Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing Guarantor

Options
  • 16-07-2013 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a tracker mortgage with Bank of Scotland - originally taken with First Active. A relative went as guarantor at the time of application. I wish to remove them now.

Is there any truth that the bank can remove the tracker aspect of my mortgage agreement if the guarantor is removed?

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you wish to enact a change to the terms of your mortgage, the bank may be entitled to insist that you change your rate too. The contract is a two-way agreement so the bank can refuse to make changes to the contract unless you agree to drop the tracker rate.

It's generally only happening where people are changing the amount or term of their mortgage, but I imagine the banks will do everything they can to get rid of trackers.

They can't just take it away though without asking you, so it's no harm to start the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

I just noticed on another thread here - see post 6 - Is this not true?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056779463

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

The only people who can answer this properly for you are your bank - ring them and ask them, it won't commit you to doing anything.

The only people who can answer this properly for you are your bank - ring them and ask them, it won't commit you to doing anything.

I just wanted to get legal clarification - I know all banks want to remove trackers where possible and wanted to check my rights in these cases...

The guarantor wants to purchase other property and to be a guarantor effects this so I'm looking into removing him...

It would be a complete DISASTER to lose the tracker...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

sticker wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a tracker mortgage with Bank of Scotland - originally taken with First Active. A relative went as guarantor at the time of application. I wish to remove them now.

Is there any truth that the bank can remove the tracker aspect of my mortgage agreement if the guarantor is removed?

Thanks in advance...

In fairness for the bank what have they got to gain by taking off the guarantor? They wont be quick to do this as it leaves them with a greater risk. I would doubt they would go for it to be honest and if they do consider it I would expect for them to force a rate change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,327 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I just wanted to get legal clarification - I know all banks want to remove trackers where possible and wanted to check my rights in these cases...

The guarantor wants to purchase other property and to be a guarantor effects this so I'm looking into removing him...

You'll have little prospect o f success unless your own financial position has significantly improved since the initial loan approval and you would qualify for the loan by yourself (including LTV) at this stage. Even then, the bank should want to get some benefit - eg payoff some extra capital- for giving up what was regarded as necessary security. Clearly, only a lunatic would allow the removal of the guarantor if you are in negative equity so I assume that does not apply.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

You could talk to the bank about it. They will tell you what the options are. There will be nothing binding until you sign a new agreement.

chris85 wrote: »
    In fairness for the bank what have they got to gain by taking off the guarantor? They wont be quick to do this as it leaves them with a greater risk. I would doubt they would go for it to be honest and if they do consider it I would expect for them to force a rate change.

If they won't, then that's something we would deal with - but I would think the good levels of home income and not a missed repayment in 6 years might be good factors in going it alone!

I just wanted to check what my rights might be in this instance before approaching the bank...

Thanks for all the advise guys - Much appreciated.

I'll approach the bank and see what they suggest....

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

As above, the bank can't remove your Tracker without your agreement, so there's nothing to lose by talking to them.

But you need to be aware of a few things. It's not as simple as asking the bank to remove the guarantor - there was obviously a reason for the bank requiring the guarantor in the first place, and your financial strength would need to have improved substantially in the meantime so that the overall risks are much lower for the bank now, even after taking into account the fall in value of the bank's security in the period. (And considering 6 years ago was the peak for lax lending conditions.) There is no obligation on the bank to even consider your request and, arguably, they shouldn't.

But... if they agreed, it would also depend on how they viewed the new arrangement. If it requires new mortgage documentation, your Tracker will almost certainly be gone.

An added obstacle is that Bank of Scotland Ireland isn't lending anymore and actually doesn't even exist - it's mortgages are serviced by Certus, which makes obtaining any sort of credit decision more difficult, especially if this is viewed as a "new" mortgage.

I wouldn't be hopeful of even having the guarantor removed, but there's nothing to stop you asking.

• Advertisement

roro2 wrote: »
    As above, the bank can't remove your Tracker without your agreement, so there's nothing to lose by talking to them.

But you need to be aware of a few things. It's not as simple as asking the bank to remove the guarantor - there was obviously a reason for the bank requiring the guarantor in the first place, and your financial strength would need to have improved substantially in the meantime so that the overall risks are much lower for the bank now, even after taking into account the fall in value of the bank's security in the period. (And considering 6 years ago was the peak for lax lending conditions.) There is no obligation on the bank to even consider your request and, arguably, they shouldn't.

But... if they agreed, it would also depend on how they viewed the new arrangement. If it requires new mortgage documentation, your Tracker will almost certainly be gone.

An added obstacle is that Bank of Scotland Ireland isn't lending anymore and actually doesn't even exist - it's mortgages are serviced by Certus, which makes obtaining any sort of credit decision more difficult, especially if this is viewed as a "new" mortgage.

I wouldn't be hopeful of even having the guarantor removed, but there's nothing to stop you asking.

Some very valid points - all accepted - thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Alanm

I went through this recently with Ulster Bank. They didn't make it easy, I had to apply as if I was taking out a mortgage for the first time (they needed all the usual bank statements/pay slips etc etc). It took around 6 months in total, however, I finally got a letter from them confirming that my guarantor had been removed. They never once mentioned removing my tracker or changing rate and I made sure to specify clearly on all documentation that my existing tracker rate should not be touched. As long as you qualify for the required mortgage on your own now, I think you should be able to get it done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

I was in same situation as your relative. I was all worried about not being able to get mortgage while already being on another mortgage. In the end, the bank gave me my approval anyhow. I am still guantor on another mortgage which I contribute 0 moneys too and I have my own mortgage. Is there any harm in your relative trying first to get mortgage approval first, and if refused, then your hand is forced.

Alanm wrote: »
    I went through this recently with Ulster Bank. They didn't make it easy, I had to apply as if I was taking out a mortgage for the first time (they needed all the usual bank statements/pay slips etc etc). It took around 6 months in total, however, I finally got a letter from them confirming that my guarantor had been removed. They never once mentioned removing my tracker or changing rate and I made sure to specify clearly on all documentation that my existing tracker rate should not be touched. As long as you qualify for the required mortgage on your own now, I think you should be able to get it done.

Many thanks Alanm - that helps a lot - Cheers

sKeith wrote: »
    I was in same situation as your relative. I was all worried about not being able to get mortgage while already being on another mortgage. In the end, the bank gave me my approval anyhow. I am still guantor on another mortgage which I contribute 0 moneys too and I have my own mortgage. Is there any harm in your relative trying first to get mortgage approval first, and if refused, then your hand is forced.

...Interesting! Thanks sKeith - I'll ask him to look into it...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

...Interesting! Thanks sKeith - I'll ask him to look into it...
    Hmmm, if he goes down that road and takes out his own mortgage and you default (anything can happen) he'll be up sh!t creek without a paddle.

Being a guarantor is a serious business. It's not just about getting a few forms stamped so someone can get a mortgage.

If he is to go down that road because he really wants to take out a mortgage and you are not able to remove him as guarantor then perhaps you should offer to be guarantor on his borrowings too, a sort of mutually assured destruction if you will ;)

murphaph wrote: »
    Hmmm, if he goes down that road and takes out his own mortgage and you default (anything can happen) he'll be up sh!t creek without a paddle.

Being a guarantor is a serious business. It's not just about getting a few forms stamped so someone can get a mortgage.

If he is to go down that road because he really wants to take out a mortgage and you are not able to remove him as guarantor then perhaps you should offer to be guarantor on his borrowings too, a sort of mutually assured destruction if you will ;)

Thanks

Advertisement