Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Carrick out of the England game with an eye infection. Hope he's ok for the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Kind of was thinking the same over the last fortnight but don't know if it's just wishful thinking since we still haven't signed a central midfielder.

When it comes to him or Clev I'd pick Ando all day, he just has more upside to him whereas I just can't see Cleverly ever being a whole lot better than he is.
    I would still say we need a CM or two, but I do think Anderson could do well under Moyes, regardless of signings. Even if we were to sign two CMs, we'd still have (for example) Carrick, Fellaini, Modric for 2 positions - players like Anderson and Cleverley would still get decent game time and still be required.

Forgetting about his injuries/inconsistency - he is a hard worker on the pitch, tracks back, pushes forward, tackles/passes and takes players on. His attributes are what we'd love - it is the application that is the issue. I don't think, at this stage, he'll become a first choice star - but I think he could still remain very important to United as a squad player/next in line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

I reckon Anderson could become a real Moyes' favourite. IF he can sort out his fitness/consistency.

Thought about this after Sundays match, don't see a problem with this tbh, he has shown when fit he is an excellent player.

The problem is how often is he fit and more importantly actually match fit?

Thought about this after Sundays match, don't see a problem with this tbh, he has shown when fit he is an excellent player.

The problem is how often is he fit and more importantly actually match fit?

Indeed - that is the issue. As I say, I would still say we need signings but I do have high hopes for Anderson under Moyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I don't like Steven Gerrards face

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

So Ozil. A new name in the mix. It doesn't make sense really, well in terms of quality it does because he is class but that means Kagawa will have to play out wide.

I call BS on this one. The Spanish rag that are reporting it are like the Daily Mail I have been told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Kind of was thinking the same over the last fortnight but don't know if it's just wishful thinking since we still haven't signed a central midfielder.

When it comes to him or Clev I'd pick Ando all day, he just has more upside to him whereas I just can't see Cleverly ever being a whole lot better than he is.

Cleverly covers a lot more ground than Ando and his passes are more consistent.

On his day Ando is better but what day is that? A full moon in February?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I would still say we need a CM or two, but I do think Anderson could do well under Moyes, regardless of signings. Even if we were to sign two CMs, we'd still have (for example) Carrick, Fellaini, Modric for 2 positions - players like Anderson and Cleverley would still get decent game time and still be required.

Forgetting about his injuries/inconsistency - he is a hard worker on the pitch, tracks back, pushes forward, tackles/passes and takes players on. His attributes are what we'd love - it is the application that is the issue. I don't think, at this stage, he'll become a first choice star - but I think he could still remain very important to United as a squad player/next in line.

Hey I'm agreeing with you. We need new faces no doubt but the last couple of weeks I've just been thinking that with a new manager, and a clear path in front of him to first team regular, this time it could actually be Anderson's year. He won't get a better shot anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Liam O wrote: »
    Well considering he's better than Valencia, Young, Zaha and Kagawa on the wings I'd say he'd be a great signing. Him on the left and a fit and firing Nani on the right would be devastating imo. There are already creative midfielders who don't defend much at the club, the shortage is someone who can cover and play beside Carrick and both Khedira and Fellaini would be fantastic for that. Khedira has shown his effectiveness playing beside Alonso.

What's your point how does that mean he would be a better signing than Modric. Modric was one the best midfielders in the Premiership and is proven class in the weakest part of the team.

No doubting Di Maria is a good player and would be a good signing but Modric would improve the team a good bit more than Di Maria.

Carrick has pulled out of the England squad due to an eye infection. I bet its one of those short terms ones that will be healed by Saturday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Trilla wrote: »

That's why I'm talking about upside.

Cleverly is fine as a squad player but if you want the player with more potential, it's still Anderson. And as a squad player it's not as if he's lightyears behind Cleverly either. So on that, it's Ando all day for me.

Cleverley's passes are more consistent but Anderson tries more adventurous passes. A lot of the time Ando gives the ball away because he has tried a defense splitting pass - which isn't really something that bothers me. Have to take risks to win games. Granted, sometimes it is just poor passing though, not going to deny that.

I do like Cleverley, and I also think Moyes could do good things with him, similar to Osman (but better). But I think Ando at/near his best is better than Cleverley at the same performance level, or at least he offers the team more.

