Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help: camping near lakes in Wicklow

Options
  • 16-07-2013 3:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

So myself and a group of friends are trying to find somewhere to go (wild) camping before the end of the summer. Sadly, we're all broke students and can't afford cars/€20 buses. Are there any spots accessible by cheaper local bus or Dublin bus that can be recommended? Time isn't really an issue, only money. Honestly, I'm stuck on the idea of a lake. So far as I've seen though, the only one with a Dublin bus link is Blessington and it's no camping/swimming.
    Let me be clear, we're not on some mad drink binge like most teenagers would be. If we wanted to drink outside, we'd find a beergarden. Most of my group were scouts up til quite recently, we plan on taking all rubbish with us and leaving the spot as we find it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Apart from Blessington there are not many lakes on public transport routes from Dublin. The lough Brays might be a possibility - you could get the 44 to Enniskerry but it would be a bit of a hike up to the lakes from Enniskerry and one of the lakes has a substantial private house beside it so that would be out - the other lake is close to the road and you might get hassle from boyracers as that road is popular with that sort.

I always felt that Art's lough in glenmalure would be the prefect wild camp spot - isolated, quiet and difficult to get too so the skanger camp and litter brigade would not be interested, only genuine responsible campers, but again it is a 1.5 hour hike up and you would certainly need a car to get there (and with no gaurantee the car would be in good nick when you got back down the following day).

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Geniusforhire

St Kevins bus to Laragh, 7 km road walk on the Sally Gap road to the car park at Glenmacnass, then just under 3 kms walk along trail to Lough Ouler for the most glorious lake views in wicklow, a fair bit of walking but you're young and fit and it could be years before we get as nice a summer again.
    :)

Advertisement