Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old os with games

Options
  • 16-07-2013 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hey does any one rember an os with loads of games and the name

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

Not quite sure what you are asking, but there is ubuntu, a popular linux distro that has loads of games on it

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dmcm_90

nucker wrote: »
    Not quite sure what you are asking, but there is ubuntu, a popular linux distro that has loads of games on it

Its not ubuntu. This os was out in the 90*s

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Can you elaborate a bit more on that, there were a few machines that came out with games in the 90's

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Can you elaborate a bit more on that, there were a few machines that came out with games in the 90's

Its not windows 98 , 2000 or xp
    ALL I REMBER IT HAD A PIPE GAME AND AN OTHER OS HAD SOME KIND OF escape game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Commodore 64 was my first thought too, while trying to decipher the vagueness of the posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

"Commodore 64 was my first thought too"

Ah the memories come flooding back

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Amiga? Atari ST?

A fun guessing game! Will you know the name when you hear it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

dmcm_90 wrote: »
    Its not windows 98 , 2000 or xp
    Windows NT 4?
    Windows 95?
    Windows NT 3.51?
    Windows 3.11?
    Windows 3.0?
    ALL I REMBER IT HAD A PIPE GAME AND AN OTHER OS HAD SOME KIND OF escape game
    Ah, that sounds like Linux anyway, you can pipe and escape stuff all over the place in that. Not sure I'd really call it a game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Sounds like a pipe game anyway ;)

Could be anything really!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

stevenmu wrote: »
    Windows NT 4?
    Windows 95?
    Windows NT 3.51?
    Windows 3.11?
    Windows 3.0?

Ah, that sounds like Linux anyway, you can pipe and escape stuff all over the place in that. Not sure I'd really call it a game though.

The pipe screensaver in Windows 95? Who remembers the 3D maze screensaver in 95/98? That actually lagged on my first computer lol :pac:

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

yoyo wrote: »
    The pipe screensaver in Windows 95? Who remembers the 3D maze screensaver in 95/98? That actually lagged on my first computer lol :pac:

Nick

I remember fondly the first time I saw hardware accelerated pipe screensaver. Nvidia Riva 128 with alpha opengl drivers. Four whopping megabytes of memory in it. It was a flippin' legendary graphics card.

OMG! DID YOU KNOW THE PIPE SCREENSAVER COULD BE THAT SMOOOOTH???????

*mind blown*

Khannie wrote: »
    I remember fondly the first time I saw hardware accelerated pipe screensaver. Nvidia Riva 128 with alpha opengl drivers. Four whopping megabytes of memory in it. It was a flippin' legendary graphics card.

OMG! DID YOU KNOW THE PIPE SCREENSAVER COULD BE THAT SMOOOOTH???????

*mind blown*

Ha! From memory think the machine I had was a Matrox Mystique video card and 4MB memory. Was an old Pentium 1 with a whopping 16MB RAM, not enough to play Age Of Empires 2 back then I remember! Annoyed me no end when I got the game and tried to play it (it required a minimum of 32MB RAM!).

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

It could of been a ZX Spectrum game

yoyo wrote: »

Nick
    Its not a screen saver. I think the game was called pipe mania. You had to lay pipe for tye liquid to run down a drain. The other game I cant think of but it was on a tower computer

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Its not a screen saver. I think the game was called pipe mania. You had to lay pipe for tye liquid to run down a drain. The other game I cant think of but it was on a tower computer

Pipe Mania (AKA Pipe Dream) was part of the Microsoft Entertainment Pack back in the early 90's. Is that what you're thinking of?
    I had it on Windows 3.1 and Windows 95, although I'm sure it still works (with a bit of compatibility tweaking perhaps) on a modern OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm thinking that he had a machine with 3.1 on it, and a custom GUI. There was lots of custom GUI's (that ran within DOS), as 3.1 was still seen as sh|te, and I'm thinking the other game was part of the GUI.
    maki wrote: »
    Pipe Mania (AKA Pipe Dream) was part of the Microsoft Entertainment Pack back in the early 90's. Is that what you're thinking of?
    I had it on Windows 3.1 and Windows 95, although I'm sure it still works (with a bit of compatibility tweaking perhaps) on a modern OS.
    Look up a DOSBox; it allows you to play the old games on a new machine.

the_syco wrote: »

I'm thinking that he had a machine with 3.1 on it, and a custom GUI. There was lots of custom GUI's (that ran within DOS), as 3.1 was still seen as sh|te, and I'm thinking the other game was part of the GUI.

Look up a DOSBox; it allows you to play the old games on a new machine.
    will do thanks

Sorry, that was just me going off topic, I know I should know better :pac: :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Banned for 1 week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,313 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Pipe Dream.. I remember seeing a version on some old PCs in the childrens section of the library. I suppose it could have been Commodore, but it was probably windows based. Or it could have been IBM. Gah. So hard to tell. I didn't use them all that much.

Advertisement