Also tied to this is the fact Anderson is different to our other midfielders; he's the only one that we have that actually drives at the opposition and commits people, regularly. That is important, imo.

He really doesn't cover more ground. Anderson is an explosive player who plays box to box. It's the reason he looks wrecked near the end of games just like Yaya Toure who plays in the same way. The worrying thing is how Cleverley can't finish many games besides covering less ground.

Also on passes it depends what you mean by consistency. The fact Cleverley is more negative and keeps it simple means he will have better accuracy. Anderson can unlock defenses with balls cleverley can't dream of. He can be hit and miss but he offers far more creativity than Cleverley so his passes won't come of as often.

Anzhi have put Brazillian midfielder Willlan up for sale. Liverpool are interested.

Is he a player we should be looking at? Maybe bid just to annoy pool plus in case the Fellaini deal doesn't come off he has that afro and we can just pretend its Fellaini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Nuts102 wrote: »
    What's your point how does that mean he would be a better signing than Modric. Modric was one the best midfielders in the Premiership and is proven class in the weakest part of the team.

No doubting Di Maria is a good player and would be a good signing but Modric would improve the team a good bit more than Di Maria.

I don't rate Modric defensively and think he would take up the same areas as Kagawa/Rooney. To play a 4-2-3-1 successfully then both of the 2 must be at least competent defenders which ultimately Modric is not and Spurs had very little defensive cover when he was there.

I also mentioned Khedira, he would be a far better fit to the needs than Modric.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

He has a very punchable face to be fair..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Anzhi have put Brazillian midfielder Willlan up for sale. Liverpool are interested.

Is he a player we should be looking at? Maybe bid just to annoy pool plus in case the Fellaini deal doesn't come off he has that afro and we can just pretend its Fellaini.

Is he not an AM thou?

Not seen much of him tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Anderson will retire with huge potential. Hes just not somebody I`d pin my hopes on and hes had more than enough chances.

Its a shame because he has shown flashes of brilliance, has great strength and can run with the ball from midfield very powerfully. Also he seems like a very likable guy.

But its like Groundhog day with him. How many times have we started the season pinning our hopes on him holding down a regular place?

The Ando ship has sailed imo, at least as a first team regular. I really hope Utd arent relying on him this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

FYP :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Khedira would be an excellent signing if it was possible. He's almost like Real Madrid's version of Carrick - underrated by some fans but when he's not in the team they look far less solid.

As for Ozil? we don't necessarily need him and why would Madrid sell arguably their 2nd best player after Ronaldo?

I wish to fcuk they would just hurry up and sign Fellaini. At least so we can use him in our very tough start to the season. I cannot understand the delays at this stage. The only thing reason I can see why we haven't signed Fellaini by now is because we aren't interested in him. I really hope this is not the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Reminds me of a spud that's been left in the bottom of the bag for too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I don't like Steven Gerrardsface

I don't like Steven Gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Danger781 wrote: »
    Modric Fellani and Kondogbia would be a great trio for this summer..

This would be ideal for me, even without Modric in a United shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i find it a bit strange that people are talking about selling Anderson and Cleverly. we are 2 players short there, as it stands we have only 3 natural CM's.

they may not be great, but at the moment they are all we have and it would take 3 or even 4 signings/new young players to come in before we can phase them out.

id pick cleverly and ando in the middle every time over Jones or Giggs.

this lad would be one of the better United fans on twitter. no bulls*it, no transfer rubbish just talk.

sums up everything perfectly IMO though i think we all still expect and believe the club will still sign players.
    ProudRed ‏@ProudRed85 1m
    I still can't believe United haven't strengthened the squad with only three days until the League starts. I'd be surprised if we sign anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I like Phil Jones as a player, but he is not a CM. I'd never pick Jones in midfield, unless it was to do a specific man marking job alá Bale/Ronaldo. Otherwise I'd go with Carrick and one of Clev/Giggs/Ando, in order of preference. I wish Fletcher was back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    Carrick out of the England game with an eye infection. Hope he's ok for the weekend.

I would imagine his 'eye infection' has to do with Saturday's match, and the likeliness that United won't have signed a CM by then.

Christ. 'Mr Positive Outlook' is now starting to sweat moderately.

i find it a bit strange that people are talking about selling Anderson and Cleverly. we are 2 players short there, as it stands we have only 3 natural CM's.

they may not be great, but at the moment they are all we have and it would take 3 or even 4 signings/new young players to come in before we can phase them out.

How people want Anderson gone is beyond me with the lack of options.

He as a squad player will still play 20+ games a season.
    When he gets a run of form he usually turns in some good performances.
    He is the only midfielder available who can dribble at pace and has the creativity to unlock defenses.

Would i be happy if we relied on him no.
    Would i be happy if he was kept as a squad player and hopefully under a new manager can have more of an impact yes.

To people who think he should be sold take a step back and look at the options at our disposal for midfield.

master-t wrote: »
    I would imagine his 'eye infection' has to do with Saturday's match, and the likeliness that United won't have signed a CM by then.

Christ. 'Mr Positive Outlook' is now starting to sweat moderately.

i honestly believe if we dont sign players until the last couple of this, it will be the most intense deadline day ever. Sky will need about 10 correspondents for United issues alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

i honestly believe if we dont sign players until the last couple of this, it will be the most intense deadline day ever. Sky will need about 10 correspondents for Untied issues alone.

Appropriate typo is appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Anderson has a lot more talent than Cleverly for sure. If he could just add consistency and a more aggressive mentality. Also Di Maria would be a great signing. He has great pace,energy also a quality left footed wide player we haven't had one in a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Anderson is only a year older than Cleverley mindfúck.. I thought he was near Rooney's age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

It'll be a big slap in the face for Moyes if he can't get a deal done. Also Rooney needs to be sold ASAP, he doesn't want to stay so why keep him?

At least Suarez is telling it as it is. Rooney is hiding behind agents and won't submit a written transfer request because of the financial implications of doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Ozil is the provider of goals, he is player with most goal assists for Madrid, maybe even for la Liga.
    I cannot see him being sold unless he asks to leave, and even then for United we don't need him, unless we sell Kagawa, and I don't think many fans of United want that.

Khedira would make sense, a defensive midfield player, another quality German player player.
    Modric would be good but wouldn't Khedira make more sense, unless United wanted one attacking midfielder beside Carrick instead of a defensive midfielder.

I really think Gustavo would have made more sense both from an attacking and defensive point of view.
    Fellaini though would do the same job and Moyes knows how to play him and how versatile he is.

Fellaini + Carrick and another top class midfielder and United would have proper formation options when it came to the big games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭ericzeking

David Moyes: Roy... you f*cked me over with the Rooney thing, you did and your captain is also sticking his nose in my business. I'll be taking Michael Carrick back now for the weekend.

Roy Hodgson: Sowwy Dave...we'll make something up, eye infection? That'll do...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

6 caps for Brazil in 2008, and none since... :(

I like Anderson. A lot. I like his drive and energy, that he'll try stuff that others won't or can't. And I would love nothing better than to see him playing well consistently for us. Just can't see it after so many false starts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

Can people read what they read before replying to posts. It was said that one would think Anderson or cleverley would be sold, if kondogbia, fellaini and modric were signed. It wasn't an 'anderson and cleverley should be sold' thing.

It'll be a big slap in the face for Moyes if he can't get a deal done. Also Rooney needs to be sold ASAP, he doesn't want to stay so why keep him?

At least Suarez is telling it as it is. Rooney is hiding behind agents and won't submit a written transfer request because of the financial implications of doing so.

Rooney is being Smart this time. Last time he went public, didn't get his move, backed down, then looked a bit sheepish and got booed a bit.

This time - he says nothing to rock the boat. He or his agent, must know United's stance that he won't be sold to Chelsea, so for him to come out public saying he wants to leave and go to Chelsea, only to not be sold, he would look a complete mug.

So he stays quiet, lets his agent and the club talk - if the club won't budge and United don't sell (Which I hope we don't sell him) then he comes out and says he cleared the air and he is focused on United and winning trophies etc etc etc.

Textbook Football Transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Can people read what they read before replying to posts. It was said that one would think Anderson or cleverley would be sold, if kondogbia, fellaini and modric were signed. It wasn't an 'anderson and cleverley should be sold' thing.

Yep - This is how it came about.

I said the trio would be great signings. Mitch said we would need to sell Anderson or Clev.

I agreed.

People went mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Maybe he will be sold after the Chelsea game, heard it argued that Moyes would not want his first game at OT as being Rooney returning to United's home ground after he move to Chelsea.
    The later it is left the less time to settle in.

Which in a way makes sense if Moyes brings in one or two Everton players, they would not have a new manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Looks like the American owners of United & LFC are showing some balls and laying down the law to the like of Rooney & Suarez, spoilt fcking brats.Its a World cup next year so the players will want to play, suck it up rooney, on €250k a week FFS.

Secman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

The ever reliable Sky Italia says we have contacted the agent of Samuel Eto'o.

I would rather buy no one than that fecking mercenary.

Carrick's precise holding precision mixed with Fellaini's robust defending & attacking domination = a perfect combo for me.

Modric would be a good player, but he would either play in Carrick's role or in the Kagawa / Rooney hole. Carrick and Modric in the middle of the park still leaves us with no muscle or presence in then fine. But we don't.

Get Fellaini in. Sort it out. Then get in a youngster. Play Adnan and Zaha this season and I am a happy man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

When was the last time we signed nobody before the season started?

Worst summer ever.

£371million spend so far this window in England and United yet to spend.

:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Fellaini and Kondogbia are too similar, it needs to be one of their type of player and then a top class game changing type of player like Modric.

I'll be disappointed if Fellaini is our only signing, we'd just need to strengthen more in the next window and January is a long way away. We could be well out of the race by then.

Liam O wrote: »
    I don't rate Modric defensively and think he would take up the same areas as Kagawa/Rooney. To play a 4-2-3-1 successfully then both of the 2 must be at least competent defenders which ultimately Modric is not and Spurs had very little defensive cover when he was there.

I also mentioned Khedira, he would be a far better fit to the needs than Modric.

Modric doesn't play as far forward as Kagawa and Rooney don't kid yourself. He don't play as deep as Carrick either but he does offer some defensive cover. It really depends on what you want really people were jizzing about Fabregas who is in the same mould as Modric. Although Modric is not as good but is a massive improvement on what's at the club.

We need two type of midfielders a more creative player and cover for Carrick or a partner. I think a midfield two of Carrick and Modrid could work. Moyes teams work very hard i expect the wingers to track back all the time. The below team would offer decent cover and would be frightening playing counter attack football.

Carrick Modric

Nani Kagawa Zaha

Then you could look at somebody like Kedhiera and Fellaini. Lets take Fellaini who looks more likely. This means we will be setting up to be hard to break down but lack creativity from the middle of the park.

Carrick Fellaini

Zaha Kagawa Nani

In reality i think we need to bring in 2 quality midfielders a creative and a defensive player but i only expect 1 really. I will be delighted if it's one of Modric or Fellaini. Until we sign a cm it's hard to know what way Moyes will want to set up the team.

Corvo wrote: »
    The ever reliable Sky Italia says we have contacted the agent of Samuel Eto'o.

I would rather buy no one than that fecking mercenary.

In fairness, it was Anzhi who offered him those wages.......not as if he held them to ransom. Of course he took it.

I guarantee he wouldn't be requesting close to those wages should he move to the PL at age 32.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

RobertKK wrote: »
    Maybe he will be sold after the Chelsea game, heard it argued that Moyes would not want his first game at OT as being Rooney returning to United's home ground after he move to Chelsea.
    The later it is left the less time to settle in.

Which in a way makes sense if Moyes brings in one or two Everton players, they would not have a new manager.

I guess we'll get an indication of whether or not that may happen if Rooney gets any game time on Saturday. Moyes surely won't play him if he knows that he's off to Chelsea.

RasTa wrote: »
    When was the last time we signed nobody before the season started?

Worst summer ever.

ah here - you can't be saying that til it is over. There is still time to make the awesome signings we kinda need. Anyway, we are champions with the squad we already have so should be fine to win the league this season anyway.

There are a few other rebuttals that I can't think of right now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement