Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

lordgoat wrote: »
    From reading on here it generally doesn't seem that way.

Everyone hopeed we would get players in early - the issue is loads were happy enough with the fact we had not signed anyone, as 'there is still time'.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

lordgoat wrote: »
    From reading on here it generally doesn't seem that way.

Look just because most of us aren't kicking up a song and dance because nobody has signed yet and are remaining patient doesn't mean we wouldn't prefer to have all the players signed a month or two ago. It hasn't happened, there's still time. We've been told people will come in before the window closes. Assuming that happens then that is good enough for me. We've been waiting long enough another couple of weeks surely won't hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I would be happy if United were confident of signing or very close to signing players.

I guess I dont know if that is case, but if it is then I be happy enough. If it was different I be worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Really hope Fellani is close and tbh if only he comes that will do me bt i worry when Everton say they have had no contact or bid in for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

The lack of signings is a little concerning at this stage. I'm usually one to be patient and I usually back the club but we've a tough start to the season and midfield is looking a bit threadbare. The sooner a player comes in the sooner he gets up to speed for our hard games at the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Quandary

dahat wrote: »
    Really hope Fellani is close and tbh if only he comes that will do me bt i worry when Everton say they have had no contact or bid in for him

Same here.

Is everyone just assuming we are interested based on Moyes previous experienced with and knowledge of the player?

I have yet to see anything semi-concrete to suggest anything other than pure speculation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Quandary wrote: »
    Same here.

Is everyone just assuming we are interested based on Moyes previous experienced with and knowledge of the player?

I have yet to see anything semi-concrete to suggest anything other than pure speculation

seems like it if we wanted him i would have expected to have sign by now certainly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

been waiting long enough another couple of weeks surely won't hurt.

well i think you will find it can hurt, considering we play Chelsea, City, Liverpool and indeed Swansea away with a new manager.

there is no excuse for not having any new players heading to Swansea on friday afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Everyone hopeed we would get players in early - the issue is loads were happy enough with the fact we had not signed anyone, as 'there is still time'.
    I doubt that's true. Think it was more accepting/understanding than happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Anyone else happier given the last 2 public pursuits that events seem to happening on the quiet now. I think the first we will see of a potential signing may be when its very close to a done deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭ericzeking

well i think you will find it can hurt, considering we play Chelsea, City, Liverpool and indeed Swansea away with a new manager.

there is no excuse for not having any new players heading to Swansea on friday afternoon.

In fairness Homer there are a plethora of excuses, valid ones too,
    the club won't sell, the player won't come, valuations don't match, personal terms don't suit, the desired player is not yet available.

It's not ideal, but if we lived in an ideal world Cesc Fabregas would have signed for us a fortnight ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Anyone else happier given the last 2 public pursuits that events seem to happening on the quiet now. I think the first we will see of a potential signing may be when its very close to a done deal.

Or else there is actually just nothing happening! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Danger781 wrote: »
    Or else there is actually just nothing happening! :o

Don't ruin the muppetry.

Let's hope that is the case. Whoever we sign, I hope at this stage that the transfer talks are at a very advanced stage. The last thing we need is to be sweating in the last few days of the window. The later we leave it, the more leverage the selling club has.

Quandary wrote: »
    The later we leave it, the more leverage the selling club has.

are we not already at that stage now?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Ya I was wrong. There's plenty of time left and it's not like we have a rough start to the season. And ya there loads of good EXCUSES as to why we haven't signed anyone. Ill row in now. Two quick questions. Just how far in the sand should one bury ones head. And isn't it hard to post on boards from that position?

sums up our approach this summer to be honest.
    Samuel Luckhurst ‏@samuelluckhurst 50s
    2012: Everton manager Moyes says United's £12m Baines bid is 'ridiculous'.

2013: United manager Moyes tables £12m bid for Baines.

Or we are basically doing nothing. Maybe a few questions about availability and not much else is happening.

It being quiet doesn't mean it is good news!

are we not already at that stage now?

20 days left

Yes we are I suppose :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Don't know this now...but is he near the end of his contract?

the money spent on RVP would have been 10 or maybe 15m more if he had a year or two left on his contract.

Lets all just wait and see. Way too much moaning and doom\gloom going on with regards to our transfer antics this summer.

12 months older, 12 months closer to the end of his contract.

ericzeking wrote: »
    the club won't sell, the player won't come, valuations don't match, personal terms don't suit, the desired player is not yet available.

It's not ideal, but if we lived in an ideal world Cesc Fabregas would have signed for us a fortnight ago.

and that is why we should have been putting bids in, in late May, early June before players went away on holidays, internationals etc.

Cesc took 3 weeks to commit his future to barca, nobody can say for sure that a more prompt and less half assed bid wouldnt have turned him.

ericzeking wrote: »

This. It's not a black and white situation, of course there are excuses. The club shot for the stars with Fabregas. We probably couldn't have picked a better target. Unfortunately, we couldn't get him for monetary and personal reasons.

As it stands now, though, it's time to get a midfielder in. It has been identified by the club and the manager as a weak area. We have tough games at the start. Time to get a move on.

That's a stupid statement. A year left on his contract and free to talk to clubs in 6 months with a view to leaving for nothing. 12m is near the top end to pay for him in that position.

This. It's not a black and white situation, of course there are excuses. The club shot for the stars with Fabregas. We probably couldn't have picked a better target. Unfortunately, we couldn't get him for monetary and personal reasons.

As it stands now, though, it's time to get a midfielder in. It has been identified by the club and the manager as a weak area. We have tough games at the start. Time to get a move on.

The problem is, imo, we went for Fabregas 1 month later than required, and spent 3 weeks arsing around over bidding for him.

We simply shouldn't have wasted so much time on Fabregas - we should have greatly sped up the process of going for him.

The seeming lack of effort made to identify or contact back up options to him is utterly amateur as well, imo.

• Advertisement

The problem is, imo, we went for Fabregas 1 month later than required, and spent 3 weeks arsing around over bidding for him.

We simply shouldn't have wasted so much time on Fabregas - we should have greatly sped up the process of going for him.

The seeming lack of effort made to identify or contact back up options to him is utterly amateur as well, imo.
    Unfortunately, none of us know if we had back-ups or not. We've been linked with plenty in the papers but nobody knows for sure. It's hard to use that as a stick to beat the club with when it's not clear what's gone on in that regard.

We probably spent too long on Fabregas, but as I've stated previously, I think that United, like Arsenal, require more due diligence than the likes of Chelsea or City when it comes to transfers and it shows in how long it takes for us to push transfers through and formulate bids.

Trilla wrote: »
    Lets all just wait and see. Way too much moaning and doom\gloom going on with regards to our transfer antics this summer.

Up until now, there is no other way people can feel about our transfer business. If things change drastically and we sign our intended targets in the remainder of the transfer window then I for one will breathe a huge sigh of relief - better late than never.

But right now, the way the new crew have conducted our transfer business has massively disappointed me.

The only real positive player wise for me this Summer has been the talent we have in our hands with Januzaj.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Seeming being the operative word. We don't know every move the club is making.

Unfortunately, none of us know if we had back-ups or not. We've been linked with plenty in the papers but nobody knows for sure. It's hard to use that as a stick to beat the club with when it's not clear what's gone on in that regard.

We probably spent too long on Fabregas, but as I've stated previously, I think that United, like Arsenal, require more due diligence than the likes of Chelsea or City when it comes to transfers and it shows in how long it takes for us to push transfers through and formulate bids.

The fact we haven't bid for or signed anyone would indicate our work on back up options is non-existent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Is Saturdays match on Sky Sports or one of the others? Mate of mine was saying he got an email sayibg Sky Sports is freeview on Saturday so it'd be handy if it was on Sky Sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

It's already been said how much effort Moyes likes to put into his signings before he makes them. It's not ideal that we have signed nobody and we have a tough start. But i would prefer Moyes gets who he thinks are the right players instead of panic buying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

markc1184 wrote: »
    Is Saturdays match on Sky Sports or one of the others? Mate of mine was saying he got an email sayibg Sky Sports is freeview on Saturday so it'd be handy if it was on Sky Sports.

Sure is, half 5 ko

The fact we haven't bid for or signed anyone would indicate our work on back up options is non-existent.

This is the part I have a problem with. How can we know?

This is the part I have a problem with. How can we know?

Suppose I can't know - i go on the fact no one has heard of, or reported any.

Sums up your agenda and lack of understanding this summer to be honest.

I've not posted here in a while since I've moved to Canada and time difference has made it difficult. However, I've seen your posts about transfer policy which constantly come across as so petty, undercooked, childish and blatantly ignorant it's been embarrassing to read.

At one stage at least someone proved you categorically wrong on a major point with a well thought out post. But you simply ignored it and pretended it never happened. I'd almost love for you to ask me to find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,707 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Id still be a little pissed off with any signing that came in now tbh. EPL starting at the weekend and they'll have no preseason with the club. What an awful summer tbh

It will be very hard to expect any player to come in now and make a huge difference for us tbh and if they come outside the PL will be even harder for them, bloody nightmare this is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I take there is no concrete transfer news today then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

12 months older, 12 months closer to the end of his contract.

That's what I said yay!

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I take there is no concrete transfer news today then?

The only concrete transfer related news this Summer and correct me if I'm wrong is

2 failed bids for Fabregas
    1 failed bid early in the Summer for Baines

Apart from that we have not made any other bids for any other players. If we have, then they haven't been revealed yet.

Though it is fairly rare for the media not to eventually get hold of news of an official bid, especially when its from a club as big as Utd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

That's a stupid statement. A year left on his contract and free to talk to clubs in 6 months with a view to leaving for nothing. 12m is near the top end to pay for him in that position.

Baines is under contract till June 2015

• Advertisement

Still hope Baines does not come. Not at the expense of Evra anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

This. If it's an either/or, I'd chose Evra every day of the week.

Indeed - heard Evra's potential move to Monaco collapsed, so there is no need to replace him with Baines.

doesnt look like he is coming, Martinez appears to have said that deal is dead.

of course we could go back and panic buy towards the end, but that would be the classic example of a signing just for the sake of it. i think what you posted a few days ago is true, everton turning down the first bid, coincided with Evra wishing to stay and this ended it.

Indeed - heard Evra's potential move to Monaco collapsed, so there is no need to replace him with Baines.

I heard he changed his mind.

Either one of us will hopefully be right anyway.

Think the guy is class left back. 1 bad season, but seems to get the harshest treatment of any player when he plays bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

While at this stage Baines would probably be an upgrade ability wise, I think that Evra is a big leader on the pitch and I don't think that we should be looking to move him on just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I heard he changed his mind.

Either one of us will hopefully be right anyway.

Think the guy is class left back. 1 bad season, but seems to get the harshest treatment of any player when he plays bad.

It's a testament to the standard which we took for granted from him each season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Headshot wrote: »
    Id still be a little pissed off with any signing that came in now tbh. EPL starting at the weekend and they'll have no preseason with the club. What an awful summer tbh

It will be very hard to expect any player to come in now and make a huge difference for us tbh and if they come outside the PL will be even harder for them, bloody nightmare this is

This time last year we hadn't signed RVP, he didn't make a huge difference did he?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Mars Bar wrote: »
    It's a testament to the standard which we took for granted from him each season.

This. And it's a disgrace how quickly how good he is can be ignored or forgotten.

• Advertisement

While at this stage Baines would probably be an upgrade ability wise, I think that Evra is a big leader on the pitch and I don't think that we should be looking to move him on just yet.

Another factor is that with RVP being a excellent set piece taker it is something that is not essential as before and something that really is Baines trademark.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement