Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Another factor is that with RVP being a excellent set piece taker it is something that is not essential as before and something that really is Baines trademark.

Does it not free up RVP to get on the end of set pieces?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Headshot wrote: »
    Id still be a little pissed off with any signing that came in now tbh. EPL starting at the weekend and they'll have no preseason with the club. What an awful summer tbh

It will be very hard to expect any player to come in now and make a huge difference for us tbh and if they come outside the PL will be even harder for them, bloody nightmare this is

They will have had pre-season with their own club so fitness should not be an issue.

Rooney is the one who has had no pre-season with the club! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ericzeking wrote: »
    This time last year we hadn't signed RVP, he didn't make a huge difference did he?

sigh

RVP was WC and was a proven PL player. We wont beable to repeat that again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

sigh

RVP was WC and was a proven PL player. We wont beable to repeat that again

i think if we signed fellaini and baines both would fit in fairly quickly. cause a both played under the manager and b both played in the same league for years. probably could even live in the same place so no need to settle into the culture. in fact if we signed someone from a PL club i think this would be pretty much the case

magnumbud wrote: »
    i think if we signed fellaini and baines both would fit in fairly quickly. cause a both played under the manager and b both played in the same league for years. probably could even live in the same place so no need to settle into the culture. in fact if we signed someone from a PL club i think this would be pretty much the case

I didnt think about the manager, good point but I dont want those signings lol

• Advertisement

I didnt think about the manager, good point but I dont want those signings lol

why not? probably the best left back in the PL and a beast of a CM

magnumbud wrote: »
    why not? probably the best left back in the PL and a beast of a CM

Because Evra is a class act and fell is just a hacker. We dont need a hacker but a creative CM

You can get the hacker after buying a creative CM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Does it not free up RVP to get on the end of set pieces?

Maybe but I dont think its something essential that we need.

Had we no set piece taker of quality I would make Baines a top priority.

Because Evra is a class act and fell is just a hacker. We dont need a hacker but a creative CM

We already have a creative CM, Adnan Januzaj. ;)

Cesc made his debut at Arsenal at 16 and was a regaular in the team at 17.

If United were to buy two CM, how long do you think Adnan would hang around for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

And with Januzaj coming through, we'll have another set piece taker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

Mars Bar wrote: »
    And with Januzaj coming through, we'll have another set piece taker.

He'll be like a new signing :pac:

Adnan will be an AM, cant see him being a CM

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Sacramento wrote: »

I've not posted here in a while since I've moved to Canada and time difference has made it difficult.

Cool. How's Canada? Have we signed any players over there? What with the time difference and all?

Edit: apologies just realised Canada is behind time wise. Carry on.

Adnan will be an AM, cant see him being a CM

Maybe he'll be a CAM! :pac:

We already have a creative CM, Adnan Januzaj. ;)

Cesc made his debut at Arsenal at 16 and was a regaular in the team at 17.

If United were to buy two CM, how long do you think Adnan would hang around for?

Januzaj isn't as good as cesc was. It's beyond crazy to expect such things from youth players.

Players good enough at 16/17/18 come along so infrequently as they as rarely ready.

Can you say you've seen enough of Janz to say he's ready? I've watched him all of last season and I think he will be in the squad til Christmas and then loaned. And maybe next season he might make an impact in the league.

you are massively underrating fellaini by calling him just a hacker. 2 seasons in a row he destroyed us in matches until the 3rd match when jones was played with the simple task of stopping him doing it again which IMO is a big complement at just how good the guy is. i also think that his power is something we need.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Cool. How's Canada? Have we signed any players over there? What with the time difference and all?

Edit: apologies just realised Canada is behind time wise. Carry on.

Time difference makes it difficult to post is what I meant. But well done at missing the point of my entire post. You'd almost swear you two (Homerjay) were talking about me or something..
    I suppose I've got another few hours to "stew" anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Fellaini is so much more than a hacker.
    He is very underrated by a lot on here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Sums up your agenda and lack of understanding this summer to be honest.

I've not posted here in a while since I've moved to Canada and time difference has made it difficult. However, I've seen your posts about transfer policy which constantly come across as so petty, undercooked, childish and blatantly ignorant it's been embarrassing to read.

At one stage at least someone proved you categorically wrong on a major point with a well thought out post. But you simply ignored it and pretended it never happened. I'd almost love for you to ask me to find it.

What I would ask you to do is point to our badly needed new midfield signings, but, well, you can't do that can you. And so Homer is correct, this has been a shambles of a summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Fellaini has been one of the best midfielders in the league the last 2 years.

Also anybody starting for Belgium with the team they have must have a bit more to their game than hacking. I am not saying you but in general people make lazy assumptions without watching a player that often. Anybody who has watched Everton a good few times will know what you said is nonsense.

• Advertisement

Januzaj isn't as good as cesc was. It's beyond crazy to expect such things from youth players.

Players good enough at 16/17/18 come along so infrequently as they as rarely ready.

Can you say you've seen enough of Janz to say he's ready? I've watched him all of last season and I think he will be in the squad til Christmas and then loaned. And maybe next season he might make an impact in the league.

I would say that there are few in the squad that deserve more of a chance than him. Cleverley has had chances and while he has been hampered by injuries, he has a lot more to do to keep a place in the team. Anderson has had many years to nail a place in the first team but has failed to do do. Kagawa did not have a good season last year.

I think that SAF putting him on the bench in the last game and Moyes picking him in all the pre-season games might be a sign that those in OT might feel he is ready.

Since you think it's beyond crazy to expect such things from youth players we should agree to disagree! :)

What I would ask you to do is point to our badly needed new midfield signings, but, well, you can't do that can you. And so Homer is correct, this has been a shambles of a summer.

Well I can actually, that wasn't my point at all. My point was Homer didn't seem to understand that a player who has aged and has one year less on his contract would be worth less than he was one year ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Well I can actually, that wasn't my point at all. My point was Homer didn't seem to understand that a player who has aged and has one year less on his contract would be worth less than he was one year ago.

You can point to our badly needed new midfield signings? Please do?

Time difference makes it difficult to post is what I meant. But well done at missing the point of my entire post. You'd almost swear you two (Homerjay) were talking about me or something..
    I suppose I've got another few hours to "stew" anyway.

Ah well played. Ya should have said hello in twit land. Much more hospitable on there!

Sure homer is more outspoken than most but I agree with him on this transfer window. I disagree with him on plenty of stuff but we needed players months ago. And we still need them!

Manchester United close to finalising long-term deal for Adnan Januzaj

Adnan-Januzaj-008.jpg
    Adnan Januzaj came on for Robin van Persie, left, when Manchester United won the Community Shield. Photograph: John Peters/Man Utd via Getty Images

Manchester United are close to tying Adnan Januzaj to a long-term contract to recognise his emergence as a player Sir Alex Ferguson has described as "one of the most promising talents" to come through the club's youth team.

Guardian

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Delboy5

David Moyes in the ITV studio tonight with Keano and Dixon.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Delboy5 wrote: »

Dammit does he not realise the farcical shambles of a transfer window he has presided over he should be out signing players...not on the freakin telly.......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

The fact that it looks like we won't sign anyone before the season starts doesn't make the amateur dramatics from June/July correct.

Even now at this stage, I'm not particularly happy at the situation myself, but there isn't a need to have a complete sh*t fit and go into meltdown over it, which is what some posters have been doing for months, never mind for a week or two.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Dammit does he not realise the farcical shambles of a transfer window he has presided over he should be out signing players...not on the freakin telly.......:rolleyes:

Yeah, how dare he not spend every waking minute signing players.

FFS.

• Advertisement

Yeah, how dare he not spend every waking minute signing players.

FFS.
    i think he is being sarcastic. but then you could also be being sarcastic. need a sarcasm detector for posts :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Delboy5 wrote: »

That's just stupid. Why put himself in the position where he can be asked questions about Rooney and transfers on live television?

J. Marston wrote: »
    That's just stupid. Why put himself in the position where he can be asked questions about Rooney and transfers on live television?

Because he is manager of Manchester United and he ain't afraid of the media! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

Adnan looks like the lad from home alone (pre drug days).

Also people backing up fellaini by saying he destroyed us last year doesn't really count as he was played very forward, and not in a position he'd be played with Utd. Would be good for a plan B though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Fellaini is so much more than a hacker.
    He is very underrated by a lot on here

Fellaini would add so much to our Midfield it's absurd to think otherwise. When you look at what is available - and I must stress the word AVAILABLE, he is the best option.

- Ozil? Don't be silly.
    - Cesc - MASSIVE Long Shot
    - Modric - Not Available unless they sign Bale, even then, still a long shot
    - Gustavo - Not really the player we need, albeit he is a very good DM
    - Bastian - Not Available
    - Whilshire - Not available

I disagree with you on the fact that he is under-rated by many on here though. He is under-rated by a few, they just voice their opinion on him a lot. You will find more positives than negatives about Fellaini I would have thought.

Ah well played. Ya should have said hello in twit land. Much more hospitable on there!

Sure homer is more outspoken than most but I agree with him on this transfer window. I disagree with him on plenty of stuff but we needed players months ago. And we still need them!

Twitter can be a clusterfúck too! Ha, but I agree we signings too, specifically midfield. We've not had success in signing what we need yet but Moyes was quoted in saying that things will be done later because of all the changes in management. Do I fear we might miss out? You're damn right I do. But I'll wait until the window closes to judge this transfer window. The hyperbole on here has been ridiculous at times. I replied to Homers post on the 12mil bid to highlight his continuing lack of knowledge on a topic he almost exclusively posts about.

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »

He probably has agreements in place on what questions they can ask. It's in ITVs interests to have Moyes (or any big name) on their show for ratings no matter what they ask.

He probably has agreements in place on what questions they can ask. It's in ITVs interests to have Moyes (or any big name) on their show for ratings no matter what they ask.

To be honest, I think it's good that he will be on it. For a number of reasons.

1. If he answers the questions well, he comes off with a heap of experience and comes across well to the public
    2. If he comes out swinging about Rooney etc then again, he comes off well and shows he will not d1ck about
    3. If he gets a grilling about no new signings then hopefully it will resonate further that the fans EXPECT signings to be made ASAP
    4. If it all goes t1ts up and he gets a pasting about Rooney and no signings - the club will have to go and sign Ronaldo, Cesc and Bale as a PR Rescue :)

It's a win - win :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Obviously Moyes and Keane are working out the deal with Fulham for Rooney.

If Rooney starts Moyes will say it's great for Man Utd that he's getting some game time and then probably say he's not at the fitness we'd like for the weekend.

If he doesn't play he'll say he won't be fit for the weekend and it's a shame he couldn't play for England.

You can point to our badly needed new midfield signings? Please do?

Want to stop intentionally missing my point!? If it's not intentional it's moronic.

Yes we need midfield signings, we need cover for Carrick and we need someone more attacking too, in the mould of but not necessarily Modric/Fabregas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

I replied to Homers post on the 12mil bid to highlight his continuing lack of knowledge on a topic he almost exclusively posts about.

go on then, tell me what have i being wrong about in terms of my opinion on our transfer activity (or lack there of) this summer or are you going to wait until we actually sign players (something we all expect and hope for anyway) before you have something to prove me wrong about?

the general consensus here is that everybody is in agreement with me apart from 2 or 3 posters who are happy with things, but people think that i am out of order for calling mr woodward and his board an embarassment and a joke. thats fair enough, they can have their opinion, as do i. as to how that is Hyperhole or meltdown ill never know, but people can have their opinions.

care to enlighten me what ive been wrong about in this subject anyway?

and regards Baines, you seem to have weird attitude that your right about something when i am not quite sure what it is you are thinking you are right about. being one year older and one year less does no equate to losing value. We paid £16million for Ashley Young who was in the last year of his contract. selling players internally in the same league also does not have the same impact financially as players who go foreign when talking about the Bosman ruling, but sure, what do i know, i am clueless about this according to you.

for instance RVP was worth much less than £24million a few years back, but he went on to have the season of his life and into the last 2 years of his contract and his value soared. we could sell him right now at a profit, yet he is a year older. i could go on and on and get example after example to show you up like you have tried to do to me, but i think my point is complete.

people on here are on about how Baines was the most creative player in europe last season, made the team of the year and what not, yet you for some reaosn think that his value then goes down just cos of his age.

by the way, the post you took offence to was that of a very respected poster on twitter samuelluckhurst and not mine , i assume youve already lashed him out of it for his ourtageous views? and the guardian reporter who wrote the article i posted early about Woodward being out of his dept? or perhaps the most respected Untied fan around who wrote an article labelling Woodward like a drunk uncle at a wedding? or the fact that Neville called the summer difficult? or the fact that our manager said ideally work on signings would be done early and that they have been workinrg hard all summer? you will see post after post on here where people are saying how annoyed or frustrated they are, yet you seem to single out me.

we all cant be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Going into the new season with (almost) the same squad is like having the same dinner every night for 6 months. A new signing adds some spice and interest to the games. Otherwise we've seen it all before.

by the way, the post you took offence to was that of a very respected poster on twitter samuelluckhurst , i assume youve already lashed him out of it for his ourtageous views? and the guardian reporter who wrote the article i posted earlier? or perhaps the most respected Untied fan around who wrote an article labelling Woodward like a drunk uncle at a wedding?

we all cant be wrong.

Hummm, well BG didn't specifically label Woodward a Drunk Uncle at a wedding, he said the club as a whole in their transfer activity this summer - meaning we are stumbling from one player to the next. WHICH isn't true. The Media have reported we are 'In' for said player, Said player moves somewhere else, cue UNITED MISS OUT ON SAID PLAYER. The only player we have apparently missed out on after approaching and bidding fr, is Cesc.

Far from an embarrassment.

Also, Bearded Genius is a bit of a drama-queen.

Going into the new season with (almost) the same squad is like having the same dinner every night for 6 months. A new signing adds some spice and interest to the games. Otherwise we've seen it all before.

We do have Zaha though. He is a new signing, although a player with potential, but looks like he'll be getting plenty of game time this year.

Zaha is new. Kagawa is supposed to be much better than what he showed last year. RvP for dinner every night would be great! :pac:

There is a new manager so a new style of play. Lots of players will need to improve on previous seasons if they are to last into future seasons.There are some exciting young players coming through.

All points to another exciting season! :)

master-t wrote: »

Far from an embarrassment.

im not really sure why some of you are so upset about this word. the entire dashing home from Sydney was laughable for instance (its 4 weeks ago now, yet it was urgent). If this was Liverpool, Spurs, City or Chelsea, acting like this we'd be pissing ourselves laughing. i admire peoples stauch defence of the club, but there comes a point when you have to take a step back and say "what the f*ck is going on here".

the only saving grace is Arsenal are actually worse. At least we have a world class Keeper, defence and Striker to help us win things.
    master-t wrote: »

Also, Bearded Genius is a bit of a drama-queen.

yet he is still very well know and respected. opinion is all in the eyes of the reader too.

im not really sure why some of you are so upset about this word. the entire dashing home from Sydney was laughable for instance (its 4 weeks ago now, yet it was urgent). If this was Liverpool, Spurs, City or Chelsea, acting like this we'd be pissing ourselves laughing. i admire peoples stauch defence of the club, but there comes a point when you have to take a step back and say "what the f*ck is going on here".

the only saving grace is Arsenal are actually worse. At least we have a world class Keeper, defence and Striker to help us win things.

Why did you leave out Arsenal in the first instance yet include Spurs, Liverpool ,Chelsea and City?

Last season City signed muck, yet no one was laughing at them until it didn't work on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

People going in at Moyes for not siging anyone I think is silly. It's not Moyes that puts in the offers or does the negotiating so that's that with regards to pulling off the transfers.

Also, Moyes has brought through young players in his time like Rooney himself for example so maybe he will do the same this season. I think this season will be about him accessing the players that are already here. Last season United brought in new players like Kagawa who is a fantastic player and he didn't really get to play for different reason with injury being one of them. He also had to adapt to a new culture and league. Valencia didn't have a great season and yet was player of the season a season or so prior. Nani was injured for a lot of it and Rooney was in and out of the team and with these 2 players, that could have been down to crossing Fergies path.

We have creative players in our midfield as it is and yes, a Cesc would have been nice but would have meant that somebody already there was going to suffer. There still is time for a big name creative midfielder but personally I'd be happy to see what United can get out of the ones already here this season and hopefully not as many injuries to the likes of Nani, Kagawa and having a happy Rooney would be good also. Zaha has had a good preseason and so has Adnan Januzaj.

Now all players have a chance to show what they can do with the new manager so it's a fresh start for some and there are young players coming through and into the senior team and lets hope they can produce when given the chance.

I've said before that what is lacking is a box to box midfielder like Roy Keane or Yaya Toure for Man City and Fellani would fit that description. A Belgian international who has had at least 2 excellent seasons in the PL and already knows the manager so I don't really see why people would be against this signing.

Also, Phil Jones may be regarded as a defender but played very well in midfield last season when asked to perform there and done very well against Real Madrid and snuffed out Ronaldo the majority of the time when against him. On that note, Roy Keane when bought from Nothingham Forest was a defender and Fergie turned him into the box to box midfielder most remember him as.

So the one signing of a box to box midfielder is what is needed and then give the players currently there a season to show if they can step up and show that they have what it takes and worst case senario, a bigger budget next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

A live televised appeal to locate Ed Woodward i'd say.

People going in at Moyes for not siging anyone I think is silly. It's not Moyes that puts in the offers or does the negotiating so that's that with regards to pulling off the transfers.

this is not true at all. 99% of the frustration on here is not aimed at Moyes, i thought this was very clear.

The club has let him down IMO so far, it has placed alot of extra and unwanted pressure on him that he doesnt need.
    Why did you leave out Arsenal in the first instance yet include Spurs, Liverpool ,Chelsea and City?

you obviously missed the part that i said Arsenal are worse than us. their transfer policy has been a joke for years.
    Last season City signed muck, yet no one was laughing at them until it didn't work on the pitch.

there was plenty of United fans laughing at their pathetic signings, so i dont know where you were..

they made an absolute mess of their summer and it turned into a mess of a season. they signed muck, and played muck. they learned from it and have went about their business in a very very professional manner this summer - no bulls*it, no drama, no talking about signing players or dashing across the world like superman, but went out and got it done.

Thought this wouldnt need explaining.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement