Pelota has made a claim that United's new top target is Mesut Ozil. The Real Madrid star is said to be the subject of a £40million approach and could ask the club to accept any offer if Gareth Bale arrives at the Bernabeu to increase competition for places as he is reportedly aware of the alleged interest from David Moyes.

14/08/2013: Everton boss Roberto Martinez says United have dropped the pursuit of Leighton Baines. "Before we went to Austria one club officially contacted ourselves with an offer and it was a final offer," declared Martinez to the Liverpool Echo. "They put something over and the valuation wasn't anywhere near the quality of Leighton Baines. That was the end of it but, since then, there's been all the speculation, which has been part of what the transfer window is. There's never been another club or anyone else putting in an offer for Leighton. Since then, we've moved on."

14/08/2013 United are today linked with Sevilla midfielder with Geoffrey Kondogbia, though the Daily Express claims the Red will have to pay £17million for the talented Frenchman. Fans might have spotted the versatile 20-year-old during Rio Ferdinand’s testimonial at Old Trafford last Friday, when he played a full match during the Spanish side’s shock 3-1 win.

so at the moment, we apparently are in for -

Fellani - done deal allegidly.
    Modric - officials flew there yesterday apparently.
    Ozil - as above
    Kondogbia - as above.

wouldnt ozil be just another Kagawa and not the player we need? cant see us going for him anyway.

im still sticking to my Fellani, defender and young midfielder like Kondogbia prediction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

latest rumors off United website. i find it a little bit odd that our official site posts tabloid stuff, do other clubs do that?

Very strange, I noticed it a few weeks ago.

I wonder what they are trying to achieve when they post it. It makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Ozil - as above
    Kondogbia - as above.

wouldnt ozil be just another Kagawa and not the player we need? cant see us going for him anyway.

im still sticking to my Fellani, defender and young midfielder like Kondogbia prediction.

Ozil doesn't make much sense imo. Modric makes the most sense apart from Fellani as he's experienced in the premier league. Kondogbia very young and possibly if for what ever reason Fellani doesn't come through he'll be the go to.

That's all just wild speculation and my opinion of course.

Ozil - as above
    Kondogbia - as above.

Was told Ozil is a no-go. Perez loves him, won't sell him.

And I would agree with you - he'd be another Kagawa (and Januzaj). Not really needed, especially if Rooney is staying.

Would say Modric is a far more realistic (and practical) target from Madrid.

Modric Fellani and Kondogbia would be a great trio for this summer..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I only realised about a month ago that the hublot watch on the website actually tells the current time.
    I hate when I click on it instead of home.

• Advertisement

Danger781 wrote: »
    Modric Fellani and Kondogbia would be a great trio for this summer..

Would imagine we'd be selling Cleverley/Anderson if we got that trio in - would only imagine we would go for two of them, and it would be either Fellaini or Kondogbia, not both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,455 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

United don't need Ozil and I'd be skeptical about how good Modric would be. Di Maria or Khedira would be far better value for money and suited to the needs of the team atm.

Would imagine we'd be selling Cleverley/Anderson if we got that trio in - would only imagine we would go for two of them, and it would be either Fellaini or Kondogbia, not both.

I know its not the most realistic of purchases, but it would still be pretty solid.

I'd choose Anderson over Cleverley.. Neither are fantastic I just dont like Clev very much :P If Anderson can grow up and stop being immature about his fitness / diet etc. than he could be great. Until then, he's a squad player and nothing more.

I reckon Anderson could become a real Moyes' favourite. IF he can sort out his fitness/consistency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Stories also coming from Germany that Lewandowski is reconsidering his position as his dream move to Bayern is fading away due to Pep's system there.Get ready for the back pages to do the 2+2=5 stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I reckon Anderson could become a real Moyes' favourite. IF he can sort out his fitness/consistency.

In other words.. are you saying he's fat?

spongebob_funny_face_1_by_akiba165-d46if7q.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Liam O wrote: »
    United don't need Ozil and I'd be skeptical about how good Modric would be. Di Maria or Khedira would be far better value for money and suited to the needs of the team atm.

We don't need Di Maria unless we sell a winger. I'd have Modric over Khedira if we were getting Fellaini as well.

I'd have Modric all day actually, I think he's more versatile.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

sorry, i have only just joined and havent seen the other post!

Don't mind him, there was nothing wrong with your post and not that many morning routine type posts have been made anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Kind of was thinking the same over the last fortnight but don't know if it's just wishful thinking since we still haven't signed a central midfielder.

When it comes to him or Clev I'd pick Ando all day, he just has more upside to him whereas I just can't see Cleverly ever being a whole lot better than he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,455 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

We don't need Di Maria unless we sell a winger. I'd have Modric over Khedira if we were getting Fellaini as well.

I'd have Modric all day actually, I think he's more versatile.

Well considering he's better than Valencia, Young, Zaha and Kagawa on the wings I'd say he'd be a great signing. Him on the left and a fit and firing Nani on the right would be devastating imo. There are already creative midfielders who don't defend much at the club, the shortage is someone who can cover and play beside Carrick and both Khedira and Fellaini would be fantastic for that. Khedira has shown his effectiveness playing beside Alonso.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement